5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When are you doing your first oil change?

inlo

Reaction score
After discussing maintenance requirements for warranty with Ram service, my first oil change was at 1 year - ~4800 miles.

Service manager said that Ram requires the oil to be changed according to the oil life meter, but no longer than 1 year between changes.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
After discussing maintenance requirements for warranty with Ram service, my first oil change was at 1 year - ~4800 miles.

Service manager said that Ram requires the oil to be changed according to the oil life meter, but no longer than 1 year between changes.
That’s consistent with the owner’s manual.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The oil life meter most certainly does not take in to consideration for measuring "moisture Content" in the oil. A well insulated garage with nearly they same temps changing very gradual with never freezing weather inside while sitting a bit more would produce less condensation and allow for a little longer oil change of which is does not. But being very old school I will never allow my motor to go 10000 miles or once a year with an oil change in spite of insulated garage.

Back on the thread question as for now....I changed first at 2000 miles again at 50% of life meter and now with the 3rd was 75% of oil meter or 6000 miles which ever come first.Full Syn.Penzoil Ultra. with MOPAR SRT Filter the same as I run in the Scat Pack Charger.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well we’ve got 13 pages on personal opinions for oils and change intervals, bout’ the same for what octane gas to use and how to wash the truck. Have to think up another... oh there’s always tires! :unsure: I try to get them as round as possible, unless the square ones are on a good sale.
Nice that we have all these options to consider, as opposed to what oil and when to change it in our uh Russian Lada...

Jeet

Reaction score
I am at a point of changing oil and after going over all 13 pages and all sorts of beautiful comments, I researched and found that Mobil Super Synthetic Oil meets Chrysler MS-6395 requirements (Link: https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-super/mobil-super-synthetic#0W-20), please correct me if i am wrong. Also will go with K&N filter. I have always used Mobil 1 and would like to stay with it. Any thoughts or recommendation will be appreciated.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am at a point of changing oil and after going over all 13 pages and all sorts of beautiful comments, I researched and found that Mobil Super Synthetic Oil meets Chrysler MS-6395 requirements (Link: https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-super/mobil-super-synthetic#0W-20), please correct me if i am wrong. Also will go with K&N filter. I have always used Mobil 1 and would like to stay with it. Any thoughts or recommendation will be appreciated.
Keep in mind that Mobil Super is not the same grade as Mobil 1. Mobil labels them both as synthetics, but that is a topic of its own. From Mobil’s FAQ:

“Mobil 1™ is part of our line of advanced full synthetic oils. It uses the latest in additive and base oil technologies that provide superior protection, and outperforms Mobil Super™ Synthetic. Consider that Mobil 1 motor oils are chosen by many of the world's leading car manufacturers and more NASCAR® teams use Mobil 1 than any other motor oil brand. Mobil 1 synthetic oil has provided exceptional performance throughout its 40+-year history. Our Product comparison chart shows how these oils differ.”

Since Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 Extended Performance (my previous favorite oil) are not Chrysler certified, many of us are running Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (similar to M1 EP) or Pennzoil Platinum (similar to M1).

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does that system consider towing, idling, temperature of the fluid as well as the outside? Dust and environmental conditions the engine is operated in? I doubt it.

Why doubt it? It certainly COULD consider every bit of that. It has all the data to be able to factor in all of that except, I suppose, dust. And it doesn't need you to be in Tow/Haul mode to tell if you're towing, either. It could tell just by fuel burn rate, and maybe even tranny fluid temp.

I don't reckon it can consider driving in dusty conditions. But, if you service the air filter properly and per the maintenance schedule, and change the oil and filter per schedule (including at least once a year if you don't drive a lot of miles), I'm thinking dust is not going to be a problem for the engine internals. I don't know. Maybe if you literally live and drive in the desert ALL the time.

The oil life meter most certainly does not take in to consideration for measuring "moisture Content" in the oil.

Does it really need to? As long as you drive it somewhat regularly and you let it get up to temp, it will boil the water right off every time the oil temp gets to 212 degrees. If you're not driving it enough to keep the water out of the oil, the "or once a year" part of the service interval covers that - so the truck's computer doesn't really need to worry about that. Right?

