5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

antwon412

Reaction score
The catch can is a modification to the emissions system and will definitely fail you on a visual inspection.

Your shop is gracious and risks getting in trouble if they find out they are giving passes for that type of stuff.

The only way it truly passes is if it has a California Air Resources Board Executive Order (CARB E.O.) number on the paperwork or stamped directly on the part. If it's not in this database (https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery.php) then it's not approved.

The visual inspection is a judgement call by the tech. If they choose to be lenient (like your shop) they run the risk of being caught not enforcing the rules. If that happens it hurts their rating with the state. If their rating falls too much they lose their license (including the tech).

I had a favorable shop but over the last 5 years they've really tightened up. I walked the razor's edge with my last truck (Ford diesel) and dealt with a couple of failures as what passed the previous time did not pass the next one. I do not need the additional time, cost, and headache with this truck too.

I love my truck and am planning on keeping it for some time but do not want to deal with the worry/hassle of "will it pass" or swapping parts every 2 years for the test to swap them back. It starts with the catch can and then snowballs into a laundry list that will take me a week to swap. If I was 20 years younger I would do it but I'm too old to deal with that sh..
Strange. Multiple vehicles at different smog stations in both the Bay Area and here now above Sacramento. Never an issues.

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bought this to use with my reader and AlphaOBD on my 2019 5th Gen.
The fun will soon begin!
CB318B42-257E-485B-B6EF-07FE24839372.png

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Strange. Multiple vehicles at different smog stations in both the Bay Area and here now above Sacramento. Never an issues.
Each area is different.

Plus they get regular training so what they know now is not what they'll know in 2 years. I learned that the hard way on my last truck even though my shop said the part was okay before I bought it.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Installed the Limited cup holder/slider in my Laramie. Clean looking and has a more finished look overall IMO. Easy install, only took 20 min.

Floor console bin 6LY66TX7AA $26 (OEM Parts)
Console cup holder 5YE132X7AD $235 (eBay)

PXL_20210209_183344087.jpg
PXL_20210209_183355760.jpg

Last edited:

abtennyson

Reaction score
Today I created an Instagram for my truck, yea yea I know this can be very cheesy, but I know I LOVE to see other trucks, so there’s gotta be other people that do too!
Give it a follow @teal_billet 😊

K_Hub

Reaction score
Bilstien 5100s installed all the way around on the Laramie. Then replaced painted 18” wheels with Rebel wheels after finding a set on here from another 5th gener. Changes the whole look of the truck! I’ll replace Goodyear’s with wildpeaks when these are done. Can’t justify tossing tires with good tread on them.

ec05fe457a6e1a9bb19ba6a097a2c454.jpg

2d1040dedf36394b57a83d79c8a98a5b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Bilstien 5100s installed all the way around on the Laramie. Then replaced painted 18” wheels with Rebel wheels after finding a set on here from another 5th gener. Changes the whole look of the truck! I’ll replace Goodyear’s with wildpeaks when these are done. Can’t justify tossing tires with good tread on them.
Just sell the POS Goodyear tires like most of us have done and take the money to buy what you want. The Goodyear tires that are OEM on these trucks are terrible!

‘19ramlveryeha

Reaction score
A lot of people who don’t live in California seem to have very strong opinions about this place and speak authoritatively about it.

A catch can will not make you fail your smog test. I’ve had them on a couple trucks and cars. Never been an issue.

On my Challenger I also had a Mopar K&N air filter set up that came with the car. They gave it a quick look to make sure it had the approval sticker and that was it.

Exactly.

K_Hub

Reaction score
Just sell the POS Goodyear tires like most of us have done and take the money to buy what you want. The Goodyear tires that are OEM on these trucks are terrible!

We run our tires until they’re done before replacing them. Already have 15,000 on these I’m guessing only another 15,000 until I replace with the wildpeaks.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Installed the Limited cup holder/slider in my Laramie. Clean looking and has a more finished look overall IMO. Easy install, only took 20 min.

Floor console bin 6LY66TX7AA $26 (OEM Parts)
Console cup holder 5YE132X7AD $235 (eBay)

View attachment 82223
View attachment 82224
Does that take up any more space in your center console than the stock one did? I.e. deeper or longer?

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does that take up any more space in your center console than the stock one did? I.e. deeper or longer?
Hmmm "deeper and longer" where have I heard those two words before 🤔🤔.... Oh ya from my wife 😂. I digress..... but yes you lose about 1.5" of storage space underneath but it is the same length.

Last edited:

Chopperbobby

Reaction score
Hmmm "deeper and longer" where have I heard those two words before 🤔🤔.... Oh ya my wife 😂. I digress..... but yes you lose about 1.5" of storage space underneath but it is the same length.
So I am assuming a tuffy safe will not fit under it. Not much clearance with stock onw

Users who are viewing this thread