5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the best product to use to cleaner leather interior

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Polymer coatings can last year's. Ceramic and Graphene coatings are polymer based. Most are primarily polymer and very little ceramic or graphene. These same coatings or variants of them are used on leather and vinyl seating.

So, the note left on any Ram with leather referring to cleaning is 100% accurate. Seats aren't made like they were when we were teenagers.

Leather conditioner or cleaners on a newer Ram won't do squat except possibly damage the factory sealant.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Because that stuff doesn't last much more than a week...maybe two. Polymer is nothing like a paint clearcoat (hopefully you know that). So it's going to fade which means that the seats will basically just have a slower rate of absorbing anything thats on it. The coating is nothing more than a seat cover and you can't condition or fully clean your seats without taking the cover off... right? Next thing....my argument was against water based conditioners/cleaners, so when did polymer come up in this conversation? Lol.

Whatever man
1st you said it had no UV protection, wrong.
Now you're telling us the Gyeon coating on the seat only last a week, yet mine been on since July and is still working as dye transfer wipes right off and water still beads.
You're now saying the polymer coating wont last, contrary to professionals and GST
Never did I say you couldn't clean the seats and every link I posted said cleaning the seat is the most important part of making the seat last
The links also provided speak to the coating and how conditioners will not help modern leather, you however disagree yet provide NOTHING but your opinion
And your argument against water based conditioners (I never said anything about water based cleaners) and again, i provided links with professionals vs your opinion
Lastly, polymers were part of the conversation because GST, the maker of Longhorn and Limited seats, uses it on their seats.

So, for the last MF'n time, if you don't want to use it, DON'T but thus far you've been shown wrong an everything you said so rather than continue to f up the OP threads with your need to challenge me, state your opinion to the OP and leave it at that. The OP has eyes and a brain and can read and come to his own conclusion with what's been presented.
People like you, damn, wrong at every turn but still continue

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Whatever man
1st you said it had no UV protection, wrong.
Now you're telling us the Gyeon coating on the seat only last a week, yet mine been on since July and is still working as dye transfer wipes right off and water still beads.
You're now saying the polymer coating wont last, contrary to professionals and GST
Never did I say you couldn't clean the seats and every link I posted said cleaning the seat is the most important part of making the seat last
The links also provided speak to the coating and how conditioners will not help modern leather, you however disagree yet provide NOTHING but your opinion
And your argument against water based conditioners (I never said anything about water based cleaners) and again, i provided links with professionals vs your opinion
Lastly, polymers were part of the conversation because GST, the maker of Longhorn and Limited seats, uses it on their seats.

So, for the last MF'n time, if you don't want to use it, DON'T but thus far you've been shown wrong an everything you said so rather than continue to f up the OP threads with your need to challenge me, state your opinion to the OP and leave it at that. The OP has eyes and a brain and can read and come to his own conclusion with what's been presented.
People like you, damn, wrong at every turn but still continue
Dude, you're not even comprehending anything I said....original post was about WATER based conditioners which have ZERO UV protection...that was my argument. And no one here has proven squat otherwise. And as far as ceramic/polymer "NASA approved" protective coating...it's a ploy to get your money....nothing more. Unbelievable that you actually fall for this crap lmao! 😂

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Dude, you're not even comprehending anything I said....original post was about WATER based conditioners which have ZERO UV protection...that was my argument. And no one here has proven squat otherwise. And as far as ceramic/polymer "NASA approved" protective coating...it's a ploy to get your money....nothing more. Unbelievable that you actually fall for this crap lmao! 😂
You realize what we are saying is to not spend any money on products for the new Ram seats, right?
The factory sealant will last year's. Just wipe the seats down with warm water and a very mild soap regularly and keep them clean and dry. Once there are signs of the coating no longer working then reapply a sealant. DO NOT USE conditioners or cleaners unless you want to expedite the deterioration of the factory sealant.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You realize what we are saying is to not spend any money on products for the new Ram seats, right?
The factory sealant will last year's. Just wipe the seats down with warm water and a very mild soap regularly and keep them clean and dry. Once there are signs of the coating no longer working then reapply a sealant. DO NOT USE conditioners or cleaners unless you want to expedite the deterioration of the factory sealant.
Nope...missed most of that because I was too busy watching "bow down* contradict himself. He...at 2:54pm (my time) advised to use a water base conditioner and I was arguing that a water based conditioner doesn't protect against UV Rays. Somehow it spun off onto this, that and the 4th...smh lol.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Nope...missed most of that because I was too busy watching "bow down* contradict himself. He...at 2:54pm (my time) advised to use a water base conditioner and I was arguing that a water based conditioner doesn't protect against UV Rays. Somehow it spun off onto this, that and the 4th...smh lol.
Actually there are several water based conditioners on the market that have a UV protectant in their mix. Ex: 303, Chamberlain's, Meguiar's Gold Class.