JRD

Reaction score
Well we’ve got 13 pages on personal opinions for oils and change intervals, bout’ the same for what octane gas to use and how to wash the truck. Have to think up another... oh there’s always tires! :unsure: I try to get them as round as possible, unless the square ones are on a good sale.
Nice that we have all these options to consider, as opposed to what oil and when to change it in our uh Russian Lada...
Or better yet, is it a cheese pizza or plain! lol

Jako

Reaction score
Why doubt it? It certainly COULD consider every bit of that. It has all the data to be able to factor in all of that except, I suppose, dust. And it doesn't need you to be in Tow/Haul mode to tell if you're towing, either. It could tell just by fuel burn rate, and maybe even tranny fluid temp.

I don't reckon it can consider driving in dusty conditions. But, if you service the air filter properly and per the maintenance schedule, and change the oil and filter per schedule (including at least once a year if you don't drive a lot of miles), I'm thinking dust is not going to be a problem for the engine internals. I don't know. Maybe if you literally live and drive in the desert ALL the time.

Does it really need to? As long as you drive it somewhat regularly and you let it get up to temp, it will boil the water right off every time the oil temp gets to 212 degrees. If you're not driving it enough to keep the water out of the oil, the "or once a year" part of the service interval covers that - so the truck's computer doesn't really need to worry about that. Right?
You make a lot of good points. My concern is oil type (i.e. conventional, blend, synthetic). There is no way to change the oil meter to my knowledge. My first oil change was full synthetic and my second was conventional, both done at the same dealership. Unfortunate for me there was no discussion of oil type with service and conventional oil was used the second time despite using synthetic the first time. I was taught to change the oil (conventional) at 3000-3500 miles and synthetic can go to 10,000 although I doubt I would go that far. My "conventional" will be changed shortly to synthetic along with my "winter/aka salt" wheels. My point being the dealership could put conventional oil in and a person who is not knowledgeable could drive 10,000 miles with conventional oil. To add to this equation, service said it was blend while looking up the # on the receipt indicated it was conventional. In the future I will do my own.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You make a lot of good points. My concern is oil type (i.e. conventional, blend, synthetic). There is no way to change the oil meter to my knowledge. My first oil change was full synthetic and my second was conventional, both done at the same dealership. Unfortunate for me there was no discussion of oil type with service and conventional oil was used the second time despite using synthetic the first time. I was taught to change the oil (conventional) at 3000-3500 miles and synthetic can go to 10,000 although I doubt I would go that far. My "conventional" will be changed shortly to synthetic along with my "winter/aka salt" wheels. My point being the dealership could put conventional oil in and a person who is not knowledgeable could drive 10,000 miles with conventional oil. To add to this equation, service said it was blend while looking up the # on the receipt indicated it was conventional. In the future I will do my own.

I bought a service plan with my truck. It includes oil changes every 5000 miles. With that frequency, I don't mind if it's dino oil. Buying the package is one way I make sure that I stay on top of my oil changes. With my 4th Gen, I did the same thing and I got the oil changed right on schedule, all the time. When the package was done, then I fell back to getting the oil changed whenever the truck told me to and sometimes not until a few weeks had passed after it told me it was time.

I got the maintenance plan with the truck for just over dealer cost. It worked out to something like $50 or 60 per visit and it includes ALL the scheduled maintenance for 10 yrs or 100K miles, not just oil and filters. Service every 5000. With all the extra fluid (beyond oil) changes (e.g. at 30K, 60K, and 90K) plus air filter and cabin air filter changes, etc., I think it was well worth it.

One thing about synthetic and longer change intervals is that the type of oil is not going to change how much dirt gets into it. The oil filter takes out the big stuff, but it doesn't take it all out or your oil wouldn't get black over time. So, using synthetic and going for longer intervals means more time with that dirt circulating in the engine. One more reason I don't mind using dino oil and having 5K changes.

Jeet

Reaction score
Keep in mind that Mobil Super is not the same grade as Mobil 1. Mobil labels them both as synthetics, but that is a topic of its own. From Mobil’s FAQ:

“Mobil 1™ is part of our line of advanced full synthetic oils. It uses the latest in additive and base oil technologies that provide superior protection, and outperforms Mobil Super™ Synthetic. Consider that Mobil 1 motor oils are chosen by many of the world's leading car manufacturers and more NASCAR® teams use Mobil 1 than any other motor oil brand. Mobil 1 synthetic oil has provided exceptional performance throughout its 40+-year history. Our Product comparison chart shows how these oils differ.”

