5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What exhaust to get?

Jason605

Reaction score
I too am debating s type or attack. I’m planning on just a muffler swap or is that a bad idea? Should I spend the extra and do full cat back?
Get the full cat back. They are tuned so you get no drone.

Klicht87

Reaction score
I too am debating s type or attack. I’m planning on just a muffler swap or is that a bad idea? Should I spend the extra and do full cat back?
Can you actually get the ATAK muffler? If you can, that may be something to consider. I just installed the ATAK with 5" tips. I like the size of the tips but I wish they were double walled instead of rolled edges. Besides the Catback being 304 stainless vs 400 series factory stainless. Probably not much of a difference really. The tips alone almost made me consider the corsa but it was a couple hundred dollars more.

Bambohunter

Reaction score
Can you actually get the ATAK muffler? If you can, that may be something to consider. I just installed the ATAK with 5" tips. I like the size of the tips but I wish they were double walled instead of rolled edges. Besides the Catback being 304 stainless vs 400 series factory stainless. Probably not much of a difference really. The tips alone almost made me consider the corsa but it was a couple hundred dollars more.
yes on the Borla website you can get just the muffler. Its under crate muffles.

Klicht87

Reaction score
yes on the Borla website you can get just the muffler. Its under crate muffles.
Like Jason605 said, you may get some drone, but it's hard to say. You may have some luck giving Borla a call. Also, weighing cost vs sound vs quality comes into play. You may sacrifice some drone for around 250 for the crate muffler vs the $900-$1000 atak catback.

Bambohunter

Reaction score
Thats what i'm trying to decide. $3-500 for muffler swap or $9-1000 for full cat back.

Klicht87

Reaction score
Thats what i'm trying to decide. $3-500 for muffler swap or $9-1000 for full cat back.
I was going to go with the resonator delete and moderate B2FAB muffler...ended up being around 500 with their tips. I've done a lot of vehicle mods in the past and went the cheaper route, ended up not being happy, and going with my original choices and spending even more in the end. Just keep that in mind.

willogical

Reaction score

I just ordered the Corsa yesterday (thanks to someone in this thread who posted a site that had it for significantly cheaper than Corsa directly!)

They're currently on back-order [2-4 weeks estimated delivery time] but I can say that the double walled tips did play a pretty big factor for me. Also, I felt the ATAK sound to be in a completely different realm of exhaust sounds and was more partial to the Corsa one, personally.

PaulieWalnutz

Reaction score
$185 installed for my borla pro xs .. a little bit of drone but you can’t notice it when the radio is on. Gives it a throaty sound but can’t compare to full cat

JVS0302

Reaction score
oh man I am so up in the air over this haha. First I was set on the Touring because I already have another super loud vehicle and want this to be mellow. But then I don't want it to be too quiet and regret it lol.

If I search back a few years, it seems everyone was hell bent on the Touring , now people are saying minimum S-type or go full bore for the Atak.

Going to hold out to hear the AWE that Moparian just got and then go from there. I usually go Corsa when it comes to American vehicles (had one on a 2010 Jeep SRT8 and loved it) but for some reason not loving the way it looks on the Ram.

Keep the comments coming guys, its very helpful to hear everyone's varying opinions!

Ramjack

Reaction score
oh man I am so up in the air over this haha. First I was set on the Touring because I already have another super loud vehicle and want this to be mellow. But then I don't want it to be too quiet and regret it lol.

If I search back a few years, it seems everyone was hell bent on the Touring , now people are saying minimum S-type or go full bore for the Atak.

Going to hold out to hear the AWE that Moparian just got and then go from there. I usually go Corsa when it comes to American vehicles (had one on a 2010 Jeep SRT8 and loved it) but for some reason not loving the way it looks on the Ram.

Keep the comments coming guys, its very helpful to hear everyone's varying opinions!

I realize I'm in the minority, but I'm leaning toward Touring as well. I don't like the glasspack / "blat" sound. I just like rumble and roar. Back in the early 90's, I had Flowmaster 3-chambers on my 5.0 Mustang. I liked that and would not want any more sound than that. It was not noticeably louder than stock at WOT, only at idle and low rpms.

If we could just keep the EcoBoost idiots from modifying their exhausts. I have nothing against the 2.7L or 3.5L EcoBoost motors, but why these guys think they sound cool uncorked is beyond me. They sound like a giant fart machine. (Hey, there's an idea. Think it's patent-worthy?)

