5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What exhaust to get?

Jason605

Reaction score
I went from an ATAK to a Touring because I thought the ATAK as too loud and definitely didn't want to deal with the noise at 3000 RPMs when towing my Rzr up a hill. Since installing the Touring, I've put over 1000 miles on it and really hate the MDS "fart". I like the sound of it when it starts up and when I'm driving along, but the noises as the engine turns on/off the MDS is pretty bad. Also, I've noticed that sometimes I'll get a backfire type of sound when I let off the gas after cruising at highway speeds. Not sure if the resonator will help or not, but I think the Touring is all marketing hype. For me, overall, it's a crappy experience. I still have my factory exhaust so I could pay a shop to put it back on and do the necessary welds, but if I do that, I'm not sure what I can do to get the growl back without the "farting" noises of the MDS.
Just turn the Mds off. Definitely do with the Atak.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Torn between the Oval and Round muffler with the resonator delete from B2 Fab. Found this nice video on the round muffler. Certainly not trying to become hated by my densely packed neighbors but boy does this sound good!

Blackhawkdocta

Reaction score
Loving the Borla ATAK on my ‘19 Rebel. Can’t beat the service and price on
autoanything.com. If you do find a better deal after purchase within a year, they’ll pay you the difference + $1. Subscribe and get 20%off. Came out to around 850.00 with black chrome tips. Cheaper with polished chrome. If you don’t want the most awesome sounding exhaust (Borla ATAK), they do have other options as well. I’m not affiliated at all with autoanything, just really impressed by them.

shearpin

Reaction score
I've been kicking around upgrading the exhaust on my '19 Limited. I'd like a bit more growl, but I want a refined sound without being raspy, no drone, something comfortable for a daily driver that meshes with the feel of the Limited. My initial thoughts were to go with either the Borla Type S or Corsa, but Corsa is a bit steep...then I stumbled across Hooker's Blackheart cat back:

Anyone know anything about this one? Have you heard it in person? I'd be interested to hear impressions...

shearpin

Reaction score
I've been kicking around upgrading the exhaust on my '19 Limited. I'd like a bit more growl, but I want a refined sound without being raspy, no drone, something comfortable for a daily driver that meshes with the feel of the Limited. My initial thoughts were to go with either the Borla Type S or Corsa, but Corsa is a bit steep...then I stumbled across Hooker's Blackheart cat back:

Anyone know anything about this one? Have you heard it in person? I'd be interested to hear impressions...
I decided to gamble and try out this exhaust. I managed to get it ordered before the prices went up on July 1st and I have to say I'm pretty happy with it.

The fitment was okay, though one of the tips isn't quite centered, though you have to look at it pretty close to notice. The sound is about what I was looking for...more growl without being raspy. When cruising at speed on flat, level ground, the exhaust mostly fades into the background, but is still noticeable. Under moderate load, it can be a little intrusive, but I'll give it some time to mellow out before I pass judgement.

I dug out my old GoPro and put together some video with clips at cruise and under acceleration.

2019 Ram 1500 Hooker BlackHeart Cat Back BH2459

Bang_bang94

Reaction score
I’m personally torn between a muffler and resonator delete or going full true dual with an x pipe not to many videos of true duals on the rams running around though

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With the power that these things put out from the factory I wouldn't expect a lot of true dual kits to be out there like the "old days". True duals (like the AWE exhaust for the TRX) are more for top end power where the SIDO (single in and dual out) on the rest of the 1500s is more for low/mid-range power.

If you just swap cat-back set-ups (or mufflers) you are not really gaining anything except a sexier sound profile (which is completely subjective). If you convert to true dual you might gain some top end but you could also sacrifice some power in the first 2/3 of the RPM band. Depending on your driving style/use of the truck that might be what you're looking for.

A good muffler shop should be able to fab up a true dual system for you. You would be forging new ground AFAIK so there aren't any good ideas for what mufflers to use.

Bang_bang94

Reaction score
Just ordered the b2 fabrications muffler delete and resonator delete with the 5 in tips can’t wait for it to come in I’m sure my neighbors are going to love it since I work nights and most days I’m getting home at 3am

shearpin

Reaction score
I decided to gamble and try out this exhaust. I managed to get it ordered before the prices went up on July 1st and I have to say I'm pretty happy with it.

The fitment was okay, though one of the tips isn't quite centered, though you have to look at it pretty close to notice. The sound is about what I was looking for...more growl without being raspy. When cruising at speed on flat, level ground, the exhaust mostly fades into the background, but is still noticeable. Under moderate load, it can be a little intrusive, but I'll give it some time to mellow out before I pass judgement.

I dug out my old GoPro and put together some video with clips at cruise and under acceleration.

2019 Ram 1500 Hooker BlackHeart Cat Back BH2459
Well, after a few weeks, it's been decided (with input from the wife) that the stock exhaust should go back on. I intend to do the swap this weekend, assuming nothing else comes up, and the new exhaust will be going up for sale.

If anyone would like any additional sound/video clips, let me know what you want to see/hear and I'll try to get something before the exhaust is removed. I can't make any promises though...things have been a little hectic lately.

Fatherdeath

Reaction score
dang sorry to hear that, what made you want to swap? to loud? Drone? Angry Neighbors?

shearpin

Reaction score
dang sorry to hear that, what made you want to swap? to loud? Drone? Angry Neighbors?
Honestly, I didn't feel it was all that loud. It definitely put out a more bassy exhaust note. You can hear more of it in the cab at low speeds and light-throttle/moderate-load (like going up a slight incline at speed). I'm not sure if I'd call it drone, but the sound is more present.

It's a different sound...to me it sounds more "grown up" than the Borla systems (no offense to anyone with the Borla, seems to be more fitting on a Rebel than my truck though).

shearpin

Reaction score
I decided to get some readings from my phone app on the decibel levels from the Hooker exhaust compared to the stock, since the stock stuff went back on over the weekend.

Again, this is the Hooker Blackheart cat-back exhaust, BH2459 on a 2019 Limited with 5.7 eTorque.

Stock cold start up, mic 6 feet behind the truck and at the same level as the tips:
IMG_0321.png

Hooker Blackheart cold start up, same mic set up as above:
IMG_0313.png

Everything below is inside the truck...windows up, fan speed on 2, no radio...

Around town, moderate acceleration, speeds up to 40 MPH

Stock:
IMG_0318.png

Blackheart:
IMG_0314.png

20 to 60 MPH hard acceleration

Stock:
IMG_0319.png

Blackheart:
IMG_0315.png

60 MPH cruise, some rolling hills with the truck shifting between 6th, 7th, and 8th

Stock (it is worth noting that there was a crosswind, so this is probably a little bit elevated due to wind noise):
IMG_0320.png

Blackheart:
IMG_0316.png

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I decided to get some readings from my phone app on the decibel levels from the Hooker exhaust compared to the stock, since the stock stuff went back on over the weekend.

Again, this is the Hooker Blackheart cat-back exhaust, BH2459 on a 2019 Limited with 5.7 eTorque.

Stock cold start up, mic 6 feet behind the truck and at the same level as the tips:
View attachment 101083

Hooker Blackheart cold start up, same mic set up as above:
View attachment 101084

Everything below is inside the truck...windows up, fan speed on 2, no radio...

Around town, moderate acceleration, speeds up to 40 MPH

Stock:
View attachment 101085

Blackheart:
View attachment 101086

20 to 60 MPH hard acceleration

Stock:
View attachment 101087

Blackheart:
View attachment 101088

60 MPH cruise, some rolling hills with the truck shifting between 6th, 7th, and 8th

Stock (it is worth noting that there was a crosswind, so this is probably a little bit elevated due to wind noise):
View attachment 101089

Blackheart:
View attachment 101090
Absolutely awesome data! This is the kind of stuff that would greatly help at least my buying choice and probably others as well, the sound the exhaust makes is fully subjective but the sound level is not, and it’s nice to finally see someone show “hard data” for the sound levels. Thank you!!!

shearpin

Reaction score
Absolutely awesome data! This is the kind of stuff that would greatly help at least my buying choice and probably others as well, the sound the exhaust makes is fully subjective but the sound level is not, and it’s nice to finally see someone show “hard data” for the sound levels. Thank you!!!
I completely agree...I'd love to see exhaust manufacturers include this kind of data on their sites. It might not be completely useful from one manufacturer to another because of varied equipment, but you would be able to at least compare one of their systems to another.

I have to give credit to JAK's thread Borla Touring System comparison vs Stock, which is where I got the idea.

morwyne

Reaction score
Just ordered the b2 fabrications muffler delete and resonator delete with the 5 in tips can’t wait for it to come in I’m sure my neighbors are going to love it since I work nights and most days I’m getting home at 3am

Any update? How's the sound?

RamLink83

Reaction score
I went from an ATAK to a Touring because I thought the ATAK as too loud and definitely didn't want to deal with the noise at 3000 RPMs when towing my Rzr up a hill. Since installing the Touring, I've put over 1000 miles on it and really hate the MDS "fart". I like the sound of it when it starts up and when I'm driving along, but the noises as the engine turns on/off the MDS is pretty bad. Also, I've noticed that sometimes I'll get a backfire type of sound when I let off the gas after cruising at highway speeds. Not sure if the resonator will help or not, but I think the Touring is all marketing hype. For me, overall, it's a crappy experience. I still have my factory exhaust so I could pay a shop to put it back on and do the necessary welds, but if I do that, I'm not sure what I can do to get the growl back without the "farting" noises of the MDS.
I have the touring as well and noticed that 'backfire' type sound sometimes when letting off the gas at cruising speed. I bypass the MDS using the gear selector so I don't get that farting noise.

I'm debating on changing over to AWE but concerned it could be too loud, but in my opinion the Touring is way louder than I thought. Probably not much difference in volume vs the ATAK, just different tone.

Do you still have your Touring or did you go with another exhaust?

ReLLIK75

Reaction score
With AFE Shorty headers and a custom tune on top of my Borla Touring, I have to say I'm finally happy with the way my truck sounds. I do wish it wasn't as loud in 7th gear since the truck tends to stay there quite a bit while on the highway, but once it gets in to 8th gear, things quiet down nicely. Not as quiet as my friend's RSQ8, but then again, it's a truck--not a luxury rocket ship.

Users who are viewing this thread