Since Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 Extended Performance (my previous favorite oil) are not Chrysler certified, many of us are running Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (similar to M1 EP) or Pennzoil Platinum (similar to M1).
Thank you SpeedyV for this great info. I will look info Pennzoil Platinum as well.
Jeet

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
While I understand the advantages in allowing the truck computer to say when to service, it boils down to trusting it is accurate and waiting to 10K or even more is really advantageous for the motor.
Given that I can scrape together the occasional $30-60 every now and then, I will baby the hemi and change fluids more frequently.
I (have) performed the same (wasteful) practice with other fluids such as coolant, ATF, power steering and brakes too. Environmental wrecker some politicians would say. Guess I’m an unregenerate.

judsonlimited

Reaction score
Lots of good information here. This is my first brand new truck, all my other vehicles have been pre-owned. The dealer gave me 3 free changes and tire rotations so when i hit 1k next weekend probably, i'll be going in for a lube, or i may just wait until they get my license plates, which will probably be the same time.

My question is, coming from the GM world where they have Dexos1 oil specs and burn a quart or two every 5k miles; do these hemis have oil burning problems? I know RAM recommends penzoil or shell per the manual. My Chevy said any oil that was Dexos certified and i've tried maybe 4 or 5 different oils and ended up with the same oil burning problems.
Is the Penzoil the for sure way to go? Don't even mention Amsoil because i'm not doing it, its not cost effective for me.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought a service plan with my truck. It includes oil changes every 5000 miles. With that frequency, I don't mind if it's dino oil. Buying the package is one way I make sure that I stay on top of my oil changes. With my 4th Gen, I did the same thing and I got the oil changed right on schedule, all the time. When the package was done, then I fell back to getting the oil changed whenever the truck told me to and sometimes not until a few weeks had passed after it told me it was time.

I got the maintenance plan with the truck for just over dealer cost. It worked out to something like $50 or 60 per visit and it includes ALL the scheduled maintenance for 10 yrs or 100K miles, not just oil and filters. Service every 5000. With all the extra fluid (beyond oil) changes (e.g. at 30K, 60K, and 90K) plus air filter and cabin air filter changes, etc., I think it was well worth it.

I just got home from having my first oil change done at my local dealer (not even where I bought the truck) at 5300 miles.

It was covered by the Mopar service plan I bought. So, no charge and they changed my oil and filter, topped up any other fluids that needed it, and rotated my tires.

When I looked at my $0 invoice at the end, I was really surprised to see that the oil change included synthetic oil. And it said 7 quarts?! It does not say what kind of actual oil. Just a part number - 5166240-PB and then the description of "OIL 5W20 01081090".

For what I paid for the maintenance plan, I am now REALLY happy with it!

lost demon

Reaction score
How many miles are you guys doing your first oil changes at?
the manual calls for change at 10000 miles. now for us old timer that seems a lot but with the newer synthetic oils , that should not be an issue. I would suggest a shorter change if you use your truck for extreme chores. the manual for my old 04 had two schedules to go by. A&B. A for hard driving every 3000 miles. B for simpler driving every 6000 miles. I just changed mine every 5000 . it was easier to notice when change was due without looking in my book for scheduled maintenance. but like others have said your info system will remind you.

Jako

Reaction score
I just got home from having my first oil change done at my local dealer (not even where I bought the truck) at 5300 miles.

It was covered by the Mopar service plan I bought. So, no charge and they changed my oil and filter, topped up any other fluids that needed it, and rotated my tires.

When I looked at my $0 invoice at the end, I was really surprised to see that the oil change included synthetic oil. And it said 7 quarts?! It does not say what kind of actual oil. Just a part number - 5166240-PB and then the description of "OIL 5W20 01081090".

For what I paid for the maintenance plan, I am now REALLY happy with it!
According to my first oil change invoice: Installed 5166240PA :OIL: 5W20 SYNTHETIC. The mechanic showed me the penzoil container as far as what was used. No knowledge as far as the A or B.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
According to my first oil change invoice: Installed 5166240PA :OIL: 5W20 SYNTHETIC. The mechanic showed me the penzoil container as far as what was used. No knowledge as far as the A or B.

Hmmm... Where yours says SYNTHETIC mine just says 01081090. I wonder what that means. Now you've got me wondering if they actually put synthetic in.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmmm... Where yours says SYNTHETIC mine just says 01081090. I wonder what that means. Now you've got me wondering if they actually put synthetic in.

And a quick search turned this up:

So I guess I did get synthetic.

Jako

Reaction score
And a quick search turned this up:

[/QUOTE
My second oil change (same dealership) is similar to yours as it did not name the oil, just a number. I was told it was a blend but I referenced the number and it was conventional penzoil.

Users who are viewing this thread