5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

Chopperbobby

Reaction score
did my 1st oil change. 3rd on the truck. Failed miserably at the gallon bag oil filter thing. What a mess. I am guessing i did something wrong. The Jeep was a much easer change. I am a rather hefty guy I had to put on ramps to get all the way under.

WReckeR

Reaction score
Installed 3 piece LED bed lights. Hooked them to factory in bed lights.
Two questions!

1. Where did you attach the LED lights? To the bed wall, or underneath the tie down rail? And if to the bed wall, how did the spray liner texture affect adhesion?

2. Can you describe how you connected them to the factory bed lights?

WReckeR

Reaction score
did my 1st oil change. 3rd on the truck. Failed miserably at the gallon bag oil filter thing. What a mess. I am guessing i did something wrong. The Jeep was a much easer change. I am a rather hefty guy I had to put on ramps to get all the way under.
Same, on the mess. There's still so much oil in the system above the filter even after a seemingly full drain. Once the filter is off the fitting, it drops everywhere. I may try draping a towel or plastic sheet over the axle there, and just let it run down.

While the mess is disappointing, I'm inclined to think an oil change shop wouldn't bother to clean it up very well. So at least we're under there keeping things tidy afterward.

U

User_63152

That sucks. I have 3 free oils changes from any Mopar dealership, thank goodness. For me, that will be 3 years, as little as I drive.

Duran

Reaction score
Finally got around to getting the aux reverse lights installed. Used the Curt adapter method. Worked like a charm. Waiting til dark to see how they shine, may have to tweak as necessary. Follow up night pictures later!

Edit: Night time pics!!
Awesome. So many questions. What lights did you go with and bracket. And of course how did you wire them . They look great

U

User_63152

Same, on the mess. There's still so much oil in the system above the filter even after a seemingly full drain. Once the filter is off the fitting, it drops everywhere. I may try draping a towel or plastic sheet over the axle there, and just let it run down.

While the mess is disappointing, I'm inclined to think an oil change shop wouldn't bother to clean it up very well. So at least we're under there keeping things tidy afterward.
From the Mopar engineer's point if view, everything looks good on paper. They don't have to change the oil. That has always irritated me about these newer vehicles.

I used to work at an oil change place like 25 years ago. I wouldn't want to do that now.

Now, my 1971 Malibu 350 I used to have, easy peasy. 15 minutes, tops. No mess.

Duran

Reaction score
Pulled the damn GPS tracker installed by the dealer! That thing has been sitting in there for over a year and I didn't even know it. Too bad it's not one of the cellular versions or I'd have myself some free hotspot internet!!!
Where was it located

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My first time out wasn't that great either but I have gotten a lot better each time wish the same for you.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sometimes that ziplock bag trick works great. Other times the oil makes the bag too slick to continue turning the filter then the oil eventually ends up all over the place. I have considered poking a hole in the oil filter, catching the oil in a ziplock and then removing the filter once its all drained.

Last edited:

JbVt

Reaction score
Awesome. So many questions. What lights did you go with and bracket. And of course how did you wire them . They look great
I got some cheap 4" LED lights off amazon, nilight is the brand. They come with brackets for the lights. To attach them to the truck I followed another member on here and used 3" exhaust clamps around the hitch tube. I left one side of the exhaust clamp threaded stud long so I could slide the light bracket on that. To wire it I used the Curt 56584 adapter with the 5 pin flat. The 5 pin connector has a blue wire that is the reverse light wire on 7 pin trailer plug. I then cut and sealed the 3 wires I didn't need from the 5 pin and wired the positive wire from the lights to the blue wire and the negative from the lights to the white wire on the 5 pin. This way when I shift into reverse it triggers the lights to turn on. I didn't have to splice into any factory wires and still have full use of my factory 7 & 4 pin trailer plugs.

Otisporkchop

Reaction score
Sometimes that ziplock bag trick works great. Other times the oil makes the bag to slick to continue turning the filter then the oil eventually ends up all over the place. I have considered poking a hole in the oil filter, catching the oil in a ziplock and then removing the filter once its all drained.
I did the oil change with the ziplock bag, I put a punch in the bottom of the oil filter and pulled it out after the bag was on and let the punch fall into the bag. Once filter drained I put the second bag on and removed the filter I had very little spillage.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did the oil change with the ziplock bag, I put a punch in the bottom of the oil filter and pulled it out after the bag was on and let the punch fall into the bag. Once filter drained I put the second bag on and removed the filter I had very little spillage.
I think this is the way to go. Just get all of the oil out of the filter that you can prior to unscrewing it. Ill have to go that route next time.

Chopperbobby

Reaction score
Z0N3 hit it I think, The bag started to get so slick i could not turn the filter. The oil was super hot. When I did get it off it slipped. Hands and arm, shirt and tarp all full of oil by this time. The filter fell back wards and down. I could not get it out that way. So, Had to contort the hand some to pick and back up and pull out toward the front of the truck. What a joy. By far the worst DIY oil change on a vehicle. But it should get better with time.

Jeeper

Reaction score
Can you tell me more about that?
there was a tsb or recall for the tailgate cables...notice how one is not under tension with the gate dropped? They will replace the cable.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

U

User_63152

New wheels! KMC Dirty Harry. SICK! Look at all that rotor. :LOL:

I like how the textured black closely matches my side steps. Bonus. (y)

*Update*

I had to switch around all 4 center caps so they would match and line up. OCD. I also put a bit of blue thread locker on the bolts that hold the caps on. Some were loose. I wasn't really aware that they were this style, but, it is what it is. I just hope I don't lose any of those machine screws. You can see from the first picture that the caps aren't lined up with the KMC logo on the lip. I know, I just can't help it.

Here's how bad I am. I actually asked them to line up the "e" in Pirelli with the valve stem on all four tires. And they did it! :p

Attachments

• 20210517_114810.jpg
    20210517_114810.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 197
  • 20210517_132658.jpg
    20210517_132658.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 169
  • 20210517_114759.jpg
    20210517_114759.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 169
Last edited by a moderator:

X-Wrestler

Reaction score
Two questions!

1. Where did you attach the LED lights? To the bed wall, or underneath the tie down rail? And if to the bed wall, how did the spray liner texture affect adhesion?

2. Can you describe how you connected them to the factory bed lights?
I attached them just under the rail on the bed liner. An audio installer once told me to clean the area your going to attach it to with alcohol and then hit it with a heat gun or hairdryer just enough to warm up the glue. It's worked like a charm for my last 3 trucks. Works great with decals on dirt bike too.

Remove the 2 screws from the bed light. Gently pull the lighting housing out. In the protective sleeve there only 2 wires, red and black. Connect to the red and black lines from your kit. Waterproof your connections, drop the line down the stock lighting housing hole, push the housing back in, re-install your 2 screws. All done.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Do you happen to have the part number for that. Looks like a more permanent solution than just clamping the hose.
Amazon, kinda blew my mind a little.... Another forum user originally posted the link so I can't take full credit. It can be done for less money, but this was the easy way. It's all funny money now anyways

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Amazon, kinda blew my mind a little.... Another forum user originally posted the link so I can't take full credit. It can be done for less money, but this was the easy way. It's all funny money now anyways

Everyone is an entrepreneur. That is kind of funny to see someone call it a "kit" but for those not wanting to spend the time making their own it should work just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread