5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is Known about the Bed Utility Group Options

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That is the same bed extender I have except it says AMP...now I know what I am going to do when I get some free time.

I can't say enough good things about a bed extender. I use mine so much we have decided we have to get an 8 foot bed. And the bed extender will be installed and I am sure we will still find a reason to use it.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a growing suspicion that RAM legal has decided to drop the RamBox extender functionality by simply deleting the four attachment points near the bed like @Douglas31 received. That would line up with the documentation change.

I'm imagining someone overloaded their bed, the extender broke and spewed pots, pans, and granny's rocker all over the highway. Sued FCA and they decided, "let's just drop the extender function moving forward." Cheap fix and pure speculation on my part.

Then my devious mind turns to "how to get the four attachments through parts." What if a previous year owner needed a replacement for one of them? You can probably order spare parts, get back into business, and RAM can disavow any responsibility because you made an "unsupported modification."

Now to get the dealer to pay for these upon delivery...

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Everyone who has received a RamBox with the BUG, did you get the four bed extender attachment points? (The round and rectangular plastic mounts on the bed sides near the tailgate.) That would help narrow this down. @sgk , any others?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a growing suspicion that RAM legal has decided to drop the RamBox extender functionality by simply deleting the four attachment points near the bed like @Douglas31 received. That would line up with the documentation change.

I'm imagining someone overloaded their bed, the extender broke and spewed pots, pans, and granny's rocker all over the highway. Sued FCA and they decided, "let's just drop the extender function moving forward." Cheap fix and pure speculation on my part.

Then my devious mind turns to "how to get the four attachments through parts." What if a previous year owner needed a replacement for one of them? You can probably order spare parts, get back into business, and RAM can disavow any responsibility because you made an "unsupported modification."

Now to get the dealer to pay for these upon delivery...
You used to be able to roll your windows down by holding the unlock button (or lock) down for a few seconds. It was an awesome feature on my 2009 Journey. When we got the 2013 Ram, it didn't work. Researched a little and found FCA dropped it because people were complaining about their window being down. Bam, people who paid attention suffered because others couldn't understand how something worked.

You may be on to something @Edwards

I have seen plenty of people who make no consideration for weight limits and securing cargo.

Might also be, they missed something with the tailgate closing, and/or the multifunction tailgate that is late availability may have something too.

I would think you are onto something though.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hmmm if my new Rebel doesn't come with them than I am going to take them off my Outdoorsman;)

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All I got with my BUG was spray in bedliner, led bed lighting and cargo rails with adjustable hooks.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All I got with my BUG was spray in bedliner, led bed lighting and cargo rails with adjustable hooks.
For non-RamBox models that's all you should have received until they begin shipping the bed step and then the price will go up. RamBox model BUGs also get the divider/extender but the BUG costs more.

2019REBEL

Reaction score
For non-RamBox models that's all you should have received until they begin shipping the bed step and then the price will go up. RamBox model BUGs also get the divider/extender but the BUG costs more.

The divider is included in the Rambox price the BUG just adds the cargo hooks and LED lighting for $200 on the Rebel

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The divider is included in the Rambox price the BUG just adds the cargo hooks and LED lighting for $200 on the Rebel
I know it was prior to 2019, but every piece of documentation shows that for 2019 the divider/extender is now part of the BUG. The downloadable brochure, both print brochures I've received in the mail, & the online description all state that it is part of the BUG for 2019.

Here's a direct cut from the brochure:
"BED UTILITY GROUP — Includes upper adjustable tie-downs, bed extender (available with RamBox System only), deployable, bed step, bed lighting, spray-in bed liner (Lone Star†/Big Horn/Laramie models only; optional with L1, H1, H2, X1, X2, P1 and P2 Equipment Packages)"

I got charged $495 for the BUG on my Limited which already has bedliner and LED lighting so I hope RAM isn't charging me that much for cargo hooks.

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
I got charged $495 for the BUG on my Limited which already has bedliner and LED lighting so I hope RAM isn't charging me that much for cargo hooks.
Agree. The cargo hooks were not the reason I was interested in the package. I would have left that add on off altogether.

2019REBEL

Reaction score
I know it was prior to 2019, but every piece of documentation shows that for 2019 the divider/extender is now part of the BUG. The downloadable brochure, both print brochures I've received in the mail, & the online description all state that it is part of the BUG for 2019.

Here's a direct cut from the brochure:
"BED UTILITY GROUP — Includes upper adjustable tie-downs, bed extender (available with RamBox System only), deployable, bed step, bed lighting, spray-in bed liner (Lone Star†/Big Horn/Laramie models only; optional with L1, H1, H2, X1, X2, P1 and P2 Equipment Packages)"

Our packages are a bit different in Canada. When I build my Rebel the Ramboxes include the cargo management system(rails) and divider and the BUG is the hooks(tie-down) and LED lights. Spray-in liner is a different option.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone who has received a RamBox with the BUG, did you get the four bed extender attachment points? (The round and rectangular plastic mounts on the bed sides near the tailgate.) That would help narrow this down. @sgk , any others?
Hey @cjgerson @sgk @Kramersp @jackson @TCWoody you guys got a minute? Did you get the BUG with your Ramboxes and confirm it included the black plastic bed extender, AND the tailgate mounting points for it? Thanks!

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Our packages are a bit different in Canada. When I build my Rebel the Ramboxes include the cargo management system(rails) and divider and the BUG is the hooks(tie-down) and LED lights. Spray-in liner is a different option.

Ah, sorry about the CA-US mix up. I only think about the US options as I'm closer to Mexico than Canada.

cjgerson

Reaction score
Hey @cjgerson @sgk @Kramersp @jackson @TCWoody you guys got a minute? Did you get the BUG with your Ramboxes and confirm it included the black plastic bed extender, AND the tailgate mounting points for it? Thanks!
I got the BUG but noticed right away it was missing the tailgate mounting points. Dealership said the found they part numbers and are getting them ordered. I’ll post once I know what the numbers are.

You can see definitely missing something the the manual calls “pin and handle”

Attachments

• 0D90F6A6-86B3-40B8-A839-8FF8D5C99B87.jpeg
    0D90F6A6-86B3-40B8-A839-8FF8D5C99B87.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 159
  • D43FAB0B-CD68-4407-ADE9-946DF15E104B.jpeg
    D43FAB0B-CD68-4407-ADE9-946DF15E104B.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 149
Last edited:

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got the BUG but noticed right away it was missing the tailgate mounting points. Dealership said the found they part numbers and are getting them ordered. I’ll post once I know what the numbers are.

You can see definitely missing something the the manual calls “pin and handle”
I'm NOT liking this! Hope mine comes with it

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Have you found those part numbers?

Users who are viewing this thread