5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2020 with 33k and the strips have been on since the factory. From as far as I can tell, my fat a$$ trying to get under as far as I can see, I don't have anything unusual going on at the moment. I've also never done anything to the exhaust, all stock from tip to tail. I also pull a 37 foot travel trailer with mine, if this in any way helps your theory.
(y)I tend to be a fan of whatever works. If it doesn't make weird noises or have pieces falling off, I'll probably leave it alone.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't dived deep into the root cause of these problems, so I've got a question. Is it because of expansion/contraction due to heat, or is it the galvanic reaction between dissimilar metals? The picture above showing a rusty bolt would lead me to believe it's a galvanic reaction issue.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2020 has them, this is the passenger side. Build date of Oct 19

View attachment 145566
But it looks like you also have a bolt on the end of the manifold that isn't through the strips. Was this an intermediate step in the design evolution? I dunno, getting more curious, gonna have to take a closer look at my own.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
But it looks like you also have a bolt on the end of the manifold that isn't through the strips. Was this an intermediate step in the design evolution? I dunno, getting more curious, gonna have to take a closer look at my own.
I don't know but I've pulled enough exhaust manifolds to know that a driver side a passenger side may have different bolts in different places. The passenger side was easiest for me to see.

The guy I quoted looks like either a manifold revision or his pic is the driver side as he doesn't have the center bolt on the end that I do.
Mine has the upper lower and the outer where his just appears to have the upper and lower so, I don't know

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't dived deep into the root cause of these problems, so I've got a question. Is it because of expansion/contraction due to heat, or is it the galvanic reaction between dissimilar metals? The picture above showing a rusty bolt would lead me to believe it's a galvanic reaction issue.
Thermal I think. Galvanic I would expect to see where the metals meet, not over the entire surface.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's happened to both of mine. Seems to be hit or miss on whether it happens or not. 2020 with 36,xxx miles. Replaced the passenger side under warranty and I need to go back in for the drivers side. Just don't feel like dealing with the service dept.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's happened to both of mine. Seems to be hit or miss on whether it happens or not. 2020 with 36,xxx miles. Replaced the passenger side under warranty and I need to go back in for the drivers side. Just don't feel like dealing with the service dept.
and did yours had the strips?

Last edited:

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
MIne did not crack but I put shorty headers on under 10K miles because I got a great deal on them and all the talk about cracking manifolds.
I was wondering if the shorty headers might have their own unique problems, what with short welded tubes pulling on flanges at weird angles. Do you have any thoughts on that?

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I was wondering if the shorty headers might have their own unique problems, what with short welded tubes pulling on flanges at weird angles. Do you have any thoughts on that?

Headers in general need to be re-tightened/retorqued every so many thousand miles.
Some loctite the bolts, I didn't on my car, just check them every 10k or so

397STROKER

Reaction score
I have not had any issues so far. I got the AFE shorty headers. I had shorty headers on my 97 ram and never had a problem.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My passenger side manifold has that lone bolt in the front. I just assumed it wasn't in line, so no strip.

I've run headers on many vehicles without issue. I can't remember ever having anything with manifold flanges this thick though, or so many reported cases of broken bolts and cracks.

My feeling is the bending moment/fatigue of a long bolt through a thick flange, regardless of any tricks they employ. It's likely both manifold and bolts are similar steels, so galvanic corrosion is unlikely.

However, that does bring up a good question. Where are they breaking? Near the head of the bolt? Flush with the cylinder head? Somewhere in between? Just bolts breaking, not studs? Not sure how many of each there are.

Sounds like there are still issues with the strips, and ill probably go with shorties.

RAMonkey

Reaction score
I put this dash cover on from Covercraft. It seems well made, but I gotta sit with it for a while. I’m getting a late 70s Cadillac vibe…

Attachments

• 4F3CB7EF-0676-4BFE-843E-E111C33CDC54.jpeg
    4F3CB7EF-0676-4BFE-843E-E111C33CDC54.jpeg
    147.2 KB · Views: 182
  • A5B51CBF-8E2C-4C33-A9F4-9D155CE0C0AB.jpeg
    A5B51CBF-8E2C-4C33-A9F4-9D155CE0C0AB.jpeg
    126.1 KB · Views: 182
  • 0E165F68-6AFC-4A67-A41E-963D197F43D2.jpeg
    0E165F68-6AFC-4A67-A41E-963D197F43D2.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 182

RAMonkey

Reaction score
I'll hold my tongue on the dash cover. But I have to say, I LOVE the "Fire Missiles" button on your cigarette lighter outlet.
Thanks. I’m waiting for my son to discover it!. Now, do I let my wife set her eyes on the dash cover. That’s the real question…

Users who are viewing this thread