5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

antwon412

Reaction score
A lot of people who don’t live in California seem to have very strong opinions about this place and speak authoritatively about it.

A catch can will not make you fail your smog test. I’ve had them on a couple trucks and cars. Never been an issue.

On my Challenger I also had a Mopar K&N air filter set up that came with the car. They gave it a quick look to make sure it had the approval sticker and that was it.

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
43b8dd1a187a6289536c6b82dd7d541d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gitter

Reaction score
Installed WeatherTech mud flaps in 18 degree weather today. Thank goodness it was a quick install.

I never cared for the rooster look on the side of my truck, plus I wanted to also protect the TT a bit from rocks when I tow. But the big reason was that I couldn't take the constant mud, slush, and ice getting onto the front half of my power running boards. It gets up there from the spray from the front tires. It wasn't an issue with my fixed steps ony old trucks. Lol. Hopefully this will help lessen the crud that gets on the steps.

20210207_135223.jpg
20210207_124713.jpg
20210207_124725.jpg
20210207_124717.jpg
20210207_124759.jpg

Anyways, I can confirm that there is no rub with 34" tires and these mudflaps at full lock.
20210207_124817.jpg
Below isn't full wheel lock, but it's the closest it gets to the mud flaps (maybe 3/4th inch of space):
20210207_124857.jpg

And yes, I did clean the areas where the mudflaps were being installed. Had to use a towel soaked in hot water just to keep it from freezing before I could finish. Lol

Techna

Reaction score
Installed WeatherTech mud flaps in 18 degree weather today. Thank goodness it was a quick install.

I never cared for the rooster look on the side of my truck, plus I wanted to also protect the TT a bit from rocks when I tow. But the big reason was that I couldn't take the constant mud, slush, and ice getting onto the front half of my power running boards. It gets up there from the spray from the front tires. It wasn't an issue with my fixed steps ony old trucks. Lol. Hopefully this will help lessen the crud that gets on the steps.

View attachment 82063
View attachment 82064
View attachment 82065
View attachment 82066
View attachment 82067

Anyways, I can confirm that there is no rub with 34" tires and these mudflaps at full lock.
View attachment 82068
Below isn't full wheel lock, but it's the closest it gets to the mud flaps (maybe 3/4th inch of space):
View attachment 82069

And yes, I did clean the areas where the mudflaps were being installed. Had to use a towel soaked in hot water just to keep it from freezing before I could finish. Lol
Your member profile display suggests that you’re moving to Texas. Depending on where in Texas, that would kill the issue with ice and slush buildup on the front of the running boards even without the mud flaps. Don’t throw away your ice scraper though. You’ll need that for getting your tires unstuck from the pavement if your Limited sits in one spot for too long on a sunny August day.

Gitter

Reaction score
Your member profile display suggests that you’re moving to Texas. Depending on where in Texas, that would kill the issue with ice and slush buildup on the front of the running boards even without the mud flaps. Don’t throw away your ice scraper though. You’ll need that for getting your tires unstuck from the pavement if your Limited sits in one spot for too long on a sunny August day.

I thought about not needing the mud flaps in TX, but since we travel with our trailer (regardless of weather), I'd rather have a little more protection from rocks and such.

😆 Not looking forward to that heat tho.

So, can I assume that you did not install the PPF that came with them to protect the paint around where the mud guards touch?

Lol, nope. No way I could have in that cold. I plan to put it on in a couple weeks once it gets above freezing and I can give the truck a proper wash. Luckily it's super easy to uninstall/install the mud flaps.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Lol, nope. No way I could have in that cold. I plan to put it on in a couple weeks once it gets above freezing and I can give the truck a proper wash. Luckily it's super easy to uninstall/install the mud flaps.
Sounds good and understand. That's what I thought based on the cold temps. Just wanted to ensure you knew that it's best to put those on to protect the paint just in case ;)

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A lot of people who don’t live in California seem to have very strong opinions about this place and speak authoritatively about it.

A catch can will not make you fail your smog test. I’ve had them on a couple trucks and cars. Never been an issue.

On my Challenger I also had a Mopar K&N air filter set up that came with the car. They gave it a quick look to make sure it had the approval sticker and that was it.
The catch can is a modification to the emissions system and will definitely fail you on a visual inspection.

Your shop is gracious and risks getting in trouble if they find out they are giving passes for that type of stuff.

The only way it truly passes is if it has a California Air Resources Board Executive Order (CARB E.O.) number on the paperwork or stamped directly on the part. If it's not in this database (https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery.php) then it's not approved.

The visual inspection is a judgement call by the tech. If they choose to be lenient (like your shop) they run the risk of being caught not enforcing the rules. If that happens it hurts their rating with the state. If their rating falls too much they lose their license (including the tech).

I had a favorable shop but over the last 5 years they've really tightened up. I walked the razor's edge with my last truck (Ford diesel) and dealt with a couple of failures as what passed the previous time did not pass the next one. I do not need the additional time, cost, and headache with this truck too.

I love my truck and am planning on keeping it for some time but do not want to deal with the worry/hassle of "will it pass" or swapping parts every 2 years for the test to swap them back. It starts with the catch can and then snowballs into a laundry list that will take me a week to swap. If I was 20 years younger I would do it but I'm too old to deal with that sh..

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here in NH, the Emissions is only checked through the OBDII port. If you have
any CEL it will Fail. Otherwise it is just a safety inspection.

Malodave

Gitter

Reaction score
How do you like your Cooper tires? Any road noise?

I have ~2,600 miles on them now and I have been very impressed with them. I expected a little more road noise over the OEM Deulers, but so far, they have been just a quiet!

They firmed up the handling, especially when towing (as expected with 10ply tires), and traction increased as well. Of course, going with bigger and stiffer tires resulted in ~1.5 MPG hit...but it's worth it:

20210207_135247.jpg

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Reaction score
Love those wheels. Those might be at the top of my list but in solid black. Nice choice!
Thanks, z0n3, I wanted to go all back but multiple places said there was a two-week delay to get them. In the end, I'm happy I went with the blade cut so I don't have to black out my badges anymore.

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread