5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

GadgetMason

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gained like +68 hp today
aba92326f7783977a86b61eac5a90d69.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk
Makes all the diff! I’m only getting 60hp improvement though. 😢 96DD9CB1-F08D-4E3A-96AA-441AA67DA28D.jpeg

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I got the same tires about a month ago. Been very happy so far. Really quite and wet grip has been excellent.

I was hoping that in the wet. Steering is much lighter and more responsive too now, seems like these tires are lighter than the Goodyear's

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finally bit the bullet and added tint. After numerous failed attempts to get the dealership to address my A/C problem (3 of those time with TSB in hand) I struck a deal with my wife: I'll stop wasting taking days of of work and spending $100 for "maybe they'll fix it this time" if I can tint the cab.

Through my decision process (which is too long, boring, and OCD for most) I ended up going with 3M Crystalline for all the windows. I was leaning towards ceramic and a true charcoal color but ended up going with guaranteed visual clarity. I'm not a fan of the slight blue tinge when the sun shines directly on the window but I am not disappointed in the clarity, which was my number one necessity. I had to check to make sure they actually tinted the windows.

I went with 50% on the front doors and 70% for the back doors, rear window (all 3 sections), and the windshield:

Tint_Before & After.jpg

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
That little bit of tint most likely won’t do much to lower the cab temps. I have 20% all around and it still bakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That little bit of tint most likely won’t do much to lower the cab temps. I have 20% all around and it still bakes.

I haven't done any ambient temperature comparisons but it has reduced a lot of the heat and made the cab manageable. Had I only done the front windows I don't think it would have made any difference except when the sun was baking me through my window, which is why I did the whole cab (not just the untinted fronts and windshield).

It was not cheap to pay for "some" improvement but with the options I had available it was best one for me. The results were better than I expected so it was well worth it to me. YMMV.

Before Tint:
- Anything over 75F (sunny) or 80F (overcast) and the A/C was completely ineffective even on MAX A/C with max fan speed (#7).
- After the truck sat in the sun all day (e.g. I'm at work) the only way to cool the cab down in less than 20 minutes was to roll the windows down for the first few miles.
- I drive mostly north to get home from work so the afternoon sun is beating on me through my driver's window for most of the commute. I wear long pants, an undershirt, and a button-up/polo for work so every day this summer I would get home with back sweat.

After Tint:
- A/C maintains the cab comfortable on normal A/C with a fan speed of #5 with outside temps 95F and sunny (hottest I've been able to test so far).
- After sitting all day in the sun the cab cools down in about 5 minutes with the windows up and normal A/C on fan speed #7.
- I still feel the sun through my window on the afternoon commute but nowhere near as hot. Along with the comfortable cab I no longer have back sweat when I get home.

I could have gone darker for better results but I wanted to stay as close to OEM darkness as possible, minimize my vision loss at night (I drive a lot in the dark), and minimize my chance of getting pulled over for my tint being too dark. The only reason I initially went 50% on the front windows was so that the windshield didn't look like it was tinted.

BowDown

Reaction score

Thats not correct, the % of sunlight let in doesn't have anything to do with the % of UV light rejected. My windshield has 70% IR film on it but rejects 98% of UV light which is where the heat comes from

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Fixed it for you. ;)
"That's not correct, the % of sunlight let in doesn't have anything to do with the % of UV light reflected. My windshield has 70% IR film on it but reflects 98% of UV light which is where the heat comes from.

BowDown

Reaction score
Fixed it for you. ;)
"That's not correct, the % of sunlight let in doesn't have anything to do with the % of UV light reflected. My windshield has 70% IR film on it but reflects 98% of UV light which is where the heat comes from.

Same thing but Xpel says rejects

Offering 98% infrared heat rejection thanks to multi-layer nanoparticle technology, PRIME XR PLUS automotive window tint combines a cool look with extreme performance. Let PRIME XR PLUS keep you comfortable and protected no matter the weather.
Mine is Prime XRPlus

Rambro1776

Reaction score
Finally finished up my Shifts and Grins light bracket and Diode Dynamics light bar install.

Sorry for the rain in the end, filmed in between tornado warnings. Overall, I’m super happy with this combo.

798f8192cd9af9d023fe37318be05366.jpg

Do you know if this works for the Laramie 1500 with the active air dam?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have no idea. Isn’t the active grill lower than the lower grill or is it in that same area?
I don’t see much of a way that could interfere. The air dam system is much lower than where the light mounting point would be.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Regular, tried ceramic on my last vehicle. No difference. And my tint guy who has done it for years shares the same opinion.

Anywho, dash lights finally came in!
f4680c6e9d27f9f14a4e4b440122c566.jpg

jgreene

Reaction score
Since the block heater cord is way too short and I don't like it out resting on my paint. Got the NOCO cover and ran and extension.

Attachments

• 20211012_153619.jpg
    20211012_153619.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 123
  • 20211012_153301.jpg
    20211012_153301.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 122

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Love that upgrade! Can I ask what it cost? Labor and parts separate? Did you do this through a dealer or what? I see Katzin has so many options but I really like this black with cream interior (or white?) any part numbers?
I looked into this a couple of weeks ago. You can get Katzkin through one of their authorized dealers or through your RAM dealership (and installed at an authorized Katzkin installer). If you want a logo on the leather then I recommend you go through a dealership as they will have more options (licensed logos).

For something similar to what pitboss000 has my dealership quoted me $1294.29 out the door (covers, installation, and tax). The seat covers I got quoted were almost exactly the same. The only difference is that the inserts and stitching were grey instead of tan.

Users who are viewing this thread