Now, I would not recommend them as you have to reapply every 30-45 days. For the money you would waste just buy a real sealant and be done for several years once the factory sealant wears off.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Actually there are several water based conditioners on the market that have a UV protectant in their mix. Ex: 303, Chamberlain's, Meguiar's Gold Class.

Now, I would not recommend them as you have to reapply every 30-45 days. For the money you would waste just buy a real sealant and be done for several years once the factory sealant wears off.
You may be correct regarding the sealants...no argument here. However...the water based products you listed are actually just cleaners...not actual conditioners (even though they'll say "cleans and conditions"). The point of a conditioner is to keep the leather soft and pliable, some have the UV protection in them which does help, but wont protect against liquid or food stains like a sealant would. Kind of like a trade off in a way.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
You may be correct regarding the sealants...no argument here. However...the water based products you listed are actually just cleaners...not actual conditioners (even though they'll say "cleans and conditions"). The point of a conditioner is to keep the leather soft and pliable, some have the UV protection in them which does help, but wont protect against liquid or food stains like a sealant would. Kind of like a trade off in a way.
Respectfully disagree with you on that statement. Any good detailing company makes a leather conditioner and a cleaner as separate products. Some do have a 2-in-1 (Don't buy those, they're junk). But, the conditioners and cleaners have two totally different chemical make-ups for two totally different sets of capabilities. You can't compare them to each other.

Carussell

Reaction score
I appreciate all of the feed back!! But man I have never been more confused!!

I may just call my dealer and see what they use? Idk. I’ll probably do more research also. But again I do appreciate all of the different points of view and personal trial and errors.

BowDown

Reaction score

Which you were once again wrong about as you are now.
Read the link I posted, you don't need to condition the seats, it clearly said "if you feel like you must condition, here's what to use" and why.

The only reason I'm using anything is I have light leather and I'm using it to release dye transfer, that's it. The UV protection is a plus.
If my seats were black, I wouldn't use anything but warm soap and water and be done.
RIF, try it

Last edited:

BowDown

Reaction score

I may just call my dealer and see what they use? Idk. I’ll probably do more research also. But again I do appreciate all of the different points of view and personal trial and errors.

Just follow the directions on the card on the seat. Dye transfer from your jeans is the only thing to concern yourself with

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Which you were once again wrong about as you are now.
Read the link I posted, you don't need to condition the seats, it clearly said "if you feel like you must condition, here's what to use" and why.

The only reason I'm using anything is I have light leather and I'm using it to release dye transfer, that's it. The UV protection is a plus.
If my seats were black, I wouldn't use anything but warm soap and water and be done.
RIF, try it
But I'm not wrong...I just went back and looked at your comment...you clearly said use water based. Thats how this whole conversation got started. Smh...

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score

Call an automotive detailer before you call the dealer. Dealerships ruin paint and interior finishes on the regular.

BowDown

Reaction score
But I'm not wrong...I just went back and looked at your comment...you clearly said use water based. Thats how this whole conversation got started. Smh...

You're absolutely wrong, I did say use water-based if you're going to use something and guess what? FCA says to use warm soap and water on the instructions on the seats or is warm soap and water not water based?
it's your opinion not to use water based conditioners, not the opinion of any experts so DO USE WATER BASED CONDITIONERS. Not sure what you don't understand about your opinion versus experts.

You're wrong, accept the fact that you're wrong and move on

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You're absolutely wrong, I did say use water-based if you're going to use something and guess what? FCA says to use warm soap and water on the instructions on the seats or is warm soap and water not water based?
it's your opinion not to use water based conditioners, not the opinion of any experts so DO USE WATER BASED CONDITIONERS. Not sure what you don't understand about your opinion versus experts.

You're wrong, accept the fact that you're wrong and move on
Yes...use water based CLEANER lmao. That I totally agree with. Amazing...how can you sit there admitting to what you said just to turn around and tell me I was wrong about what you said. Omg...it's like trying to talk with a 8 year old lol!

BowDown

Reaction score
Yes...use water based CLEANER lmao. That I totally agree with. Amazing...how can you sit there admitting to what you said just to turn around and tell me I was wrong about what you said. Omg...it's like trying to talk with a 8 year old lol!
No man, you're the child, move on. You've been wrong in every post but you can't let go. You provided no validation for your opinion, no one agreed with you and no one cares, move on

Users who are viewing this thread