5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Fuel is everyone using?

Dar19ram

Reaction score
Just want to find out what fuel grade people are using.

I have the 2019 Rebel with the 5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque) and the manual recommends the 89 octane but 87 is acceptable.
Trying to figure out if I should use the recommended 89 octane or the 87.

What is everyone else using?

Thanks.
I use 89 seems to run better in my opinion

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Thanks for posting that, I always like opinions based on facts and measurements.

For those that don't feel like watching the video: short summary, 89 is definitely better than 87, but even 89 isn't good enough, run 91 octane instead if you want to eliminate knock in your 5.7 hemi and get the most power and efficiency.

RamLink83

Reaction score
I filled mine up for the first time since I got it with 89 because that is what the manual recommended. Not sure what the dealer filled it up with when I got it, but don't really notice any difference.

Taegee2

Reaction score
Been using 87 for the first 2000 miles (it's what the dealer put in anyway) and seems to run fine under normal driving but slight hesitation during WOT (i.e. passing). Changed to higher octane and seems to run a little smoother during WOT. Still gets crappy gas mileage on the Rebel but seems to runs smoother. So far, inclination is toward 89 or 91.....still working on it to see what works best.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Always top tier 89 Octane for me, usually Shell. RAM says 89 is recommended so that's what I use. Luckily, I'm not that hard up that I have to worry about going with 87 to save $8 per tank.

Taegee2

Reaction score
I'm not that hard up that I have to worry about going with 87 to save $8 per tank.

I agree, we spend enough on these trucks and most of us didn't buy these trucks for the fuel mileage or the type of fuel they use. If that was the case, I would've gotten a 'Prius" (NO!!!). Besides, this is a weekend truck/toy for me since the govt gives me a take home car. Got the truck 07/01/2019 and just broke 2200 miles on it.

Last edited:

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My average MPG right now on the truck is 20.9 MPG.

I run 87 octane non-Ethanol fuel or Pure Gasoline.
I would run 89 octane if it was available in my area in non-ethanol.

I have 3.21 rear end and I have added Rebel Tires and Wheels to the truck. (Goodyear WranglerDuratrac).
If I had the stock tires and wheels my mileage would be even better probably 22 MPG.
HEMI_AVG_MPG.jpeg

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Only Shell for my baby and premium 93 octane. Even if it doesn’t need it, the 93 has more a bit more detergent than the 87 so good for me.

CornTrucks

Reaction score
Agree.
I used to get a bit bugged by so many repeat questions on other forums (automotive, solar etc) when a simple search of the term would bring it all up however it's just too easy to type a question and post it. Once I made a comment about the issue, a moderator replied and said that the purpose of the forum was education so I guess "bring it on".
It is a bit confusing though with octane, E-10 and E-15 or E-85 fuel, the effects of altitude and all. Back in the day' you listened for the "pinging" and then either (manually) retarded the timing or stepped up in octane. Haven't been doing that for decades now!
As ethanol use and % increases, there may be more concerns over what the increased percentage of ethanol is doing to the fuel systems and longevity.
I haven't really read this link but it sounds interesting:
Ethanol and Octane For Beginners
https://mnbiofuels.org › media-mba › blog › item › 1511-octane-and-ethan

Anyway, I use 87/89 as I see it available. When at Costco, it's cheaper fuel so I throw in some 91 (1/2 tank) at times. I try to avoid 85 if at all possible, since our hemi's are rated for 89 I think. There's those who swear it 1 - makes no difference or 2 - gives them better mileage and more power. Since there are so many variables between tanks, I don't see how the average user would be able to really tell (scientifically). When I drive the same route the same way daily, and get 2-4 mpg difference in average mileage over a tank, I have to wonder if it's octane, water or other impurities in the fuel or what...

Increasing ethanol use has been a positive for fuel system longevity. The auto parts stores where I live do not sell or recommend fuel system cleaners anymore because the ethanol fuels have made them unnecessary. Ethanol helps prevent and remove deposits in fuel systems.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Increasing ethanol use has been a positive for fuel system longevity. The auto parts stores where I live do not sell or recommend fuel system cleaners anymore because the ethanol fuels have made them unnecessary. Ethanol helps prevent and remove deposits in fuel systems.

Can you supply a link about that? That's the opposite of what I've ever been told or read, especially in regards to small engines (2-cycle and motorcycle) and any car designed only for E10.

I know the motorcycle industry has been the most against E15 or higher due to blender pumps use and possible too much ethanol getting into the fuel system.

TLOC

Reaction score
I've put less than 1500 miles on my truck since 12/31/19 and have only used non-ethanol 87 or 90 since then, ethanol is hard on rubber material. I use it in all my power equipment as well(y) I have another truck for my daily driver, 2 cars and 2 bikes, good grief...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

ABQ Mike

Reaction score
87 for my truck. No point in higher octane. Not gonna gain power and any mileage increase will be minimal, the extra cost will eliminate any savings.
That’s not true at all. Almost all newer vehicles rely on their knock sensors to control timing, and the more octane (within reason) you run, the more timing the computer allows, which gives you more power. There really won’t Be any benefit seen past 91-93 octane, but most definitely a difference using at least 89. It will also help with throttle tip in performance.

edit - before I get the “well it doesn’t feel faster” claims, we’re talking 10-15 hp. It’s not huge, but as someone who has been building race cars and tuning forever, I like having whatever on tap I can, and knowing what to look for, I can feel the difference exactly where I’m supposed to with the better octane.

Last edited:

ABQ Mike

Reaction score
Can you supply a link about that? That's the opposite of what I've ever been told or read, especially in regards to small engines (2-cycle and motorcycle) and any car designed only for E10.

I know the motorcycle industry has been the most against E15 or higher due to blender pumps use and possible too much ethanol getting into the fuel system.
There is a caveat to what he stated... ethanol is alcohol, and alcohol is fantastic for the cleaning of components... HOWEVER, for vehicles not designed for it, it can be dangerous to use as it can destroy rubber lines, aluminum components not properly treated for alcohol, and it is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs water and is not safe for extended storage in your tank. In addition, your computer is not capable of properly adjusting beyond a certain percentage of alcohol content without a flex fuel sensor, and it may also exceed the capacity of your fuel system as ethanol reduces fuel economy and efficiency.

it’s wonderful for race cars due to its octane rating and cooling ability, especially with boosted applications, however for daily use vehicles, I’d rather run 100% gasoline.

ABQ Mike

Reaction score
Oh and to answer the thread, I run 91. Costco here is about 50 cents a gallon cheaper than local pumps, and they only have 87 or 91 ($1.35 and $1.85 a gallon when I filled up sunday), so I just run the 91.

Snakes709

Reaction score
That’s not true at all. Almost all newer vehicles rely on their knock sensors to control timing, and the more octane (within reason) you run, the more timing the computer allows, which gives you more power. There really won’t Be any benefit seen past 91-93 octane, but most definitely a difference using at least 89. It will also help with throttle tip in performance.

edit - before I get the “well it doesn’t feel faster” claims, we’re talking 10-15 hp. It’s not huge, but as someone who has been building race cars and tuning forever, I like having whatever on tap I can, and knowing what to look for, I can feel the difference exactly where I’m supposed to with the better octane.

unless its been specifically tuned for higher octane, you will see no benifit. You are right about the knock sensor. But again, chrysler would have had to tune make performance on 89 octane for it to be beneficial. And if they did, 91-93 wont make abit of different other then making your wallet lighter.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
unless its been specifically tuned for higher octane, you will see no benifit. You are right about the knock sensor. But again, chrysler would have had to tune make performance on 89 octane for it to be beneficial. And if they did, 91-93 wont make abit of different other then making your wallet lighter.

True.

For me I still use Costco 91 octane since they don't have 89. Reason is it's still 10 cents (or more) cheaper than other stations 89. I'm assuming I'll get the same benefit of 89 even though I'm using 91.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
True.

For me I still use Costco 91 octane since they don't have 89. Reason is it's still 10 cents (or more) cheaper than other stations 89. I'm assuming I'll get the same benefit of 89 even though I'm using 91.
definitely can't hurt. i run 91 from sunoco in my truck. wish we had a costco around here. my cost/gallon is usually mid 3's

SD Rebel

Reaction score
definitely can't hurt. i run 91 from sunoco in my truck. wish we had a costco around here. my cost/gallon is usually mid 3's

Absolutely, because Costco isn't tied to a name brand, they don't have "built in" inflated fees. Their top tier rated 87 is still 40 cents cheaper than ARCO in my area. Right now I can get Costco 87 at $2.59. Cheapest ARCo is at $2.99, the Cheapest name brand Chevron is at $3.29! If we look at 89 octane, the cheapest is ARCO at $3.19, which is still .40 cents more than Costco's 91 octane! These prices are all within a 2-mile radius.

At the .70 cent difference between Costco and cheapest name brand (Chevron), that's a $14 savings for 20 gallon fill-up, that's insane. And both are rated Top Tier.

Users who are viewing this thread