5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Fuel is everyone using?

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
I don’t care if some cars require it. We’re talking about our cars. 89 is not required. It can be recommended all day long the statement made was using less than 89 would degrade the life of the engine. That is false. You can talk snarky all you want to “appear” intelligent but you completely botched your response. Have a good evening my friend.

If you want to put **** gas in your $40-50k truck against the recommendation of the manufacturer by all means go for it.

Keep your fingers crossed that if you keep your rig it doesn’t have long term detrimental effects.

Calling others uneducated because they disagree isn’t necessary.

You shouldn’t be outraged by the response when the tone you set is provocative and insulting

But it’s all good! It’s Friday! Enjoy the weekend and let’s both hope you have trouble free engine service ya cheap skate haha (just teasing)

GerryS

Reaction score
Let's step back a second.
We have to remember that the fuel recommendations that Ram put out there was (I think) to cover all loading conditions in all areas of the US and Canada. I know that the effect of octane levels on the engine will differ with temp and elevation.
So pulling a heavy load out of Death Valley in the summer will benefit from higher octane more than pulling the same load across the Icefields Parkway.
Ram doesn't know how or where we will use these trucks. They are probably making recommendations based on worst case scenario. It's up to us to decide what is appropriate depending on our use of the truck.
Mine is basically driven with no load for 99% of the time in Illinois. I'll use 87.

Pulling a load in the hills or mountains? Then 89 would be appropriate.

Cheers
Gerry

Barney556180

Reaction score
915aae9a8b378e06f1769723e95da9b9.jpg

Brisoup1

Reaction score
Let's step back a second.
We have to remember that the fuel recommendations that Ram put out there was (I think) to cover all loading conditions in all areas of the US and Canada. I know that the effect of octane levels on the engine will differ with temp and elevation.
So pulling a heavy load out of Death Valley in the summer will benefit from higher octane more than pulling the same load across the Icefields Parkway.
Ram doesn't know how or where we will use these trucks. They are probably making recommendations based on worst case scenario. It's up to us to decide what is appropriate depending on our use of the truck.
Mine is basically driven with no load for 99% of the time in Illinois. I'll use 87.

Pulling a load in the hills or mountains? Then 89 would be appropriate.

Cheers
Gerry
That's a very good point. Ram could possibly covering all driving conditions by just recommending 89 octane.

BLS65

Reaction score
The owners manual actually says the reason why. I don't like the fact the truck doesn't come with it but you have to request RAM to get an actual owners manual. The PDF download works well to.
Did your dealer tell you it didn't come with an owners manual? That is simply not true, they come with an owners manual, warranty book, quick start guide and a few other booklets in a Ram Branded drawstring bag.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Did your dealer tell you it didn't come with an owners manual? That is simply not true, they come with an owners manual, warranty book, quick start guide and a few other booklets in a Ram Branded drawstring bag.
The owner manual it comes with is an abridged version. Which is what he means. You have to get the download or have the Postal service bring it. Tells you this in the abridged version.

Unless you are one of the 3% who's dealer is on the ball and had the full version ready for you.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Filled up my mighty 392 HEMI with 90 grade non ethanol. 23 gallon, Over 18 bucks more...that would buy an event pass for one of us on our vacation a soda and a bag of pretzels...lol

I wasn't overly impressed the other times I used it. But, if I can get an extra couple horses, then I guess they will be useful going around the horse and buggies on the way.

I am pleasantly surprised to see someone finally realized that 89 is to cover every condition a RAM could be in...why it is recommended, but 87 is acceptable.

So, I will hopefully be beating on 410 horses, hoping they all can take it.

Brisoup1

Reaction score
The owner manual it comes with is an abridged version. Which is what he means. You have to get the download or have the Postal service bring it. Tells you this in the abridged version.

Unless you are one of the 3% who's dealer is on the ball and had the full version ready for you.
When I bought my truck, I got a owners manual that had just the very basic information on it.. FCA is simply trying to save money on printing cost by forcing you to ask for a hard copy of the entire owners manual.

2wd

Reaction score
Words mean something - this is about recommended vs required.

Recommended means 89 will give max performance (max HP and Torque). Running 87 the timing will adjust slightly and the engine will run just fine, but with slightly less power.

Required means the engine will knock significantly and engine damage could result from running lower than required octane.

I've had Acura/Audi's that require 91. I've run 89 and 87 in them and the tacometer is jumping all over the place due to the pre-ignition of lower octane fuel. These Acura/Audi engines Require (not recommend) 91, and you can see/feel the results when you don't run 91. They specify 91 on the fuel door, in addition to the owners manual.

Notice that the Ram doesn't specific any fuel type on their fuel door.

This is similar to the Ford F-150 Ecoboost recommending premium when towing heavy for maximum performance.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Words mean something - this is about recommended vs required.

Recommended means 89 will give max performance (max HP and Torque). Running 87 the timing will adjust slightly and the engine will run just fine, but with slightly less power.

