5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
Your truck might have it, but you would have to activate it with AlfaOBD. Mine wasn't activated from the factory.
View attachment 134357
My Laramie did not have it activated either. I didn't realize it until I lost ~$2000 of ammunition when the tailgate didn't get closed tightly. I reached my destination, went to get the ammo, and the tailgate was open.... NOOOO ammo. I immediately got AlfaOBD and enabled the tailgate ajar warning!

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My '19 Laramie (with Level 2 equipment group) shows Tailgate Open warnings. I didn't have to do anything to activate that. I definitely agree that is nice to have. I was leaving the range last Friday and forgot to close the tailgate. As I pulled away, it popped up on the EVIC. I DO wish there was a button/switch like there is for Rear ParkSense, though, that would let me disable the tailgate warning indefinitely. I had a big bench in the back for 3 or 4 days last week until I could drop it off at its new home. Every time I got in my truck, that tailgate warning would pop up and I'd have to hit OK to make it go away again.
Yeah, pressing the OK button is pretty taxing. :ROFLMAO: It's easy to forget that the tailgate is down, so I'm glad it warns me every time I start up.

HemiDude

Reaction score
Some trim packages and certain years came with it. Seems the newer models don’t have it activated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My 22 has it. Pretty sure my 20 Big Horn did too, although I can't remember if it came that way or I enabled it

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2021 Laramie doesn't have the tailgate ajar warning enabled. I'm not sure if I'd like to spend $100 or so for AlphaODB just to enable it. I've only accidentally left the tailgate open once. Drove about 40miles on the interstate with it open, but fortunately my bed was empty.

Nels

Reaction score
Tailgate ajar warning - it's not activated on my 2019 Laramie. I had asked the dealer about it a while ago and they said my teuck did not come with it. However, I have since obtained my build sheet and it lists Tailgate Ajar Warning. I have the build sheet in my truck ready for the next time it's at the dealer. Not really interested in making a separate appointment for this issue. It will be interesting to see what they have to say this time when I show them the build sheet.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Tailgate ajar warning - it's not activated on my 2019 Laramie. I had asked the dealer about it a while ago and they said my teuck did not come with it. However, I have since obtained my build sheet and it lists Tailgate Ajar Warning. I have the build sheet in my truck ready for the next time it's at the dealer. Not really interested in making a separate appointment for this issue. It will be interesting to see what they have to say this time when I show them the build sheet.

Do you have this indication when your tailgate is open and you shift into D or R? That indication might be the only requirement to meet the "Tailgate Ajar Warning" on your build sheet.
Screenshot_20220712-142410_Chrome.jpg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have this indication when your tailgate is open and you shift into D or R? That indication might be the only requirement to meet the "Tailgate Ajar Warning" on your build sheet.
View attachment 134386
Mine didn't show any indication until I enabled it with alfaOBD. I don't think you can only have the small indicator without the large one working, unless you don't have the digital EVIC display

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have you tried it with the fixed parking lines? Granted these cams have made us worse at just doing it, but My tundra had fixed ones and it parked it fine, my GMC had only dynamic lines (which lie to you) or no lines so that thin was never parked str8 the whole time I had it

First thing I did was change my dynamic lines to fixed in the Ram and she’s str8 as an arrow ery time now.

I'm gonna try that. It is quite possible it is the static vs dynamic

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
🤬 more like what I didn’t do to my ram today!!! Went all the way to queens through crazy bumper to bumper traffic to my friends dealership and the tech said he couldn’t recalibrate my Speedo. My friend is in Florida with his family on vacation so I didn’t contact him. I’m gonna try a local dealer. I don’t care if they charge me. Gas and tolls for nothing cost me fifty bucks. Crazy

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm gonna try that. It is quite possible it is the static vs dynamic

It DEFINITELY was for me. And IIRC ford has both at the same time. Where the fixed lines fade a little whilst the dynamic lines move off of zero, but you can still see them. so it helps. I feel like that should be a standardized thing. But Ram does a good job giving you the choice.

When I had my GMC I even replaced the rear cam with one that had the fixed lines but it wasn’t sized for the truck so it didn’t work out well.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
🤬 more like what I didn’t do to my ram today!!! Went all the way to queens through crazy bumper to bumper traffic to my friends dealership and the tech said he couldn’t recalibrate my Speedo. My friend is in Florida with his family on vacation so I didn’t contact him. I’m gonna try a local dealer. I don’t care if they charge me. Gas and tolls for nothing cost me fifty bucks. Crazy
They will charge you, so you might as well buy AlfaOBD and save yourself a few $$ and the hassle of driving to another dealer that might turn you away.

jimk hunt

Reaction score
I made them put it on the service request for the oil change. I am hoping it doesn't show but if it does then I can say the dealer did the damage and it wasn't a accident on my part. My insurance isn't involved so no rate increase.
My thinking is not insurance but getting a lower trade value due to the "accident" being on carfax. I was rear ended last year with very minor damage. All they had to do was replace the bumper, no paint or body work. Repair shop said they don't report to carfax but it ended up on a report when I checked. Not sure what the source was but I am expecting to get dinged when I eventually trade it.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It DEFINITELY was for me. And IIRC ford has both at the same time. Where the fixed lines fade a little whilst the dynamic lines move off of zero, but you can still see them. so it helps. I feel like that should be a standardized thing. But Ram does a good job giving you the choice.

When I had my GMC I even replaced the rear cam with one that had the fixed lines but it wasn’t sized for the truck so it didn’t work out well.

I didn't see a place to change the lines from dynamic to static.

HemiDude

Reaction score
For all that cost you may as well buy a Tazer and do it yourself

Users who are viewing this thread