5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
...I believe it was closer to 24 for highway rating with the 3.21 gear set. I know there were two different numbers because I searched for the 3.21 gears in a truck after seeing the difference
I politely disagree.

This is the window sticker for my 5.7L truck (no eTorque) with 3.21 rear:

FE.jpg

Same fuel economy numbers.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW, the EPA fuel economy numbers for highway are kind of skewed. I pretty sure it's based off doing like 60mph on a straight and level road. Not sure how they calculate city

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So apparently Those numbers ( 17/22 ) are for the trucks with 3.21 gear, there is no separate epa rating for trucks with the 3.92. I get about the same as you do with 3.92 gears, best I’ve ever seen was 19.8 hand calculated and that was 100% highway driving. The fuel economy the truck shows is also consistently 1mpg higher than actual.
17/22 might be for the V6. Two people have posted window stickers now showing 15/21

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FWIW, the EPA fuel economy numbers for highway are kind of skewed. I pretty sure it's based off doing like 60mph on a straight and level road. Not sure how they calculate city
Actually, the fuel economy is measured under controlled conditions in a laboratory.

EPA1.PNG

Reactions: c3k

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another reason why the EPA is higher on the window sticker is because the EPA uses non-ethanol fuel currently during the test.

That will probably change next year because most Americans do not have easy access to pure gasoline.

Gasoline's blended with Ethanol will lower MPG in most engines. The EPA says Fuel efficiency can decrease by 1.5% to 3%.

"EPA is proposing technical changes to emissions testing protocols and compliance calculations for the Light-duty Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Emissions Standards and Fuel Economy Standards that would provide a smooth transition from using test fuel with zero percent ethanol (E0) to test fuel that contains ten percent ethanol (E10). EPA is switching test fuels since the vast majority of gasoline supplied to consumers in the U.S. is now E10, and EPA’s Tier 3 criteria pollutant emissions standards for light-duty vehicles already use E10 as the test fuel. The purpose of this proposed rule is to ensure that the transition to E10 as a test fuel has no impact on the stringency of the Light-duty GHG Emissions and Fuel Economy Standards. The proposed transition to E10 as a test fuel will allow manufacturers to perform all of their vehicle testing on a single (E10) fuel for compliance with both Tier 3 and GHG Emission and Fuel Economy Standards."

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
17/22 might be for the V6. Two people have posted window stickers now showing 15/21

V8, 3.32. It also depends on what configuration your truck has because the numbers kinda bounce around a lot when you’re looking at different trucks.

I’ll check my window sticker when I get home.

f96942e9d511e4da11a21f4c24bb9650.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ldc2335

Reaction score
Lol, sorry for getting this thread off track- that’s completely my fault.

Got my matte black textured letters in that will look decently similar to my Laramie emblem. I have some other goodies coming in tomorrow also.

View attachment 109995
Where'd you get the textured ones?

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk

broman66

Reaction score
Yes there is. If you look at various window stickers. This is with a 3.92.
e5d999e35fc0466a30e634aaee7fe73b.jpg

I have to find my window sticker. But I believe it was closer to 24 for highway rating with the 3.21 gear set. I know there were two different numbers because I searched for the 3.21 gears in a truck after seeing the difference

Here's my sticker with 3.21 gears. Same 17 average with 15/21 City/Highway.
sticker.png

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Very nice. I debated if I wanted to sticker it, or just plasti dip it. Glad I stickered it. Now I'm trying to figure out if I should do the same for the sides or just remove the lettering all together. On my Charger, I took off most of the lettering, and I like it.
c869aecb0242b828f476e896393b6544.jpg

2021 Ram Rebel
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I was thinking of doing something similar to break up the all black on my truck, it looks Gorgeous!!

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Here's my sticker with 3.21 gears. Same 17 average with 15/21 City/Highway.
View attachment 110024

Idk, when I was truck shopping I specifically wanted a Laramie Sport trim

I was between two trucks at two different dealers, both 100% the same except the two different gear ratios. The 3.23 had a better mileage rating, vs the exact other truck with the 3.92. I went with the 3.23. This is my sticker. Which is damn accurate because I was averaging 21.5mpg over my last 1500 mile trip. Had it if all been highway, stayed below 80 and had mds active I’m sure it would have been 22.

7592179fe6115422738ab492686a967b.jpg

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh boy this might be my fault lol, all I was trying to say is there’s no rating specifically for 3.92 trucks which I found odd. The 15/17/21 is for non-etorque trucks and the 17/19/22 is for etorque ones. in both cases these are 4 wheel drive models. Hell they don’t even adjust for quad vs crew or 5’ 7 and 6’ 4 bed but that’s not a big difference. I always had the impression the epa numbers were submitted by manufacturers and not done by the epa so they’re almost always on the high side. ( Ford got sued by the epa a few years ago because their numbers were off a little to much on the “new” ranger )

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure about anyone else but my personal opinion is that gear ratio matters a little more than wether or not it’s an eTorque when it comes to fuel economy, which is probably why so many of us 3.92 guys get fuel economy much lower than “epa ratings” even with eTorque. With the 3.92 your 8th gear is the same ratio as 7th gear with the 3.21 equipped trucks, makes a big difference, at least by the numbers.

Jeepdinger

Reaction score
I think I played a role here too lol whoops
There are a couple separate threads going over the gear ratio differences for towing and mpg. you can review those if you want the full discussion. lot's of good info in those threads.

the main one that i know of:

WReckeR

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about opening any can of worms. It's interesting enough of a topic for multiple people to reply. Sure, it's not officially "what did you do today" but we DO drive every day, and we do burn gas and achieve mpg values by doing so. So I guess it does apply!

For me, one thing I wanted in finally buying a new truck after 20 years with my Dakota was an improvement in fuel economy. I knew I wasn't going to go from 15 up to 25, but I was happy with 17 or so. Something I could observe as objectively better. I figured the WORST I could do was 17, like the sticker says. I think I'm doing closer to 15. What sucks all the more is that with this new fly by wire pedal, all I get is mushy acceleration unless I completely mash it. My Dakota is a 4.7L with a 5 speed and a true accelerator pedal. I never thought I'd say it, but for the purest act of push pedal and go, shift when ready, the Dakota is still more fun to drive. The Ram is luxurious to ride in, especially now with the colder mornings and the heated seats and steering wheel, the extra room for me and my kids, the nicer sound system, long trips...but JUST driving? I like the 5 speed.

1636052034130.png

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Not sure about anyone else but my personal opinion is that gear ratio matters a little more than wether or not it’s an eTorque when it comes to fuel economy, which is probably why so many of us 3.92 guys get fuel economy much lower than “epa ratings” even with eTorque. With the 3.92 your 8th gear is the same ratio as 7th gear with the 3.21 equipped trucks, makes a big difference, at least by the numbers.
In certain situations, yes. Highway driving at speeds above 70-75 mph is the most obvious example. City driving will be negligible.

There are probably just as many of us 3.92'ers that get as good or better than the EPA estimates. My current tank is 100% city driving and I'm at 17 mpg. I haven't done a trip that was 100% highway or 50/50 city/highway to get an average yet, so I'm not sure if an increase in highway miles will be detrimental to my mpg's.

WReckeR

Reaction score
In certain situations, yes. Highway driving at speeds above 70-75 mph is the most obvious example. City driving will be negligible.

There are probably just as many of us 3.92'ers that get as good or better than the EPA estimates. My current tank is 100% city driving and I'm at 17 mpg. I haven't done a trip that was 100% highway or 50/50 city/highway to get an average yet, so I'm not sure if an increase in highway miles will be detrimental to my mpg's.
Impressive. To say the least.

Users who are viewing this thread