5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Grouper

Reaction score
... Get a good quality dash cam (not off Amazon)...

I highly recommend Blackvue if you want a great quality dash cam or the Viofo A129 series.

Blackvue and Viofo A129 are both available on Amazon.

Are you suggesting Amazon is selling knockoffs?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Blackvue and Viofo A129 are both available on Amazon.

Are you suggesting Amazon is selling knockoffs?
Yes...I understand that. I am suggesting to buy them from the links I provided as they will match any price and you get free technical support which Amazon doesn't offer should you require it. My reference is to the "crap" that is listed on Amazon that are $100 or less dash cams. If you bought a $50K truck, or more, invest in a good quality camera and wire it up correctly versus jerryrigging it with adapters and harnesses. Most of the "crap" cameras on Amazon have internal lithium batteries versus a super capacitor that stores energy. You don't want a camera with a battery built into it. You all do what you want...I am only sharing my professional advice and I am not over stating the ease of install on any dash cam by going directly to the fuse panel. I am a HUGE Blackvue fan, but I did try out the Viofo cameras too and they are the best of the best when looking at cameras under $200. I put a Viofo 4K Pro camera in my daughter's SUV. I am impressed, but still not up to par with a Blackvue.

www.blackvue.com
www.viofo.com

obrien

Reaction score
Yes...I understand that. I am suggesting to buy them from the links I provided as they will match any price and you get free technical support which Amazon doesn't offer should you require it. My reference is to the "crap" that is listed on Amazon that are $100 or less dash cams. If you bought a $50K truck, or more, invest in a good quality camera and wire it up correctly versus jerryrigging it with adapters and harnesses. Most of the "crap" cameras on Amazon have internal lithium batteries versus a super capacitor that stores energy. You don't want a camera with a battery built into it. You all do what you want...I am only sharing my professional advice and I am not over stating the ease of install on any dash cam by going directly to the fuse panel. I am a HUGE Blackvue fan, but I did try out the Viofo cameras too and they are the best of the best when looking at cameras under $200. I put a Viofo 4K Pro camera in my daughter's SUV. I am impressed, but still not up to par with a Blackvue.

www.blackvue.com
www.viofo.com
500 usd is too much for me, I don't see that strong need for the dash. But the Viofo for 120 looks more reasonable (V3).

Why do I need two fuse splices? The cameras I installed in past had 1 fuse for 12V, ground and you still needed to convert it into 5V for USB. What am I missing?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
500 usd is too much for me, I don't see that strong need for the dash. But the Viofo for 120 looks more reasonable (V3).

Why do I need two fuse splices? The cameras I installed in past had 1 fuse for 12V, ground and you still needed to convert it into 5V for USB. What am I missing?
If you want PARKING MODE, you need a CONSTANT BATT 12V, an IGNITION 12V and a GROUND. If you don't care about having Parking Mode, than all you need is IGN 12V and Ground. Hope this makes sense to you ;) The 5V cameras (Viofo included) come with a 12V to 5V converter.

Grouper

Reaction score

www.blackvue.com
www.viofo.com

I'm planning to buy a BlackVue. I was just seeking clarification regarding your statement to not buy from Amazon.

Thanks very much.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm planning to buy a BlackVue. I was just seeking clarification regarding your statement to not buy from Amazon.

Thanks very much.
Understood and an excellent question. Sorry for any confusion. I just hate to see people buy crap and then jerryrig the install to make it "easy" :(

obrien

Reaction score
If you want PARKING MODE, you need a CONSTANT BATT 12V, an IGNITION 12V and a GROUND. If you don't care about having Parking Mode, than all you need is IGN 12V and Ground. Hope this makes sense to you ;) The 5V cameras (Viofo included) come with a 12V to 5V converter.
yes does, understood. I never had a fancy one, all mine manage parking mode with internal battery. Which in Texas heat is not the best for sure lol.

