5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the best product to use to cleaner leather interior

Carussell

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2020 eco diesel Laramie Longhorn. It has the light mountain interior. What is the best process to cleaning (detailing the interior)? It’s not dirty just has a little dust.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I recently bought a 2020 eco diesel Laramie Longhorn. It has the light mountain interior. What is the best process to cleaning (detailing the interior)? It’s not dirty just has a little dust.
This...for the leather seats. You can get it on Amazon too. It's cheap, works great and smells like new conditioned leather.

shurik74

Reaction score
Previously when I owned Acura's and Lexus's I used Leatherique which worked awesome but not sure if I can use it on my Longhorn saddle/black interior though

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Read this carefully

Why wouldn’t I want this for my car seats?​

morpheus.jpg

What if I told you everything you know about leather conditioner for car seats is wrong?

It’s true, Neo. Want to know why?

Because your car seats are clear coated.

Just like your exterior paint, there is a clear layer of protection applied to the surface of your car’s leather seats. And this holds true with almost all modern car leathers.

In its most basic form, the clear coating is a crystal clear layer of flexible plastic material on the surface of your car seats. It’s meant to shield your beautiful leather seats from the everyday “oops” situations that we all have.

Admit it…. You’ve spilled coffee in your lap while driving. If you have kids, one of them has lost the top of their ice cream cone in the back seat (and if it hasn’t happened yet, IT WILL). And then the worst…. Rover gets sick.

Ugh. Reality is: life happens in your car.

So thankfully auto manufacturers have thoughtfully added this layer of protection on your seats that makes them nearly bulletproof to all of these things that can (and will) happen in your car.

All that said…. Your seats are also bulletproof to leather conditioner.

Think about it…. If you apply leather conditioner to your car seats, you will be applying it to an impenetrable clear coat and the conditioner will never reach the leather to do its job.

In fact, applying leather conditioner to your car seats can be counterproductive and actually make them dirty!

Why? Think about it… the conditioner will leave a tacky layer of an often oil-based product on your seats that can actually ATTRACT grime!

So bottom line, applying leather conditioner to car seats isn’t the best idea. It certainly won’t harm your seats, but the conditioner (unfortunately) won’t be doing you any favors like it does on your leather shoes and baseball glove.

Use a water based conditioner like GTECHNIQ L1 Leather Guard or Gyeon Q² LeatherCoat
I actually ceramic (Gyeon Q² LeatherShield) coated my seats (Indigo/Frost) then used Gyeon Q² LeatherCoat for maintenance

Carussell

Reaction score
Previously when I owned Acura's and Lexus's I used Leatherique which worked awesome but not sure if I can use it on my Longhorn saddle/black interior though

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BXQXR3...ips.com/auto-leather-conditioner.html[/QUOTE]
Use a water based conditioner like GTECHNIQ L1 Leather Guard or Gyeon Q² LeatherCoat
I actually ceramic (Gyeon Q² LeatherShield) coated my seats (Indigo/Frost) then used Gyeon Q² LeatherCoat for maintenance

I read where it says you shouldn’t have to use conditioner on new leather.do you know if that’s true?

Carussell

Reaction score
Read this carefully

Does it harm the leather any? I’m trying to keep my seat from cracking and such

BowDown

Reaction score
Does it harm the leather any? I’m trying to keep my seat from cracking and such

Should not as it protects the leather from UV light and doesn't add oils to it. Leather conditioners are useless and reading the link speaks to why, the seats have a polymer clear coat protectant so conditioners never reaches the leather. I also had I/R ceramic tint added to all windows to block heat and UV light. I wouldn't use anything oily on the leather.
Since you have the saddle, I'd ceramic coat your seats too, my wifes car has that same color and it does transfer dye from your clothes to it 20200725_114022.jpg

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Tuff Stuff. On leather or "leather" just put it on for 30 seconds and let it work and gently wipe off with a paper towel. Don't scrub or use an abrasive.

kilcher

Reaction score

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are a few reviews that says this slowly deteriorates the leather
Not a chance. I've used this stuff for years...not only on leather seats but leather belts, jackets, etc.. the best kind to use is either gel based, or cream based. Never water based, H2O that's allowed to dry over and over again will crack the leather like crazy.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Read this carefully

Water based leather conditioner that's allowed to dry over and over again will allow the leather to crack like crazy. Not recommended ever!

BowDown

Reaction score
Water based leather conditioner that's allowed to dry over and over again will allow the leather to crack like crazy. Not recommended ever!

You may want to read the link.
And the Gyeon isn't allowed to dry, you wipe it on with a MF towel

• Virtually all car leathers used today are finished with a clear protective coating that is applied for protection and durability of the leather. (maybe you have a pair of leather shoes, a leather jacket etc. And maybe you have noticed that on some of your leather goods that water will have an effect on some of the leather (the leather discolors temporarily) while your other leather goods remain unaffected. This is because the unaffected leather goods have also been clear coated just like your car leather has)
  • This means you will actually be cleaning, treating, or conditioning a clear protective layer that is made up of different types of resins, polymers, synthetic this and synthetic that, call it whatever works for you....point is that you are not dealing with the actual leather, but the clear protective layer; just like the clear coat on your car paint.
  • Keeping your car leather clean is the most important and critical part to the health and beauty of your car leather. I have customer's cars (as well as my own) that I have never used any form of conditioner on the leather. What I have done is kept the leather clean consistently over the life of the car, and the leather looks virtually new after over 10 years of daily use.
  • With all that said, I still believe that auto leather conditioners can still play a role in the health and beauty of your car's leather interiors.It mostly depends on you and how you like the appearance of your car leather to look, as well as how you like it to feel.

Secondly, the Limited and the Longhorn use Natura Plus leather from http://www.gstautoleather.com/innovative_options.html
its coated. Not sure the other trims use this

Last edited:

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You may want to read the link.
And the Gyeon isn't allowed to dry, you wipe it on with a MF towel
It's a hypocritical article. Saying that one compound won't go through some BS magic layer of clearcoat but water or a other compound will..? Lol. And of course its a sales scheme to make you spend 5X more money for a leather conditioner that, in the end, doesn't work any better than the one I (or the guy above) recommends. Sorry...I learn from trial and error...and my trails showed me water based cleaning agents on leather is NEVER a good idea.

BowDown

Reaction score
It's a hypocritical article. Saying that one compound won't go through some BS magic layer of clearcoat but water or a other compound will..? Lol. And of course its a sales scheme to make you spend 5X more money for a leather conditioner that, in the end, doesn't work any better than the one I (or the guy above) recommends. Sorry...I learn from trial and error...and my trails showed me water based cleaning agents on leather is NEVER a good idea.

It didn't say that and he isn't selling anything.
Don't like it, don't use it. I do and my dash isn't coming apart like some others using "conditioners"

OP, heres the tag that came on your seats

img_5796-jpg.29398
img_5795-jpg.29397

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It didn't say that and he isn't selling anything.
Don't like it, don't use it. I do and my dash isn't coming apart like some others using "conditioners"

OP, heres the tag that came on your seats

img_5796-jpg.29398
img_5795-jpg.29397
Dash??? I thought we were talking about leather seats...?

BowDown

Reaction score
Dash??? I thought we were talking about leather seats...?

Longhorn = Leather Dash too. He can use the same product for all the leather. Again, don't like it, don't use it but you're wrong about water and the seats as it clearly states on the tag

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Longhorn = Leather Dash too. He can use the same product for all the leather. Again, don't like it, don't use it but you're wrong about water and the seats as it clearly states on the tag
Theres a difference between cleaning the leather and using a conditioner....just thought you should know. Thanks. Oh...and anything that's water based will not protect against UV Rays FYI. I'm just on here trying to educate and don't want people making same mistakes I've made a long time ago. So please don't tell me I'm wrong when you clearly have little experience.

BowDown

Reaction score
Theres a difference between cleaning the leather and using a conditioner....just thought you should know. Thanks. Oh...and anything that's water based will not protect against UV Rays FYI. I'm just on here trying to educate and don't want people making same mistakes I've made a long time ago. So please don't tell me I'm wrong when you clearly have little experience.

How does leather conditioner reach the leather on a clear polymer coated leather seat?

HIGHLY PROTECTIVE​

Just one layer of Q² LeatherCoat ensures a high level of protection as the coating itself is hydrophobic and repels both liquids and dirt. It also provides strong protection against UV rays, allowing you to keep the freshness of colors for a long time, even in hot and sunny conditions. Q² LeatherCoat is designed to protect leather from dirt, sweat, salt and fats. Its hydrophobic properties and strong bonding to the surface help to protect against pollutants that may penetrate the structure of your trim.
Advanced quartz coating specially formulated for automotive leather. Q² LeatherShield is suitable for every type of leather produced to date and does not change the finish of your upholstery. Very easy to apply, only one layer required. Repels dirt and prevents discolouration, protects against liquids and UV rays.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How does leather conditioner reach the leather on a clear polymer coated leather seat?

Because that stuff doesn't last much more than a week...maybe two. Polymer is nothing like a paint clearcoat (hopefully you know that). So it's going to fade which means that the seats will basically just have a slower rate of absorbing anything thats on it. The coating is nothing more than a seat cover and you can't condition or fully clean your seats without taking the cover off... right? Next thing....my argument was against water based conditioners/cleaners, so when did polymer come up in this conversation? Lol.

Users who are viewing this thread