5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Road tripped from North San Diego to South Lake Tahoe (~520 miles) and amazingly averaged around 16.5mpg (hand calculated since my speedometer isn’t calibrated)! For such a big truck on 37” MTs I’m stoked I got that high. The exact same trip when the truck was bone stock was 19.5 mpg and the exact same trip with 35s was actually about 16mpg so my mpg got BETTER with the 37s somehow!

Did you correct for the odometer error in your hand calculation?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Road tripped from North San Diego to South Lake Tahoe (~520 miles) and amazingly averaged around 16.5mpg (hand calculated since my speedometer isn’t calibrated)! For such a big truck on 37” MTs I’m stoked I got that high. The exact same trip when the truck was bone stock was 19.5 mpg and the exact same trip with 35s was actually about 16mpg so my mpg got BETTER with the 37s somehow!
Air is thinner at altitude, so less aerodynamic drag.;)

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bigger tires change the gearing so maybe that was part of it? I would think the bigger tire weight would have more of a negative effect vs the change in gearing though.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Bigger tires change the gearing so maybe that was part of it? I would think the bigger tire weight would have more of a negative effect vs the change in gearing though.
Me too, especially since these tires are 13lbs heavier than my 35s were. But whatever the reason, I’m happy for sure!

Skeptic

Reaction score
Added this today. The phone holders will eventually be replaced, one with a 20mm-to-17mm ball adapter to fit a Garmin GPS and the other accommodate a control head for an amateur radio rig.

IMG_5669.jpg

JamRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got back from a 2,200 km road trip with the fam!

I must say that I was quite pleased with the Ram. The 3.6 may not get much respect from the hardcore truckers, but it does much more that I need it to in my white-collar world. I was able to get down to 11.2 km/L (just over 26mpg - which I think is insane) even with the bed being packed to capacity, the many long steep hills that we had to climb, and the intermittent bursts of speed to pass the transport trucks on the narrower roads (got up to 150km/hr in one instance).

I know the 5.7s get all the attention, but I just wanted to stop by and tip my hat to the pentastar.

I'm happy!

Skeptic

Reaction score

I must say that I was quite pleased with the Ram. The 3.6 may not get much respect from the hardcore truckers, but it does much more that I need it to in my white-collar world. I was able to get down to 11.2 km/L (just over 26mpg - which I think is insane) even with the bed being packed to capacity, the many long steep hills that we had to climb, and the intermittent bursts of speed to pass the transport trucks on the narrower roads (got up to 150km/hr in one instance).

I know the 5.7s get all the attention, but I just wanted to stop by and tip my hat to the pentastar.

I'm happy!
If that's the same 3.6 I have in my Wrangler, it is a great little motor. Loaded down as you were, it's quite an accomplishment to get that kind of mileage.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I'm happy!
Yes the 3.6 is great! I had a 2014 Crew and I was able to tow a 1964 New Yorker home from Vegas. About 900 mile round trip and through the Tehachapi mountain pass and never had an issue maintaining speed. After that trip I was very impressed.

Now I have the HEMI only because I wanted it, I surely don't need it, especially now....

Kaderast

Reaction score
Full on paint correction. 8.5 hours start to finish. Been 3 months since it was built. I know most people say today’s paint cures quickly, but I still like to give it some time. Amazing how many paint flaws you can find when you get up close and personal.

View attachment 133209
What is paint correction?

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What is paint correction?

Wash, decontamination (clay bar, iron remover or other method), polish, buff, etc. Removes scratches and swirls and makes the paint look and feel better than original. Best to do this prior to applying any protective coatings. This entire process makes the paint really pop.

nollocs

Reaction score
I finished washing it for the holiday weekend and found out who the previous owner was from Ram Cares! Now I can call them up and see what type of maintenance they did.

Attachments

• PXL_20220630_004830512.jpg
    PXL_20220630_004830512.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 66

Rebel2022

Reaction score

I'm happy!
You had me there for a second, I was like hey 11.2L 100/km is more like 21mpg not 26. Then I realized you wrote km/L. Nice!

pkman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I'm happy!
Well even when I was living in Canada I always had the tripmeter set for MPG and calculated my mileage in MPG, but that's better mileage than I get in my 2020 Grand Cherokee with the Pentastar V6. I got 26MPG once - all highway and with a tailwind! I assume your Ram is a 4x4?
I love the V6 though. Never missed the Hemi until I tried it in my Ram.

pkman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Back on topic - I bought a pass through socket set to help install my Eibach front struts this weekend

Users who are viewing this thread