Required means the engine will knock significantly and engine damage could result from running lower than required octane.

I've had Acura/Audi's that require 91. I've run 89 and 87 in them and the tacometer is jumping all over the place due to the pre-ignition of lower octane fuel. These Acura/Audi engines Require (not recommend) 91, and you can see/feel the results when you don't run 91. They specify 91 on the fuel door, in addition to the owners manual.

Notice that the Ram doesn't specific any fuel type on their fuel door.

This is similar to the Ford F-150 Ecoboost recommending premium when towing heavy for maximum performance.

True, I also had an Ecoboost. The difference however is they also mention mpg. Wheras Ford stated only that 87 was recommended, but if you wanted a bit more power, then run 91.

RAM on the other hand recommends 89 for best performance and MPG, while stated 87 is acceptable. So it's a little different on how they recommend the different octane tunes from one another.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I only got the package in a plastic bag in the glove box, that came with manual guide and a few other "quick start" material, along with a nice camo bag.

The actual manual is about 1.5" thick and from what I'm told, no truck comes with them. You have to request them from RAM customer care, which I did, takes about 1 week. The same manual in PDF form also works well.

Here is the PDF version of the full manual: https://5thgenrams.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/2019-RAM-1500_All_New-OM-3rd_R2.pdf

BLS65

Reaction score
I only got the package in a plastic bag in the glove box, that came with manual guide and a few other "quick start" material, along with a nice camo bag.

The actual manual is about 1.5" thick and from what I'm told, no truck comes with them. You have to request them from RAM customer care, which I did, takes about 1 week. The same manual in PDF form also works well.

Here is the PDF version of the full manual: https://5thgenrams.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/2019-RAM-1500_All_New-OM-3rd_R2.pdf
Yep, that's it. got it with mine.

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
Gettin’ jiggy wit it

Attachments

• B91D2C2B-6805-4B5B-8964-303EF55714E5.jpeg
    B91D2C2B-6805-4B5B-8964-303EF55714E5.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 45

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
Ladies it was *suppose* to be in good fun but I see the mood varies as much the gasoline preference. :)

Raydar

Reaction score
I tried 87 in my turbo and had terrible results - compression issues and loss of power to the point of safety

What sort of "compression issues"?
Your PCM may have pulled spark timing. Or may have dumped boost. But I assure you, nothing happened to the compression.
Aside from that... nearly all boosted engines require 91 or 93. Why were you running 87 in a turbo'd engine in the first place? I would expect it to fall on its face.

(FWIW, my '09 Challenger R/T (6M) recommended 93, but lower octane was acceptable. The automatic/MDS 5.7 Challengers of the same year didn't even specify premium. These engines are much more flexible than you give them credit for. Perhaps just not "optimal", with the low grade stuff, under some conditions.)

As I posted earlier, mine runs better on 89 than 87, under some conditions. Most times, it doesn't care.

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
What sort of "compression issues"?
Your PCM may have pulled spark timing. Or may have dumped boost. But I assure you, nothing happened to the compression.
Aside from that... nearly all boosted engines require 91 or 93. Why were you running 87 in a turbo'd engine in the first place? I would expect it to fall on its face.

(FWIW, my '09 Challenger R/T (6M) recommended 93, but lower octane was acceptable. The automatic/MDS 5.7 Challengers of the same year didn't even specify premium. These engines are much more flexible than you give them credit for. Perhaps just not "optimal", with the low grade stuff, under some conditions.)

As I posted earlier, mine runs better on 89 than 87, under some conditions. Most times, it doesn't care.

Someone else put it in ..... as for the gas debate there’s little benefit to skimping on fuel but to each their own. Prices this am were $295 for 89 and $315 for 93 - if you understand how the engine works then I would recommend 89 minimum. But again do what you want. My dealer explicitly said use premium. They are a knowledgeable dealer but I’ve read all the studies and understand the mechanics.

There’s a guy on YT who did a Dino with his Rebel. I’ll try and find it.

I really like this truck and so far it’s been perfect. So I’m hoping for a long love affair and don’t mind spoiling it :) especially since I’ll be asking a lot of it

Hope you all are well and staying cool it this weather

Raydar

Reaction score
... if you understand how the engine works then I would recommend 89 minimum.

I understand how the engine works. I have been tuning PCMs/ECMs since like 2007.
Based upon the info provided to me, the engine will run fine on 87. The PCM may pick up a bit of knock, under extreme conditions (like my previously mentioned high-speed pass), and will retard the ignition timing a bit, to compensate.
It won't damage anything, although it may cause a minor loss of power. People who drive easily will likely never notice the difference, as the PCM will never go into "KR" (knock retard.)

As you said... buy whatever gas you deem necessary.
Since I tend to drive a bit harder than most, I will usually use 89, unless it's just stupidly expensive. But if I use 87, I'll just expect what I get.

Users who are viewing this thread