5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When are you doing your first oil change?

rsmeanie

Reaction score
I just did my first oil change today at 3,500 miles. Wanted to do it a bit earlier but didn't get around to it.
Agree with others that the filter location is terrible. For future changes I installed a Fumoto Valve to prevent the oil from draining onto the crossbar.

Quick question. Is the drain plug size and thread on the 2019 the same as previous years? I'm about to order my Fumoto valve and they only go up to 2017 for some reason. I'm assuming you bought an #F106N.

cra1g

Reaction score
Quick question. Is the drain plug size and thread on the 2019 the same as previous years? I'm about to order my Fumoto valve and they only go up to 2017 for some reason. I'm assuming you bought an #F106N.

I used the F106SX, but yeah, same size.

New2Ram2019

Reaction score
This entire thread is hilarious. Go with the manufacturer's recommendations... Funny how people are influenced by brands for oil...plugs....filters...intervals. These companies are playing you by influencing your thoughts on basic maintenance items - just because this is all that you can do personally to upkeep your vehicle. Oil is freaking oil...and filters match OEM or they do not. That said - please continue to pay more for different brands - and trust me, that quality of oil will make your air conditioner work well for that much longer :). Who on here has had a stuck valve or needed a ring job recently? :)

bgmshrm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This entire thread is hilarious. Go with the manufacturer's recommendations... Funny how people are influenced by brands for oil...plugs....filters...intervals. These companies are playing you by influencing your thoughts on basic maintenance items - just because this is all that you can do personally to upkeep your vehicle. Oil is freaking oil...and filters match OEM or they do not. That said - please continue to pay more for different brands - and trust me, that quality of oil will make your air conditioner work well for that much longer :). Who on here has had a stuck valve or needed a ring job recently? :)
Hahahahhahhahah I'm still going to use synthetic with an oem filter when it says to change it and not earlier maybe even mobil 1

New2Ram2019

Reaction score
Hahahahhahhahah I'm still going to use synthetic with an oem filter when it says to change it and not earlier maybe even mobil 1
Alright...to be fair...synthetic is a difference maker vs. crude... I just buy Amazon brand for $19 / 5qt.

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
I had my first change around 5100 miles, which is significantly more than I wanted. The dealer couldn’t squeeze me in around my schedule, so it got delayed a little. I typically follow a 4 to 5k rule as the oil is meant to be good for over 6k in this motor. We shall see. :)

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am waiting with anticipation of how fun it will be to remove my filter on my next oil change. I did the first oil change myself and hand tightened the filter and installed a fumoto plug. Brought the truck in for an unrelated warranty claim and the dealership took it upon themselves and torqued down the filter because it was part of their "all systems check" to test everything. They said it felt a little loose. I was p$ssed! Dealership service centers, ugh lol

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Amen. What I’ve been saying all along. There’s a nifty little computer in our trucks that will tell you when to do this.
FUD. Plain and simple.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Amen. What I’ve been saying all along. There’s a nifty little computer in our trucks that will tell you when to do this.
FUD. Plain and simple.
Yea well just remember that FCA in their wisdom also told minivan owners in the late 2000’s that their transmissions didnt need any fluid changes till 120,000 miles. Knowing Chrysler Corp’s reputation with transmissions, thats not likely great advice.
I trust countdown computers about as much.

bgmshrm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea well just remember that FCA in their wisdom also told minivan owners in the late 2000’s that their transmissions didnt need any fluid changes till 120,000 miles. Knowing Chrysler Corp’s reputation with transmissions, thats not likely great advice.
I trust countdown computers about as much.
apples and oranges . been going 10k plus miles on synthetic oils since the early 90s with perfect results . 120k on the tranny is a bit much though especially if the capacity is small

RAMLAMB

Reaction score
I just did my first oil change today at 3,500 miles. Wanted to do it a bit earlier but didn't get around to it.
Agree with others that the filter location is terrible. For future changes I installed a Fumoto Valve to prevent the oil from draining onto the crossbar.

Link to where to buy fumoto valve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
apples and oranges . been going 10k plus miles on synthetic oils since the early 90s with perfect results . 120k on the tranny is a bit much though especially if the capacity is small
Apples and oranges for fluid types but not for conditions. Drivers consistently ignore the actual conditions they operate in and place too much trust in the magic countdown percentage software. Does that system consider towing, idling, temperature of the fluid as well as the outside? Dust and environmental conditions the engine is operated in? I doubt it.

Besides, the clinching point is missing out on the donuts, coffee and popcorn that is available to more frequent visits, as well as the more often courtesy inspection results and listening to the various upsell strategies. You are being fed and entertained at the same time. Now if you go to the Walmart oil change place, well, maybe a 15K change interval synthetic might be smarter...

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Miles driven is not the best meter to determine an oil change interval for the masses. There is such a huge difference in say someone who drives mostly all highway and someone who drives mostly city miles. Hours is a better measure but of coarse you still need to factor in towing, offroad, and driving conditions.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Like I posted somewhere else, Amsoil has several large truck engine testimonials where the same synthetic fill has gone in the hundreds of thousands of miles (over 300K) with only filter changes.
Got to wonder about the additive package and how it lasts...
The other thing about oils is how long the average person keeps their vehicle. Many buy and think “I’ll drive this till the wheels fall off” then the next redesign lures them away... so how much does it really matter? (purists and fleet managers aside)

Last edited by a moderator:

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just remember that, no matter how you drive or what the conditions, following the computer's oil life meter and changing the oil as directed will ALWAYS assure your engine makes it past the warranty.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Just remember that, no matter how you drive or what the conditions, following the computer's oil life meter and changing the oil as directed will ALWAYS assure your engine makes it past the warranty.
Just as important is to maintain warranty coverage by following the recommended intervals and oil type... maybe thats part of what you were saying.
Where its really important is the extended warranties. A poster related how he had gotten denied by FCA due to insufficient documentation of oil changes (on his own).

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just as important is to maintain warranty coverage by following the recommended intervals and oil type... maybe thats part of what you were saying.
Where its really important is the extended warranties. A poster related how he had gotten denied by FCA due to insufficient documentation of oil changes (on his own).
I was commenting sarcastically that following the oil life meter will assure that your motor last past the warranty. That's all FCA cares about. Personally, I'd like to see the motor last 250k+ miles and feel better changing the oil at 50% oil life. Maybe longer if I spend more time on the highway.

There is tremendous pressure for automakers to extend oil change intervals to reduce environmental impact. Their recommendations (and requirements) are a balance between motor life and the environment.

I choose motor life. Full synthetic with a 5k to 7k interval just for peace of mind. I also only use Tier 1 gas when possible. I'm sure others have different practices and may have motors that run 250k miles. I understand that Hemis can wear down the cam lobes prematurely and clean oil helps.

Last edited:

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I hear ya. My biggest concern when buying a used car is when its from a dealer, with no service history and a “fresh” oil change. The previous owner could have gone 20K for all I could tell.

Users who are viewing this thread