Last edited:

Klicht87

Reaction score
I just installed the borla resonator on my 2021 Laramie with Borla Atak. It definitely toned it down. It's still loud when the put the pedal down but isn't so loud at low RPMs strolling through the neighborhood. I'm not sure what the S-type sounds like but for the money I just spent, probably should have gone that route. I love the Atak sound but I feel like an A-HOLE bring my daughter to school at 6:30 in the morning.
Another note, it sounds like the sound is more directed out the back and very little cabin noise. There was no drone before but just the louder exhaust noise that can still get a little annoying.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just received my Flow X d fit muffler for my 2021. Have had Flowmaster in the past with no issues. Truck doesn't even have plates on it yet and I'm about to cut into a perfectly good exhaust system. But i liked the sound of the flow x, not too loud, and definitely provides a better flowing muffler than factory. Ive grown out of loud exhaust systems, more into form and function now, but also trying to preserve what little hearing i have left after years of abuse as a guitar player.
Also, I ordered it directly from Holley, and shipping was a big factor for me. They were cheapest. Just need time to install, now.

Klicht87

Reaction score
So if anyone installed a Borla ATAK and think it's too loud, the borla resonator will solve that problem. It's actually too quiet. Factory quiet in the cab and not very loud when you step on it. It's pointless to even have the ATAK at this point. I'm planning on removing the resonator but I need to buy another mid pipe since I cut it to install the resonator. I feel like I'm just throwing money away at this point.

The ATAK sounds pretty darn amazing, just feel a little bad for the neighborhoods.

Jason605

Reaction score
Just installed the Atak yesterday. For me the sound is perfect compared to the s type I had in my 4th gen. Absolutely no drone in cab. The s type droned very bad and had to drive with Mds off all the time. Now don't even have to disable it. If you think the atak is to loud try driving a semi. As far as cold start I live in the country so me very happy.

Bambohunter

Reaction score
Just installed the Atak yesterday. For me the sound is perfect compared to the s type I had in my 4th gen. Absolutely no drone in cab. The s type droned very bad and had to drive with Mds off all the time. Now don't even have to disable it. If you think the atak is to loud try driving a semi. As far as cold start I live in the country so me very happy.

How much louder is the atak then s type? How loud at highway speeds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nova90

Reaction score
So if anyone installed a Borla ATAK and think it's too loud, the borla resonator will solve that problem. It's actually too quiet. Factory quiet in the cab and not very loud when you step on it. It's pointless to even have the ATAK at this point. I'm planning on removing the resonator but I need to buy another mid pipe since I cut it to install the resonator. I feel like I'm just throwing money away at this point.

The ATAK sounds pretty darn amazing, just feel a little bad for the neighborhoods.
Terrorizing the neighbors is my biggest concern...but, they might already be used to it as the neighbor a few houses down the street drives a Hellcat daily and leaves pretty early each day

Jason605

Reaction score
How much louder is the atak then s type? How loud at highway speeds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The drone was so bad on my 4th gen s type with 3.21 gears it made it louder than the Atak in cab. The atak is much better tuned for the 5th gen. You have to turn the radio off to hear the exhaust once your speed is achieved. If your paying for exhaust to hear it when accelerating the atak is perfect.

Klicht87

Reaction score
As I stated further up in this thread, I installed the ATAK and thought it was pretty loud putting around town at low speeds. I ordered and installed the Borla Resonator and quieted the system down too much. Now I'm just getting frustrated. Since I cut the exhaust pipe extenstion that's before the muffler, I had to get a new pipe. Yes it would have been cheaper to weld the section back in but I went ahead and ordered and installed the CORSA pipe that would normally eliminate the factory front resonator on previous 5th gens. It was cheaper to buy that than a MOPAR replacement but still $200. It sounds PERFECT. I'm not sure if my original install with the catback was leaking somewhere or what but a pipe is a pipe but it sounds amazing. Quiet on the highway and around town, loud when you step on it.

It's definitely not as loud as when I originally installed it so maybe I didn't have it tightened correctly.

ReLLIK75

Reaction score
I went from an ATAK to a Touring because I thought the ATAK as too loud and definitely didn't want to deal with the noise at 3000 RPMs when towing my Rzr up a hill. Since installing the Touring, I've put over 1000 miles on it and really hate the MDS "fart". I like the sound of it when it starts up and when I'm driving along, but the noises as the engine turns on/off the MDS is pretty bad. Also, I've noticed that sometimes I'll get a backfire type of sound when I let off the gas after cruising at highway speeds. Not sure if the resonator will help or not, but I think the Touring is all marketing hype. For me, overall, it's a crappy experience. I still have my factory exhaust so I could pay a shop to put it back on and do the necessary welds, but if I do that, I'm not sure what I can do to get the growl back without the "farting" noises of the MDS.

Klicht87

Reaction score
I purchased the Borla Resonator for my ATAK before making adjustments and it quieted down the system so much it seemed pointless to even have the ATAK. It eliminated any resonance with the MDS. I purchased of JustBoltons.com for a good price. I also have it my garage in the box if you'd be interested in purchasing it from me. I would just have to check on shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread