5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What does everyone do for a living?

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can I get some special award for being stationed at KI Sawyer in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan? The base has been closed for many years, but I was a missile tech for air to ground nukes back in the early 90s.

Today, I manage a global network providing data, video, voice and wireless technologies.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Can I get some special award for being stationed at KI Sawyer in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan? The base has been closed for many years, but I was a missile tech for air to ground nukes back in the early 90s.

Today, I manage a global network providing data, video, voice and wireless technologies.
One question...snowmobiling in your blood?

Bigtone

Reaction score
Noticed some people mention their careers and I'm always interested in what other people do for a living.

I'm an Instrumentation and Controls Technician. We're basically glorified industrial electricians who focus on calibration of instruments and programming of industrial logic. I've been fortunate enough to work in and around various industries such as Oil/Gas, Powergen, Wastewater, Automotive, Aviation and currently Food/Bev. I really love my job and encourage people to look into it or other trades as we're staring down a real shortage of tradesmen in the upcoming years.

I'd love to hear what you guys do!
Retired, but I was also an I&C Technician, but in Commercial Nuclear Power. Had a 33 year career there at one Nuclear Plant, was lucky enough to retire early.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Retired, but I was also an I&C Technician, but in Commercial Nuclear Power. Had a 33 year career there at one Nuclear Plant, was lucky enough to retire early.

Nice. I interviewed at Plant Vogtle down here in Georgia which is also a nuclear plant. I'd love to have gotten on but fate had other plans. I think Nuclear is probably the coolest. I don't mind what I'm doing making beer though lol! Hoping for a long career here.

Bigtone

Reaction score
Nice. I interviewed at Plant Vogtle down here in Georgia which is also a nuclear plant. I'd love to have gotten on but fate had other plans. I think Nuclear is probably the coolest. I don't mind what I'm doing making beer though lol! Hoping for a long career here.
You can always find work in I&C....People don't realize how much older equipment there is in Nuclear plants. At least at Susquehanna, where I worked. Old technology was neat to work on. We just started getting into the more modern stuff the last 10 years or so that I worked there.

shrubs2000

Reaction score
That ain't no joke. There should be a special medal for Minot, Vance, Altus, Tinker, Offutt, and Ellsworth... Just saying... :ROFLMAO:
Minot: 1996 -2002!!

KnightMoves

Reaction score
Figured I'd join in after browsing the threads. Currently I am a Corporate Manager for a large electrical utility in Nebraska. I spent time in system operations prior, and was a journeyman electrician before starting a career where I am at.

BNeal

Reaction score
I managed the photography/video department for John Deere Corporate in Moline, IL. My studio was 55,000 sq/ft of coolness! Took an early retirement package last Feb. My wife and I then moved to Frisco, TX and now I am the manager of training and development for a large Deere dealership with 29 stores spread over 3 states. Very cool gig after all those years doing the corporate thing - although, I think I had the best job at Deere.

HAL9001

Reaction score
I'm an almost retired Advisory Engineer. 40 years with IBM and 5 with GlobalFoundries after they purchased IBM's Microelectronics division. I've worked as an Electrical Engineer, an Electromechanical Engineer, and for the last 20 years as a Software Engineer. I used to design semiconductor production test equipment and then I developed production tool control software and now I develop web-based database-driven production applications. I'll be retiring this September at age 65.

redbranch

Reaction score
I managed the photography/video department for John Deere Corporate in Moline, IL. My studio was 55,000 sq/ft of coolness! Took an early retirement package last Feb. My wife and I then moved to Frisco, TX and now I am the manager of training and development for a large Deere dealership with 29 stores spread over 3 states. Very cool gig after all those years doing the corporate thing - although, I think I had the best job at Deere.
Wonder if you were in charge/part of the dealer video promo John Deere filmed at our horse farm in northern WI? It would have been summer of 2003. That was a fun couple of days, because we got to play with all the new equipment coming out. I got to play "Bowhunter Barbie" for the new Gator and drive it through the woods and over a log, in full camo with my archery equipment, and then I was supposed to be riding a horse over a jump, alongside a mower on the other side of the arena fence.

BNeal

Reaction score
Wonder if you were in charge/part of the dealer video promo John Deere filmed at our horse farm in northern WI? It would have been summer of 2003. That was a fun couple of days, because we got to play with all the new equipment coming out. I got to play "Bowhunter Barbie" for the new Gator and drive it through the woods and over a log, in full camo with my archery equipment, and then I was supposed to be riding a horse over a jump, alongside a mower on the other side of the arena fence.
Probably not. In '03 we were only shooting still imagery internally and outsourcing all things video. We actually just started shooting video in 2013. Still outsource most of the national tv ads, but the department capabilities are growing and starting to produce more of the high-profile stuff

Users who are viewing this thread