5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Fuel is everyone using?

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
I understand how the engine works. I have been tuning PCMs/ECMs since like 2007.
Based upon the info provided to me, the engine will run fine on 87. The PCM may pick up a bit of knock, under extreme conditions (like my previously mentioned high-speed pass), and will retard the ignition timing a bit, to compensate.
It won't damage anything, although it may cause a minor loss of power. People who drive easily will likely never notice the difference, as the PCM will never go into "KR" (knock retard.)

As you said... buy whatever gas you deem necessary.
Since I tend to drive a bit harder than most, I will usually use 89, unless it's just stupidly expensive. But if I use 87, I'll just expect what I get.

Radar -

allow me to clarify that I didn’t mean that in a condescending manor. At all. I had to bone up on what the difference was just to be sure regarding this engine. And you likely know more than I do about it.

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought my longhorn with 6 miles on it and at 5.000 miles i experimented with this and ran my truck with 93 for 2 tanks and then 87. MPG was the same as was the truck's performance with both. I've been running 87 since

Raydar

Reaction score
Radar -

allow me to clarify that I didn’t mean that in a condescending manor. At all. I had to bone up on what the difference was just to be sure regarding this engine. And you likely know more than I do about it.

No big. I wasn't having a great day, so please disregard anything I said that was "out of line".
My entire point being that running the cheap stuff will likely cause a slight to moderate performance penalty when the engine is pushed hard, but also will likely not damage anything. Hence the "recommended" vs "required" stipulation in the manual. (If damage was even remotely likely to occur, it could become a warranty issue, and FCA certainly isn't gonna let that happen. :D )

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just want to find out what fuel grade people are using.

I have the 2019 Rebel with the 5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque) and the manual recommends the 89 octane but 87 is acceptable.
Trying to figure out if I should use the recommended 89 octane or the 87.

What is everyone else using?

Thanks.
So far I've used 87 exclusively in my 2019 DT. In my two previous 4th gen Ram 1500s I used 87 about 99% of the time, with occasional use of 89. I wish I could say emphatically that I noticed a difference. I THINK under towing conditions (9600 lbs.) they seemed a little more responsive. Both 4th gens had 3.92 rear diffs and the 2014 had the 8-speed.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 018358 miles.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These repeated fuel threads are funny.

So many re-hashes of the same subject. Higher octane equated to gasoline MPG without the consideration of the ethanol blend. So much misunderstanding of what 'octane' really means summated with a subjective numerical answer.

How many times are we going to repeat them? "One more time." Repeat.

87 Mid-grade/Plus/Zoom Zoom from a Top Tier vendor, or 91 Premium/Zoom Zoom Zoom for about the same price at Costco. Colorado Costcos carry 85 Regular and 91 Premium.

Last edited:

RC_Racer88

Reaction score
Any pictures? Sounds like a sweet truck!

f45801d27302f089506bd094d028569a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
These repeated fuel threads are funny.

So many re-hashes of the same subject. Higher octane equated to gasoline MPG without the consideration of the ethanol blend. So much misunderstanding of what 'octane' really means summated with a subjective numerical answer.

How many times are we going to repeat them? "One more time." Repeat.

87 Mid-grade/Plus/Zoom Zoom from a Top Tier vendor, or 91 Premium/Zoom Zoom Zoom for about the same price at Costco. Colorado Costcos carry 85 Regular and 91 Premium.
Agree.
I used to get a bit bugged by so many repeat questions on other forums (automotive, solar etc) when a simple search of the term would bring it all up however it's just too easy to type a question and post it. Once I made a comment about the issue, a moderator replied and said that the purpose of the forum was education so I guess "bring it on".
It is a bit confusing though with octane, E-10 and E-15 or E-85 fuel, the effects of altitude and all. Back in the day' you listened for the "pinging" and then either (manually) retarded the timing or stepped up in octane. Haven't been doing that for decades now!
As ethanol use and % increases, there may be more concerns over what the increased percentage of ethanol is doing to the fuel systems and longevity.
I haven't really read this link but it sounds interesting:
Ethanol and Octane For Beginners
https://mnbiofuels.org › media-mba › blog › item › 1511-octane-and-ethan

Anyway, I use 87/89 as I see it available. When at Costco, it's cheaper fuel so I throw in some 91 (1/2 tank) at times. I try to avoid 85 if at all possible, since our hemi's are rated for 89 I think. There's those who swear it 1 - makes no difference or 2 - gives them better mileage and more power. Since there are so many variables between tanks, I don't see how the average user would be able to really tell (scientifically). When I drive the same route the same way daily, and get 2-4 mpg difference in average mileage over a tank, I have to wonder if it's octane, water or other impurities in the fuel or what...

drstein

Reaction score
" a moderator replied and said that the purpose of the forum was education so I guess "bring it on". "

But here we try to not to ( at least in theory ) or start multiple threads asking the same question, over, and over, and..... as stated in the Forum Rules.

Forum Rules - Please read

9. Please use the search function before posting, a lot of times the same questions have already been asked and answered. Keeping the same things in the same topics helps make things easier for everyone.

I think these rules are clear, and easy to follow. These are only in place to ensure our community is a fun place to be, and a comfortable atmosphere for all. " -

ME too Jared !!!!!

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Costco being mentioned here is Top Tier. It shouldn't be difficult to find, unless you're living in the sticks.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Costco being mentioned here is Top Tier. It shouldn't be difficult to find, unless you're living in the sticks.

I think he meant 89 octane Top Tier, which Costco doesn't carry, they only do 87 and 91/93. Most stations have blender pumps to make 89, but I think Costsco's setup prevents the use of that.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, we've discussed the crap out of that in what's likely multiple threads on the subject. With Costco you can usually get Premium at Mid-grade prices. My Costco has 85 Regular and 91 Premium.

The "...can't find any "TOP TIER" FUEL" comment doesn't seem to be aimed specifically at 89 octane.

Fidomac

Reaction score
Just want to find out what fuel grade people are using.

I have the 2019 Rebel with the 5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque) and the manual recommends the 89 octane but 87 is acceptable.
Trying to figure out if I should use the recommended 89 octane or the 87.

What is everyone else using?

Thanks.
check out Dollar Tree... they have a octane boost for $1 a bottle that I put in every fill up with 87 octane..... It seems to work great

Users who are viewing this thread