5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What does everyone do for a living?

41magmag41

Reaction score
Sat in a cruiser for the Kentucky State Police for awhile, cost me my first marriage, did some DOD law enforcement, help run the max unit on the third shift at the NH state prison and got fed up with law enforcement. Have driven a heavy triaxle dump truck for almost 20 years, paving roads in NH. Retired for a year and half, got the itch for a new pickup, my 2019 Ram 1500, went back to the triaxcle to help put goodies on the Ram.

louscrw

Reaction score
23yrs Active Duty Air Force, retired in 2018. Now I’m a DoD civil service employee, working towards retirement #2. I’m a Management Representative, basically I advise supervisors on appropriate discipline actions and assist management with answer EEO complaint and union grievances

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Depends....many fed jobs to include military. Join at 18 and you could retire at 38 with 20 years of active service .

Completely different retirement structure though...he’d be a military retiree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tones1975

Reaction score
Noticed some people mention their careers and I'm always interested in what other people do for a living.

I'm an Instrumentation and Controls Technician. We're basically glorified industrial electricians who focus on calibration of instruments and programming of industrial logic. I've been fortunate enough to work in and around various industries such as Oil/Gas, Powergen, Wastewater, Automotive, Aviation and currently Food/Bev. I really love my job and encourage people to look into it or other trades as we're staring down a real shortage of tradesmen in the upcoming years.

I'd love to hear what you guys do!
I work in the telecommunications industry. Installing fiber optics in multi unit dwellings.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Besides deferring retirement, an official "early out" or reduction in force, disability retirement or just plain quitting... federal law enforcement officers, firefighters and air traffic controllers under FERS can retire at any age if they have 25 years of service. Congressional employees get sweetheart deals too.

I'm under regular FERS so I can't retire until I'm 56.5 years old (for a total of 35 years served). 3 Years, 3 Months, 13 Days, 3 Hours and 37 Minutes to go......... :poop:

Last edited:

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Worked in sales/marketing for 27 years at a PC company, and took early retirement in Dec 2019. Then proceeded to put 21K miles on the motorcycle during my "Covid sabbatical" - absolutely awesome and capped it off with a two week trip from Texas to Idaho and back.
Then started working for one of the largest software companies. Having a ball but it's definitely cut into my riding...

You'll probably see me around here more now that I'm not on the road every day. ;)

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sat in a cruiser for the Kentucky State Police for awhile, cost me my first marriage, did some DOD law enforcement, help run the max unit on the third shift at the NH state prison and got fed up with law enforcement. Have driven a heavy triaxle dump truck for almost 20 years, paving roads in NH. Retired for a year and half, got the itch for a new pickup, my 2019 Ram 1500, went back to the triaxcle to help put goodies on the Ram.

Question is, what do you do all Winter?

It is currently Frost-heave season! Yay!!!

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love these kind of threads. I can't sit still and it drove my first 3 long term girlfriends away because I just stay so busy. The woman I'm marrying now luckily has put up with it for 7 years so I think she's a keeper. I'll use bullets to keep things simple because I can be VERY long winded if someone lets me, now my background is that I've always loved computers and technology, since age 10 I've had a blog, took apart computers, dabbled in tech support & consulting (even when I was 14) and before I was 18, was speaking at tech conferences, started a couple of companies and sort of made my own way w/o any help from my parents (I'm very proud that I've never taken money from my parents since I was 18, I moved out and went right to work), I loved writing so much that after high school, I drove a box truck for a lumber yard because the hours were 4AM to noon and I could get home and still write in the evenings. Then someone from apple called me and invited me to join their management training program in CA and then I moved out from Florida to SF and now I live in New Hampshire because I just love it up here. Seasons, quiet, outdoors, good people, I can work remotely and Florida & California were too expensive, too hot and too many people. I'm so glad the internet exists so I can make money from anywhere. I'm glad to call Northern NH my home. I am 34, and have been in NH since I was 25 after spending 6 years in SF.

-Day job, I work at Tom Tom who actually is an FCA partner on the next infotainment system. I'm a senior project manager there who also runs our global internship program. Before COVID, I got to travel a lot which I loved. Being a farm-boy from florida, it's crazy to go to all of these places.
-Nights, I am a real estate agent and I manage 6 condo associations each with 78 individual units and I work for the association, not the units and I also manage 8 rental properties
-Weekends, I make money writing, photography, story-telling and making YouTube videos. I don't consider myself an influencer but I love storytelling and just talking about things I'm interested in and it turns out people really enjoy that. I'll link to a couple of 'ride reports' & 'build threads' below. They're long but some people like them.
-I also for the last 4 years have dabbled in day-trading, nothing extreme but it keeps my mind busy as I love looking at numbers and doing data modeling in my spare time
-I'm retired from IT but I still run a nice home network IT lab just to stay up with the times, still dabble with WordPress development and hosting stuff I'm slowly parlaying some new income into my other hobby which is motorcycling. I'm on the Vermont BMW club as VP which has 450 members and I'm seeking election in April for the national BMW club as a director, I run a lot of New England motorcycle rallies & trainings and try to promote safe riding, overland tours and dual sport rides in our area. I consider 'riding' my hobby but of course, I'm very involved with a lot of the activities. Can't wait to retire so I can focus on the things I enjoy most full time.

Bunch of links here - https://about.me/adam.chandler

I'm a hustler at heart and tinker-er so I'll make money any way I can so long as it's legal. Most importantly, I just like being busy!

Ride report - https://advrider.com/f/threads/3-blokes-from-new-hampshire-visit-colorado-and-utah-2020.1469006/
Build Thread - https://advrider.com/f/threads/heather_bs-buzz-2019-f750gs-build-thread.1402719/

Users who are viewing this thread