5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

obrien

Reaction score
I just got it installed today so no leaks yet. The shop said if it leaks to take it back though and they will fix it. I’m taking it up to the snow in a couple weeks so we will see how that works out. Haha
I am not fan of the bulkhead gasket. It is a foam so it does get soaked and then it leaks at least for me. I put another seal - marine grade rubberi
seal- in front of it and that helps but it is not 100%, persistent rain does get eventually through. Than I have a leak by tailgate but there are literally holes between tailgate and the bed so no surprise.

Let me know I did it myself if yours won't leak at all I will reevaluate my install

GeePee77

Reaction score
Late post... installed a Roav S1 Dashcam this past Sunday. Opted to place it on the windshield; tucked just under the rear view mirror mount. (My other option was to secure it directly on the flat portion of the rear view mirror mount itself.) Satisfied with its placement.
79F8F29A-A894-4C7A-984A-3A8F6A29D6EC.jpeg

C091FBDC-5379-4BC4-B7C4-12352C35F99C.jpeg

Last edited:

obrien

Reaction score
View attachment 78830 Late post... installed a Roav S1 Dashcam this past Sunday. Opted to place it on the windshield; tucked just under the rear view mirror mount. (My other option was to secure it directly on the flat portion of the rear view mirror mount itself.) Satisfied with its

How did you route the cable? I am thinking about using the 12V on the top of the dash and let the cam sit low there

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
How did you route the cable? I am thinking about using the 12V on the top of the dash and let the cam sit low there
Don't do that! Check the forum...a lot of info on dash cam mounting and wiring. I have done it twice in these trucks and super easy. Happy to help you if you want to PM me and talk via phone. Get a good quality dash cam (not off Amazon), two micro fuse taps and you're good to go!

www.thedashcamstore.com
www.blackboxmycar.com

I highly recommend Blackvue if you want a great quality dash cam or the Viofo A129 series.

obrien

Reaction score
Don't do that! Check the forum...a lot of info on dash cam mounting and wiring. I have done it twice in these trucks and super easy. Happy to help you if you want to PM me and talk via phone. Get a good quality dash cam (not off Amazon), two micro fuse taps and you're good to go!

www.thedashcamstore.com
www.blackboxmycar.com

I highly recommend Blackvue if you want a great quality dash cam or the Viofo A129 series.
Ok I will check the forum, in previous cars I did that - put it into fuse taps into box and then hide the wire behind the interiors but that was a pain the the butt. When I saw the 12V in top of the dash I was happy that I can use it without any wiring work.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ok I will check the forum, in previous cars I did that - put it into fuse taps into box and then hide the wire behind the interiors but that was a pain the the butt. When I saw the 12V in top of the dash I was happy that I can use it without any wiring work.
Understood, but routing wires and hooking up to the fuse box in the RAM is childs play...super easy and fast. Had my dash cam mounted, wires run and connected in about 30 -40 minutes. Looks super professional like a factory install.

RamCam5.jpg

Ram Man 727

Reaction score
I mounted my Rove in the same location. Ran the wire along the top of the windshield, tucking it under the headliner to the drivers side A pillar. Popped the A pillar trim off (2 bolts) and continued running the wire to under dash. Used an Add a Fuse on my fuse box ( if i remember correctly #66).
Super easy.. took me about 15 min.

obrien

Reaction score
I mounted my Rove in the same location. Ran the wire along the top of the windshield, tucking it under the headliner to the drivers side A pillar. Popped the A pillar trim off (2 bolts) and continued running the wire to under dash. Used an Add a Fuse on my fuse box ( if i remember correctly #66).
Super easy.. took me about 15 min.
Ok I will look into it lol.. i wanted to have it easy :-D

GeePee77

Reaction score
I ran/tucked the cable between the headliner and windshield; between the A-pillar and windshield; and between the dashboard and windshield. From the center base of the windshield, the cable runs up directly to the 12v socket (no way to hide it coming from there). I will be mounting a Bulletproof/Bulletpoint Dual 20mm Ball Dash Mount adjacent to the 12v socket in the near future; it will will keep the cable running from the windshield out of view.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you use this do you still need to fuse tap? How does this change the installation?
It plugs into the power supply for the rear view mirror so all you have to do is plug it in and plug the usb from the dash cam into it. All hides neatly in the shroud on the windshield. No need for a fuse tap.

RRRAAAAMMMM2020

Reaction score
It plugs into the power supply for the rear view mirror so all you have to do is plug it in and plug the usb from the dash cam into it. All hides neatly in the shroud on the windshield. No need for a fuse tap.
That sounds very interesting indeed and like a quality option. Thanks for the follow-up

GOFORBROKE

Reaction score
I am not fan of the bulkhead gasket. It is a foam so it does get soaked and then it leaks at least for me. I put another seal - marine grade rubberi
seal- in front of it and that helps but it is not 100%, persistent rain does get eventually through. Than I have a leak by tailgate but there are literally holes between tailgate and the bed so no surprise.

Let me know I did it myself if yours won't leak at all I will reevaluate my install
I’m hoping for no issues. I’ll let you know how it works out for me

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Or you can grab one of these and make it even easier. SimpleUSBPort Dash Cam Power Adapter (10-pin Type D) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08B91BT9Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_KtO9FbRGCWJW4
And if you do use this converter, which I do not recommend as it one more piece of electronics that can go bad AND it is an adapter that converts 12V to 5V and MOST web cams require 12V and will NOT operate on 5V (some of the cheapie Amazon cams do use 5V). You all need to fully understand what you are dealing with here. You also won't have a USB-A connector on the end of your dash cam cable either and will need ANOTHER adapter. In addition, if you go this route you will, most likely, lose the ability to initiate PARKING MODE as the power will shut off when the truck turns off rendering your dash cam DEAD! Before you jump into something that looks like the end-all-be-all, please understand it better. It is SOOOO easy to run the wire and use two micro fuse taps that no one should be afraid to do this. Again, the adapter mentioned is NOT what you want, but you all do as you wish. I have been installing electronics into cars since 1978 so I do know what I am talking about and I have helped several members on this forum with their installations ;)

RickWaz

Reaction score

www.thedashcamstore.com
www.blackboxmycar.com

OR a Nextbase 622GW! https://www.nextbase.com/en-us/dash-cams/622gw-dash-cam/ Another terrific Dash Cam!

Users who are viewing this thread