5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When are you doing your first oil change?

Kone

Reaction score
I dunno... if going by the oil life monitors it sure seems excessive on the miles. I'd love to go close to 10k but not sure I could get myself to do that.

I normally do my own changes but I'm getting older (and knowing what a mess these trucks are to do!) I had a local drive-up with car wash place do you first at 3500 miles and NEVER again. Drips all over the garage floor and driveway, coming from the filter area. I was sure it was old oil and just messy, not a leak, but took it back and asked them to get under to get a good look. I knew better but got impatient but even with dealer service I'd expect a mess as these Lube Techs just bang them out.

Will be doing my own from now on and will do again in another 3-4K with synth then will stick to 6-7k intervals from there on.

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
Because we trade vehicles every two or three years, we normally let the dealership do all our oil changes so it will be in the database. That seems to look good when trading. Normally, we wait until we get something in the mail from the local dealership telling us it's time and including a discounted price. It's often pretty inexpensive and they do the software updates, tire rotations and the other stuff at the same time.

Conundrum

Reaction score
Just hit 4400 miles. I think I'm getting my oil changed next week at a local shop. Thought about getting it done at 1000 miles but I decided to hold off. I think I will be OK.

ameyer81

Reaction score
Did my first one at 2400. Now at 4k and will probably get the next change around 10k.

speedbyu

[hacked account]
Reaction score
I used to get the break in oil out at 500 miles, not sure now with the synthetic. I do like the idea of 1000 miles then whenever it gets down to 10 to 20 percent.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I brought my truck in at 1,000 miles to do an oil change, but my selling dealership didn't want to do it because they were slammed and also told me to wait until the computer said so. I said I always do a break-in oil change, and then the service advisor said, we don't even do that on the SRT or HC engined cars, that they also only come in when the computer says to do so.

It was clear to me they didn't have time and used that as an excuse to avoid doing too many cars, even though they overcharged for their oil changes at $100!

I eventually waited until 4,500 miles, when my computer was at 45%, and did it myself. If I had a chance to do it over again, I would have done my first DIY at 1,000 miles, but I got really busy and pushed it back. That being said, I think 4,500 miles isn't bad for the first oil change, assuming it's synthetic that's in there the first place.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's been awhile.. but I 'think' I did the first one at 1,500 - 2k miles, 5k miles, and every 5k since. Full Synthetic.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did 500,1500, 5000k on first 3. From what I remember.
How did everyone’s oil look on first change if you diy or got a sample/see it come out? Doesn’t matter what miles it was done

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m currently at 3,958 miles and the computer says I have 55% oil life remaining. But, I’m calling to schedule my first oil change because it has been 12 months since I bought the truck.
You don’t do a lot of traveling with your truck in a year, it reminds me of my previous truck, I only used it when I had to, I found it too hard on gas, it also was once a year oil changes.

It is important to keep up with the oil change schedule, 👍🏻

MontFla

Reaction score
Today 2038 miles. I bought the truck in the 19th of February and drove it a lot for fun the last few weeks

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I usually drop the factory oil at about 2-3,000 miles in case there’s any small metal shavings or other debris left over from powertrain manufacturing. An assembled motor is far from spotless so good to get that out fairly soon. After that I go by the oil life monitor which is usually 10,000 miles.

Been doing that with all my new vehicles over the years with no issues whatsoever. Changing oil every 3000 miles is a waste. That advice was good 30-40 years ago but we’ve come a long way since then with drastically better oil quality and much more efficient and better built motors.

Users who are viewing this thread