5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is Known about the Bed Utility Group Options

Reaction score
I know most of this discussion has been in regards to the lack of extender mounting points for the Rambox divider, but since this also discusses the BUG as a whole, i thought it would be relevant to bring this up.

I've been seriously considering a new 5th gen Ram with Rambox, and i noticed something interesting when i was at a dealer looking at a non-Rambox Longhorn (i wanted to check out the interior, 12" u-connect etc.). When looking at some of the reviews on Youtube, i noticed that a number of people pointed out there is a rubberized switch in the bed to control the in bed lighting. When looking at the Longhorn at the dealer, this switch wasn't there. The lights were there, the slot for the switch was there, but it was just a hard plastic piece, no switch.

Was curious to see if anyone else had noticed this?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I know most of this discussion has been in regards to the lack of extender mounting points for the Rambox divider, but since this also discusses the BUG as a whole, i thought it would be relevant to bring this up.

I've been seriously considering a new 5th gen Ram with Rambox, and i noticed something interesting when i was at a dealer looking at a non-Rambox Longhorn (i wanted to check out the interior, 12" u-connect etc.). When looking at some of the reviews on Youtube, i noticed that a number of people pointed out there is a rubberized switch in the bed to control the in bed lighting. When looking at the Longhorn at the dealer, this switch wasn't there. The lights were there, the slot for the switch was there, but it was just a hard plastic piece, no switch.

Was curious to see if anyone else had noticed this?
I can't tell from my pictures...I'll look at this tomorrow night.

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know it was prior to 2019, but every piece of documentation shows that for 2019 the divider/extender is now part of the BUG. The downloadable brochure, both print brochures I've received in the mail, & the online description all state that it is part of the BUG for 2019.

Here's a direct cut from the brochure:
"BED UTILITY GROUP — Includes upper adjustable tie-downs, bed extender (available with RamBox System only), deployable, bed step, bed lighting, spray-in bed liner (Lone Star†/Big Horn/Laramie models only; optional with L1, H1, H2, X1, X2, P1 and P2 Equipment Packages)"

I got charged $495 for the BUG on my Limited which already has bedliner and LED lighting so I hope RAM isn't charging me that much for cargo hooks.
What page is this on in the brochure? I can't seem to find it in the printed one they sent me

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What page is this on in the brochure? I can't seem to find it in the printed one they sent me
The "posts" for the bed extender are clearly visible in three photos on page 19 of the Texas edition of the brochure (LongHorn pictured on the cover). The bed step is also pictured here. On page 37, under the Storage section, there is a note stating "Bed extender (included in Bed Utility Group)". Page 38 lists, "...bed extender (available with RamBox System only)".

In the 2019 Ram 1500 Quick Reference Guide, page 5 states the following:

"Bed Extender — If Equipped
The bed extender has three functional positions:
  • Storage Position – maximizes the bed cargo area when not in use.
  • Divider Position – managing your cargo and assisting in keeping cargo from moving around the truck bed.
  • Extender Position – extends the bed of the truck beyond the tail gate an additional 15 inches (38 cm) for additional cargo room."
The 2019 Ram 1500 Feature Availability Guide lists "Bed extender (included in Bed Utility Group)" on page 17. On page 59, it states that the Bed Utility Group includes:
  • Upper adjustable tie downs
  • Bed extender (available with RamBox only)
  • Bed step, deployable
  • Bed lighting
  • Spray-in bed liner (Medium and High Price Class only)
I can find more references if needed ;)

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The "posts" for the bed extender are clearly visible in three photos on page 19 of the Texas edition of the brochure (LongHorn pictured on the cover). The bed step is also pictured here. On page 37, under the Storage section, there is a note stating "Bed extender (included in Bed Utility Group)". Page 38 lists, "...bed extender (available with RamBox System only)".
Ok I will download the Texas edition, but I couldn't find that in the regular edition. Thanks

TCWoody

Reaction score
So I just received my manual in the mail today and there is an addumdum that talks about the bed divider..

View attachment 2811
What did you do to get the printed version of the manual. All I got with my Rebel is the Essential Information Guide and the Quick Reference Guide. Does FCA just mail it out or do you have to request a printed version? Thanks

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The 2019 Ram 1500 User Guide also discusses the bed extender on page 5 (table of contents), page 66 (mentions "Cargo extender/divider"), page 68 (mentions "Bed Extender - If Equipped"), and page 69 (the "Extender Position" sub-section).

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score

In the 2019 Ram 1500 Quick Reference Guide, page 5 states the following:

"Bed Extender — If Equipped
The bed extender has three functional positions:
  • Storage Position – maximizes the bed cargo area when not in use.
  • Divider Position – managing your cargo and assisting in keeping cargo from moving around the truck bed.
  • Extender Position – extends the bed of the truck beyond the tail gate an additional 15 inches (38 cm) for additional cargo room."
The 2019 Ram 1500 Feature Availability Guide lists "Bed extender (included in Bed Utility Group)" on page 17. On page 59, it states that the Bed Utility Group includes:
  • Upper adjustable tie downs
  • Bed extender (available with RamBox only)
  • Bed step, deployable
  • Bed lighting
  • Spray-in bed liner (Medium and High Price Class only)
I can find more references if needed ;)
Just want ammo if as I suspect my truck will be missing the extender knobs when it comes in. As a bonus I see the BUG is supposed to have the bed step too, so I'll make sure and get that put on when they start to make it available

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just want ammo if as I suspect my truck will be missing the extender knobs when it comes in. As a bonus I see the BUG is supposed to have the bed step too, so I'll make sure and get that put on when they start to make it available
My plan exactly.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What did you do to get the printed version of the manual. All I got with my Rebel is the Essential Information Guide and the Quick Reference Guide. Does FCA just mail it out or do you have to request a printed version? Thanks

Request it through Ram online chat or call the number. They'll ask for the VIN.

cjgerson

Reaction score
Have you found those part numbers?
Yeah I posted them in another thread but can’t seem to find it quickly, but the Part numbers are 68054996AA and 68054997AB. You will need 2 of each. I got them already installed on the truck and work exactly as designed.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I posted them in another thread but can’t seem to find it quickly, but the Part numbers are 68054996AA and 68054997AB. You will need 2 of each. I got them already installed on the truck and work exactly as designed.
My dealer has supposedly ordered these parts for me...along with a couple of warranty items. Cheers!

matthewclarkg

Reaction score
I can't tell from my pictures...I'll look at this tomorrow night.
I noticed that you just got your truck. ordered mine on the same day that you did with apparently all the same options (rambox, off road, etc)... but my cold was 2-tone black. I wonder if that may be the reason I still am not past D1 ?? also, did you get the rambox divider and did your bed come with the extender knobs that others are reporting are missing ?
thx!! just anxious to get my truck but also looking to get it the way I want. I currently have a 2016 1500 ram with rambox and divider and it works incredible. I don't want to downgrade...

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I noticed that you just got your truck. ordered mine on the same day that you did with apparently all the same options (rambox, off road, etc)... but my cold was 2-tone black. I wonder if that may be the reason I still am not past D1 ?? also, did you get the rambox divider and did your bed come with the extender knobs that others are reporting are missing ?
thx!! just anxious to get my truck but also looking to get it the way I want. I currently have a 2016 1500 ram with rambox and divider and it works incredible. I don't want to downgrade...
See my post above...my dealer has ordered the missing posts for the extender (the divider was supplied). The RamBoxes are awesome.

It's possible that your two-tone configuration had something to do with delivery schedule, but I wouldn't bank on it. We're seeing no rhyme or reason to the scheduling sequence, and I've seen a bunch of two-tone Longhorns appearing online over the past month. Keep in mind that once you finally have the truck, the long wait will VERY quickly be forgotten!

matthewclarkg

Reaction score
See my post above...my dealer has ordered the missing posts for the extender (the divider was supplied). The RamBoxes are awesome.

It's possible that your two-tone configuration had something to do with delivery schedule, but I wouldn't bank on it. We're seeing no rhyme or reason to the scheduling sequence, and I've seen a bunch of two-tone Longhorns appearing online over the past month. Keep in mind that once you finally have the truck, the long wait will VERY quickly be forgotten!

thanks for responding so quickly. yeah the anx. is big but I also want to feel that they will get it right. At least there is a part that can be ordered to fix them. I was getting worried that because the lift gates are now lighter that maybe FCA had suspended the extender function because they can't support he extra weight anymore...

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online