5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

JamRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's been several times I would have used it if I had it in the past. We go grocery shopping every Sunday. My wife's Traverse, I always open the hatch as we are walking up to it. Would do the same with tailgate if I had feature. Now I do. I mean, it's not a necessity, but just like having the tailgate open warning in the dash, if it's an option I can make work, I want to have it. My BigHorn BTS didn't come from factory with either,.and now I have both working
Tell me more about this 'tailgate open warning "....🤔

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
He’s probably talking about his traverse. My wife’s Durango has a warning if you leave the back hatch open. My ram doesn’t have any tailgate ajar warning. Maybe the mft has it I don’t have that one

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Some trim packages and certain years came with it. Seems the newer models don’t have it activated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
He’s probably talking about his traverse. My wife’s Durango has a warning if you leave the back hatch open. My ram doesn’t have any tailgate ajar warning. Maybe the mft has it I don’t have that one
My 2021 Longhorn, and my 2019 Laramie before it, both have tailgate ajar warning. The red symbol in the upper right always displays; the image of the truck only shows if the truck is not in park.

31032822-5CF2-47A5-9C3B-CDAB05A5DE49.jpeg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Tell me more about this 'tailgate open warning "....🤔
Some trim packages and certain years came with it. Seems the newer models don’t have it activated.

If you enable the tailgate ajar warning and it works, then the remote release with keyfob will work as well. I don't think the Warlock or tradesman trim levels can make it work. Bighorn and higher

Nope, on my Ram. It's a feature that can be enabled with alfaOBD. From what I have seen, only the higher optioned Laramie and Limited have it activated from factory.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm gonna hug and kiss it this evening.
I'm driving a 20 F150 rental for work and it's a steaming pile of poop.

Steering is heavy, almost feels like the power assist is off.
Ten speed trans shifts hard and not at all pleasant to drive.
The guard that protects the door handle hits me in the knee.
I feel like the blind spots and mirrors are worse than whatever generation my 13 was.

The only thing that I do better with this rental truck over my RAM is I can back up into a spot using the backup cam without needing to correct. Keep in mind I drive the 13 F150 for 8 years and have only had my RAM for 1.5 years.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I feel like the blind spots and mirrors are worse than whatever generation my 13 was.

The only thing that I do better with this rental truck over my RAM is I can back up into a spot using the backup cam without needing to correct. Keep in mind I drive the 13 F150 for 8 years and have only had my RAM for 1.5 years.
What is different about backing up that you have to correct with the RAM?

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nope, on my Ram. It's a feature that can be enabled with alfaOBD. From what I have seen, only the higher optioned Laramie and Limited have it activated from factory.
Interesting as my Bighorn has this activated from the factory. Then again I have a really optioned out Bighorn.

broman66

Reaction score
Went in for oil change and came back to this. Dealer going to fixed it but all the beeping from the sensors and the back up camera and the oil change guy still backs it into something. Expensive oil change thinking about $4000. Needs new tail light and the body work and they renting me a vehicle for 1 to 2 weeks at $750 a week.
Dude, I feel for you. I went to the dealership yesterday for an oil change and tire rotation and when I went to pay, the manager said that there was an incident with your truck. The a-hole in me immediately said to myself "Oh here it comes. They want to do more work = $$$." But I was wrong!!
The manager owned up to one of the mechanics backing into something, scratching the bumper. He offered to replace at no cost. Unfortunately, parts are backordered, but they will call me when parts are in and painted. I was thankful that the dealership was honest and didn't wait for me to do my walk around and finding it. There are good dealerships out there. Some are even great! I wasn't even upset. I normally do my own work, so I know **** happens. Just glad that it will all be covered.

Attachments

• IMG_7493.JPEG
    IMG_7493.JPEG
    68.6 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_7491.JPEG
    IMG_7491.JPEG
    86.6 KB · Views: 97

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Your truck might have it, but you would have to activate it with AlfaOBD. Mine wasn't activated from the factory.
20220123_134801.jpg

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's been several times I would have used it if I had it in the past. We go grocery shopping every Sunday. My wife's Traverse, I always open the hatch as we are walking up to it. Would do the same with tailgate if I had feature. Now I do. I mean, it's not a necessity, but just like having the tailgate open warning in the dash, if it's an option I can make work, I want to have it. My BigHorn BTS didn't come from factory with either,.and now I have both working

My '19 Laramie (with Level 2 equipment group) shows Tailgate Open warnings. I didn't have to do anything to activate that. I definitely agree that is nice to have. I was leaving the range last Friday and forgot to close the tailgate. As I pulled away, it popped up on the EVIC. I DO wish there was a button/switch like there is for Rear ParkSense, though, that would let me disable the tailgate warning indefinitely. I had a big bench in the back for 3 or 4 days last week until I could drop it off at its new home. Every time I got in my truck, that tailgate warning would pop up and I'd have to hit OK to make it go away again.

I think one of the reasons I never use the tailgate open button on my remote is that I basically put my remote in my pocket and never touch it for anything (normally). I use the button on the door handle to lock it and the touch on the back side of the handle to unlock it. The tailgate will open when it's locked, as long as I have the key fob in my pocket. So, I pretty much never fish around in my pocket to pull out the key fob. If I'm walking up with groceries, I would just open the tailgate with my hand rather than fish for the fob.

As my grandmother used to tell me, "that's why there's chocolate and vanilla." LOL :D

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Have you tried it with the fixed parking lines? Granted these cams have made us worse at just doing it, but My tundra had fixed ones and it parked it fine, my GMC had only dynamic lines (which lie to you) or no lines so that thin was never parked str8 the whole time I had it

First thing I did was change my dynamic lines to fixed in the Ram and she’s str8 as an arrow ery time now.

TSL

Reaction score
I installed my third—and final, goshdarnit—iteration of a bed rack. It's from Xtrusion Overland, and is constructed from 15 series aluminum extrusion. This makes it super customizable, and I'll be adding other goodies to it over time. I've got the parts to add an additional set of side bars to each side to hold more stuff, and the bars can be set at any height along th vertical supports.

View attachment 134225

You can get these in multiple configurations: Different heights, lengths, black or silver (I kinda which I had gone for silver), four or six vertical supports, different ways of mounting (mine works with my Retrax XR retractable cover). Mine is 66" long, 18" heigh, which places it about 5" below the top of the cab.

I really want to find a way to add/relocate the camera for the digital rearview mirror to the back of the rack, so I've got an unobstructed view of what's behind me. The rack partially covers the CHMSL camera, and went my rooftop tent is mounted, the camera (and brake light) will be completely blocked. I have a 2021 Ram; 2022 added an option for trailer surround view cameras, which would make this easy provided you can find the parts. I know I can use a Fakra cable to extend the camera, but I still have to work out how to route the cable, what camera to use, and how to make the camera waterproof.

I installed my third—and final, goshdarnit—iteration of a bed rack. It's from Xtrusion Overland, and is constructed from 15 series aluminum extrusion. This makes it super customizable, and I'll be adding other goodies to it over time. I've got the parts to add an additional set of side bars to each side to hold more stuff, and the bars can be set at any height along th vertical supports.

View attachment 134225

You can get these in multiple configurations: Different heights, lengths, black or silver (I kinda which I had gone for silver), four or six vertical supports, different ways of mounting (mine works with my Retrax XR retractable cover). Mine is 66" long, 18" heigh, which places it about 5" below the top of the cab.

I really want to find a way to add/relocate the camera for the digital rearview mirror to the back of the rack, so I've got an unobstructed view of what's behind me. The rack partially covers the CHMSL camera, and went my rooftop tent is mounted, the camera (and brake light) will be completely blocked. I have a 2021 Ram; 2022 added an option for trailer surround view cameras, which would make this easy provided you can find the parts. I know I can use a Fakra cable to extend the camera, but I still have to work out how to route the cable, what camera to use, and how to make the camera waterproof.

If you've got ideas or experience on relocating the CHMSL camera (perhaps for a topper), please let me know.

The second photo, below, is my slightly tweaked install from the first photo. I moved the whole rack about 3-4 inches back (toward the tailgate), and relocated the grab handles.

View attachment 134227
I was just at Overland Expo in Redmond, OR this past weekend and stopped by Xtrusion Overland's booth. Actually, I was recommended to go talk to them by the guy at the 23Zero roof top tent stand ( really liked their tents, especially the light blocking technology they have ). Xtrusion Overland had a couple of trucks at their stand showing some of the possibilities, which seem nearly limitless for what you can do with their racks.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My '19 Laramie (with Level 2 equipment group) shows Tailgate Open warnings. I didn't have to do anything to activate that. I definitely agree that is nice to have. I was leaving the range last Friday and forgot to close the tailgate. As I pulled away, it popped up on the EVIC. I DO wish there was a button/switch like there is for Rear ParkSense, though, that would let me disable the tailgate warning indefinitely. I had a big bench in the back for 3 or 4 days last week until I could drop it off at its new home. Every time I got in my truck, that tailgate warning would pop up and I'd have to hit OK to make it go away again.

I think one of the reasons I never use the tailgate open button on my remote is that I basically put my remote in my pocket and never touch it for anything (normally). I use the button on the door handle to lock it and the touch on the back side of the handle to unlock it. The tailgate will open when it's locked, as long as I have the key fob in my pocket. So, I pretty much never fish around in my pocket to pull out the key fob. If I'm walking up with groceries, I would just open the tailgate with my hand rather than fish for the fob.

As my grandmother used to tell me, "that's why there's chocolate and vanilla." LOL :D
My Built to Serve doesnt have the passive entry. I keep my key fob clipped to my beltloop so I can easily reach down and hit buttons to unlock doors.

TSL

Reaction score
The screen said it was connected but nothing worked. Once they got it working, we left and did some shopping. The phone wouldn't work so we headed back to the dealer. For us, the phone had to be paired several times before it started to work correctly. It must be a common issue because the youngster knew exactly what to do.
My wife's new iPhone 13 wouldn't connect either, so decided I couldn't blame my "ancient" phone. For both our phones, the truck would find the phone, send a code to it, we'd confirm on the phone screen that the code was correct, then it would "spin it's wheel's" for a while saying it was connecting, and then give up and say "connection failed".

However... I have just succeeded in getting it to connect on my old phone by taking a different approach : instead of starting with the truck screen and choosing "add a new device", I started on my phone, turned on bluetooth, scanned, found the truck, and tapped the 'connect' button on my phone. This time it worked, truck sent a code, I confirmed it, and it connected.

2019REBEL

Reaction score
keep in mind this will likely show up on a carfax report down the road. If they have to order parts and they include the vin, it's almost guaranteed.

I made them put it on the service request for the oil change. I am hoping it doesn't show but if it does then I can say the dealer did the damage and it wasn't a accident on my part. My insurance isn't involved so no rate increase.

2019REBEL

Reaction score
Dude, I feel for you. I went to the dealership yesterday for an oil change and tire rotation and when I went to pay, the manager said that there was an incident with your truck. The a-hole in me immediately said to myself "Oh here it comes. They want to do more work = $$$." But I was wrong!!
The manager owned up to one of the mechanics backing into something, scratching the bumper. He offered to replace at no cost. Unfortunately, parts are backordered, but they will call me when parts are in and painted. I was thankful that the dealership was honest and didn't wait for me to do my walk around and finding it. There are good dealerships out there. Some are even great! I wasn't even upset. I normally do my own work, so I know **** happens. Just glad that it will all be covered.

That minor compared to mine but yeah dealer is paying for mine too, didn't even charge me for the oil change.:)

SD Rebel

Reaction score

That's cool it ended up well. Ask them if they don't have to report it, since it wasn't actual body work to a main body part, but to a simple bumper replacement. Otherwise it will show up in a car status report as an accident/damage which could negatively effect your trucks resale,

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My wife's new iPhone 13 wouldn't connect either, so decided I couldn't blame my "ancient" phone. For both our phones, the truck would find the phone, send a code to it, we'd confirm on the phone screen that the code was correct, then it would "spin it's wheel's" for a while saying it was connecting, and then give up and say "connection failed".

However... I have just succeeded in getting it to connect on my old phone by taking a different approach : instead of starting with the truck screen and choosing "add a new device", I started on my phone, turned on bluetooth, scanned, found the truck, and tapped the 'connect' button on my phone. This time it worked, truck sent a code, I confirmed it, and it connected.
Not sure if you tried plugging in via USB with either phone, but on my 2020 with UC4, if you plug the phone in through USB, it automatically pairs the phone as well without having to go through the process of verifying a code, or searching for available devices.

Users who are viewing this thread