BTW for ground you just find a suiting screw on the body right? nothing fancy

RickWaz

Reaction score
Another option, if you just "hate" using the ginormous 8.4/12.3 Uconnect Nav Systems, try a Garmin DriveAssist 51LMT-S GPS, w/ a built-in Dash Cam! ;)

• Advanced Navigation System with Built-in Dash Cam
  • 5" WQVGA Touchscreen
  • Bluetooth Enabled
  • Preloaded Street Maps with Latest Updates
  • Built-in Dash Cam
  • Includes Live Services Like:
    - Live Traffic, Live Parking, Live Weather
    & Live Track -via Smartphone Link App

• Speaks Street Names
  • Battery : Up to 30 Minutes Per Charge
  • Voice-Activated Navigation
  • Preloaded Maps
    - North America
  • Lane Assist with Junction View
  • Smartphone Link Compatible
  • Speed Limit Indicator
  • Route Avoidance
  • Built-in Wi-Fi For Easy Map & Software Updates
  • TripAdvisor® Ratings for Travel POI's
  • Garmin Real Directions™ For Landmark Guidance
  • Driver Alerts
  • Custom POI's
That Garmin GPS has been great for nav'ing AND recording near-misses w/ Black Bear and White-tailed Deer when I my Ranger XP® 1000 EPS Northstar HVAC Edition, OTG'ing.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
That Garmin GPS has been great for nav'ing AND recording near-misses w/ Black Bear and White-tailed Deer when I my Ranger XP® 1000 EPS Northstar HVAC Edition, OTG'ing.

Now THIS ^^^ is what I want...that's a sweet ride Rick!

RickWaz

Reaction score
THANKS, @securityguy! My wife and I are a bit too old and/or too civilized (???) for an open-air ATV. Thus, we opted for a few creature comforts.

And I should subscribe to a similar website as this one, because I've installed a few upgrades to this loaded Polaris ATV, much like my Ram Limited ...

- Turn signal kit,
- Backup camera,
- 1,800 lumen backup light,
- 10,500 lumen, 30" light bar,
- 9,600 lumen, 24" amber light bar,
- add'l skid plates & Arm-A guards,
- window tints,
- "bed-liner",
- Tie-down anchor kit,
- 5' LED Lighted Whip Antennas, and
- Real-tree/Carhart seat covers.

1610041975845.png

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Scheduled service (not until 21 Jan) for P0441!
P0441 will be seen when the ECU has detected incorrect purge flow in the Evaporative (EVAP) emission control system. When the purge flow is determined to be faulty, a Check Engine Light is set and illuminated on the dashboard. The ECM uses a vacuum switch to detect the purge flow from the EVAP canister.

Code P0441 does not pose any serious danger to the driver or the vehicle and there are no drivability issues that may occur. However as the case with all Check Engine Light codes, it should be fixed as soon as possible to prevent any further damage to your vehicle.

shrubs2000

Reaction score
P0441 will be seen when the ECU has detected incorrect purge flow in the Evaporative (EVAP) emission control system. When the purge flow is determined to be faulty, a Check Engine Light is set and illuminated on the dashboard. The ECM uses a vacuum switch to detect the purge flow from the EVAP canister.

Code P0441 does not pose any serious danger to the driver or the vehicle and there are no drivability issues that may occur. However as the case with all Check Engine Light codes, it should be fixed as soon as possible to prevent any further damage to your vehicle.
Thanx - I looked that up, I'm just anal retentive on stuff like this as I don't like the light on my dash. :>)

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
yes does, understood. I never had a fancy one, all mine manage parking mode with internal battery. Which in Texas heat is not the best for sure lol.

BTW for ground you just find a suiting screw on the body right? nothing fancy
When you remove the plastic piece right below the steering column to get access to the fuse panel, there is a screw right there where you can get an excellent ground.

It is in the top left area of where the plastic panel attaches...you can't miss it!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread