5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Cool.

But don't you think it even a little odd that the bad gas only presented a problem at 1/4 tank?
Yeah, I dunno, fresh fuel fixed it. I routinely run my tank down to E, and had mess rhan 10 miles to empty before previous tank with questionable gas. Will see if problem presents itself again at the same fuel tank level.

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought those were deemed illegal. they disappeared around here after a couple years, disappeared as quickly as they appeared.
In 🇨🇦, the roadside speed cameras in unmarked vehicles were deemed illegal. I’m not sure how the red light/speed cameras got their way back into existence.

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There should never be an occasion to need to change the the filter inside the fuel tank unless you are dumping dirt inside your fuel tank. Fuel pumps, at gas stations, all have filters on them that filter the fuel before going in your tank. Water in the fuel is your biggest concern from a gas station followed by just bad gas in general.
Don’t we have an in-line fuel filter outside of the gas tank? I haven’t had to work on my trucks for about 25 years as they have always been new every 3 years or so, but I remember my older vehicles having them. I also remember my Dad telling me never to run my fuel down to E or below 1/8 tank because it could pick sediments in the gas tank and cause issues.

billfraley

Reaction score
Cool.

But don't you think it even a little odd that the bad gas only presented a problem at 1/4 tank?
When the gas gets low, anything at the bottom of the tank will get pulled into the fuel system. Maybe there were contaminants that settled to the bottom of the tank.

aprez

Reaction score
Swapped out the black rails for the silver rails, and had a Retrax Pro XR installed with Cross Bars. I have a Yakima Skinny Warrior basket that will go in the middle, then I need to get a couple of bike racks for the outside. Will do ski racks in the winter.

Old Rails.jpg

New Rails.jpg

Cover 1.jpg

cover 2.jpg

cover 3.jpg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Don’t we have an in-line fuel filter outside of the gas tank? I haven’t had to work on my trucks for about 25 years as they have always been new every 3 years or so, but I remember my older vehicles having them. I also remember my Dad telling me never to run my fuel down to E or below 1/8 tank because it could pick sediments in the gas tank and cause issues.

No, there is no inline filter outside of the tank. It's all been combined with the fuel pump, and level sensor on a drop in assembly inside the tank. The filter is before the fuel pump.
When the gas gets low, anything at the bottom of the tank will get pulled into the fuel system. Maybe there were contaminants that settled to the bottom of the tank.
As I mentioned, unless you are dumping dirt into your gas tanks there should be nothing in the bottom of the tank, other than fuel. Also, the fuel pump always pulls from the bottom of the tank. So if sediment was an issue, it wouldn't matter how full the fuel tank was. If anything, you'd have more issues right after filling as everything is stirred up and more likely to get sucked in.

billfraley

Reaction score
No, there is no inline filter outside of the tank. It's all been combined with the fuel pump, and level sensor on a drop in assembly inside the tank. The filter is before the fuel pump.

As I mentioned, unless you are dumping dirt into your gas tanks there should be nothing in the bottom of the tank, other than fuel. Also, the fuel pump always pulls from the bottom of the tank. So if sediment was an issue, it wouldn't matter how full the fuel tank was. If anything, you'd have more issues right after filling as everything is stirred up and more likely to get sucked in.
That is all fine and good when getting gas from a reputable station. However, if he did get gas from a station that isn’t properly filtering their gas, or introducing water into the gas, it could settle at the bottom of the tank, and might explain why he didn’t see a problem until the tank was low.

Personally, I would run some fuel system cleaner in my truck after something like what he experienced.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This was my thinking, but wasn't in the mood to argue last night.
Nothing to argue about. The fuel pump doesn't float on top of the fuel. It's always pulling from bottom of the tank. Fuel floats on water. If it was water or a sediment/dirt issue it would happen anytime. Not when it gets close to being empty. But, if the fuel was bad, or was something that separated and was floating on top of the fuel, once the level of the tank got low, the fuel pump could then start sucking that in. Which is why I said I will wait to see what happens towards the end of this tank

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That is all fine and good when getting gas from a reputable station. However, if he did get gas from a station that isn’t properly filtering their gas, or introducing water into the gas, it could settle at the bottom of the tank, and might explain why he didn’t see a problem until the tank was low.

Personally, I would run some fuel system cleaner in my truck after something like what he experienced.
I run fuel system additive/cleaner almost every tank, which is basically just higher detergent package. And it was in on the tank that was having issues.

Insanity

Reaction score
LOL that's not how sediments work. They don't just magically drop to the bottom of the tank when at 1/4 or less they are always at the bottom. All this don't let the tank go to 1/4 or sediment or you will overheat your pump is a load of BS morons buy into.

stevieb92

Reaction score
Bro...I mean no disrespect....but you should know that you present as a perpetual 'arguer' here.

You are quite knowledgeable when it comes to our trucks, but conversations tend to take a turn when you enter.
The ignore button works quite well for people like him. He's on my ignore list.

HEMIJAKE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Today I thought I was going to have to make an appointment at the dealer. Truck started running bad at anything above 1/2 throttle and above 3k RPM. No power, and wouldn't shift. Almost seemed like it was hitting a traction control fuel cutoff. Had about 1/4 tank when I first started to notice a slight issue and it got worse as fuel level went down. On a hail Mary before calling dealer, I filled up the tank with some 93 from a station I use regularly, and truck started running better almost immediately. The last time I filled up, I filled up at a station I had sworn off before because they always looked like shady stations you'd get bad gas at. But they have been remodeling all the local ones, and they even got Top Tier designation. So figured I give them a try since they were cheapest option, and top tier. Guess that was a bad jdea. They are back in the do not use list.
Had that recently with my side by side and a local mom and pop station. Found out later other guys were finding water in their fuel. A little dry gas, ran it down, and filled it somewhere else. Took care of it. They went on my do not use list as well.

billfraley

Reaction score
So, technically the pump assembly is mounted on the top side of the tank and draws from the bottom. So it could be that there was water in the gas and when it reached the lower level of fuel there was too much water remaining.

I am old, and I remember water in gas causing major damage to cars before the modern fuel tank and fuel pump designs. But water is still not good to have in your gas tank.

billfraley

Reaction score
I run fuel system additive/cleaner almost every tank, which is basically just higher detergent package. And it was in on the tank that was having issues.
*** edit *** I should have said they help the water burn out of the system

There are some additives specific to removing water from your fuel system also.

Users who are viewing this thread