5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
so follow up question, when you do have the key inside the AJT fob, does it stay put, or does it rattle around in there making the fob sound like you have tic-tacs in your pocket? :ROFLMAO:

I also notice that Adam is now actually coloring the marks on the button faces which is excellent. the ones i had were black buttons with embossed symbols but they didn't pop out at you, so when like the wife grabbed my keys she's have to kinda give them a 2nd or 3rd look before picking the right button. looks like thats not an issue no mo. are his buttons still also injection molded plastic, or rubber now?
The buttons are injection molded

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can send a pic of the buttons, they are really nice IMO and the key is held in place by a raised plastic outline of the key shape. No noise at all or Id throw it away.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
Nice write up, you have me thinking about ordering one of these. One question though, how do you turn the key if needed with the key fob end removed?

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hellwig sway bar installed.
It makes a difference.

CORE 4x4 links next to accommodate the 2" rear lift.

26dac009095c969bf16126cb50b4f944.jpg
dc38e52782672d89b9c9f1a6c5a7c58d.jpg

Last edited:

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice write up, you have me thinking about ordering one of these. One question though, how do you turn the key if needed with the key fob end removed?
I was thinking that too.
It looks like you'll need to carry a set of pliers in a leather pouch on your belt.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I was thinking the same, but before I posted, I went out and opened my door with the spare key. It turns really easy, so I don't think it will be a problem without the knuckle.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i installed amber Diode Dynamics SSC3 Pro amber fog lights, which I ordered as a kit (including trim/surrounds) from Retro Shop. I didn’t take any night pictures yet, but wow, what a difference!

I just got back from a short test drive, and I’m able to see with just the fogs on. I haven’t aimed them yet, but they are a huge upgrade from stock.

On at least two camping/overlanding trips (one in North Georgia, another in Montana and Wyoming), I found myself in dense fog where I could see a couple of inches in front of me. Headlights were worse than useless, and the stock fog lights weren’t much better. Having brighter, amber fogs would have made these trips much more comfortable (especially in the Rockies, where we were on a high mountain pass).

If you do any camping or hunting, or live in a rural area, these would likely benefit you greatly. I’ll post some night shots soon. Very happy with this upgrade so far.

Diode Dynamics sells these in three brightness levels: Sport, Pro, Max. I have the Pros, which is the mid-brightness. If you have the LEDs, you’ll need the trim/surrounds from Mopar, which Retro Shop offers as an option. If you’ve got halogen headlights/fog lights, use the stock trim pieces.

View attachment 148227 View attachment 148228

I’m looking forward to both pics of what the lens looks like in the day with the lights off & those night shots. Right now I just have Amber/orange Lamin-x film over the stock lens.

My original plan was to match the 3 bottom lights by getting the Shifts & Grins brackets & Diode Dynamics center LED light bar in amber because my plan is to battle the fog and living in a rural area also, but these fog lights are about the same price and looks like they might be less work. What do you think? I’m also thinking it’d be a little pricey & overkill to have DD fog lights AND DD center light bar. I haven’t priced the fog bezels vs the open center grill yet either.

I was originally looking at the Baja Designs the other day & I do like that they’re a little less money & come with the bezels but obviously there’s a little bit of a power difference. I wish there was a way to see the differences better.

Attachments

• 2E808138-17C1-4947-846F-4E46D83E9ABA.jpeg
    2E808138-17C1-4947-846F-4E46D83E9ABA.jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 65

JamRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not today, but yesterday....

Called the collision repair company and got confirmation that they won't be getting to my truck until Feb 15.

😒

Noreastern

Reaction score
Which vendor did you use for the 3rd light and did the overlay have holes for the screws?
Which vendor did you use for the 3rd light and did the overlay have holes for the screws?
I purchased them from luxeautoconcepts. They had the holes in the overlay precut. You could leave them on or pull them to have access to the acres.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m looking forward to both pics of what the lens looks like in the day with the lights off & those night shots. Right now I just have Amber/orange Lamin-x film over the stock lens.

My original plan was to match the 3 bottom lights by getting the Shifts & Grins brackets & Diode Dynamics center LED light bar in amber because my plan is to battle the fog and living in a rural area also, but these fog lights are about the same price and looks like they might be less work. What do you think? I’m also thinking it’d be a little pricey & overkill to have DD fog lights AND DD center light bar. I haven’t priced the fog bezels vs the open center grill yet either.

I was originally looking at the Baja Designs the other day & I do like that they’re a little less money & come with the bezels but obviously there’s a little bit of a power difference. I wish there was a way to see the differences better.

@jimothy - just found this video that shows both on the same truck. Very well put together, informative, & short/to the point video explanation.

raygun9

Reaction score
It turns fine without the knuckle... one of the first things I checked. I only checked mine in the door handle, I dont own ramboxes.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@jimothy - just found this video that shows both on the same truck. Very well put together, informative, & short/to the point video explanation.
That's a good video to show the beam pattern of each. Based on the name of the lights and the videos the the Baja Designs is more of a flood light where as the Diode Dynamics is a spot light. Creator of the video does a good job explaining the situations where each one would be a better application. On my aftermarket bumper, I am using the Rough Country light pods. I have the flood style beam on the outside facing towards the side and the spot beam style on the inside position that faces more forward(but still angled to side some). They really light up the side of the road. Will be awesome for driving in rural Nebraska keeping an eye out for deer.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's a good video to show the beam pattern of each. Based on the name of the lights and the videos the the Baja Designs is more of a flood light where as the Diode Dynamics is a spot light. Creator of the video does a good job explaining the situations where each one would be a better application. On my aftermarket bumper, I am using the Rough Country light pods. I have the flood style beam on the outside facing towards the side and the spot beam style on the inside position that faces more forward(but still angled to side some). They really light up the side of the road. Will be awesome for driving in rural Nebraska keeping an eye out for deer.

I hear you on the deer, they basically live in large groups behind our house and are always around. Plus we are by a river & creeks with some hills so there are definitely some dense foggy areas. I actually have the rough country light pods and light bar on my jeep, and I like everything about them except the switch - I could not find a three way switch to replace the one that they came with, but not a huge deal, just wanted something different.

I’m still a little torn on what to do on the ram. Since the truck is for on road use only I should probably spend the extra dollar and go with diode dynamics, but the 30 inch light bar and brackets are less expensive than the fog lights. I definitely like the price point of the Baja‘s better, and they come with the bezels, but they might blind oncoming traffic, and I might get flashed or pulled over sometimes. 🤷🏽‍♂️

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I hear you on the deer, they basically live in large groups behind our house and are always around. Plus we are by a river & creeks with some hills so there are definitely some dense foggy areas. I actually have the rough country light pods and light bar on my jeep, and I like everything about them except the switch - I could not find a three way switch to replace the one that they came with, but not a huge deal, just wanted something different.

I’m still a little torn on what to do on the ram. Since the truck is for on road use only I should probably spend the extra dollar and go with diode dynamics, but the 30 inch light bar and brackets are less expensive than the fog lights. I definitely like the price point of the Baja‘s better, and they come with the bezels, but they might blind oncoming traffic, and I might get flashed or pulled over sometimes. 🤷🏽‍♂️
Judging the light pattern shown in the video, it doesn't look like they will blind oncoming drivers. The main beam is still focused low. What little scatter there is above the main beam won't be enough to annoy drivers. Especially if using amber lens. And if these are designed to go in place of the factory fog lights I would hope there would be some sort of adjustment that can be made for aiming them

Users who are viewing this thread