5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

Crawpapa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Exactly. He's in Virginia and worried about his pipes freezing. 🙄

Yep, I do worry about that. As living in a neighborhood that was quickly put up by Centex builders, they did bare minimum, which includes uninsulated outside bibs. Some people have not turned off theirs before, and ended up with cracked pipes and flooded basements. Must be nice if you don’t have to worry about something like that.

tabber02

Reaction score
Yep, I do worry about that. As living in a neighborhood that was quickly put up by Centex builders, they did bare minimum, which includes uninsulated outside bibs. Some people have not turned off theirs before, and ended up with cracked pipes and flooded basements. Must be nice if you don’t have to worry about something like that.
we had a long conversation about doing it down here in florida earlier in the month. we had 10 or so hours each day below freezing for about a week. was worried one of our pipes were going to freeze and crack.

Crawpapa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
we had a long conversation about doing it down here in florida earlier in the month. we had 10 or so hours each day below freezing for about a week. was worried one of our pipes were going to freeze and crack.
Well I would recommend it, especially since it’s so easy to prevent issues.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I know what you mean. The previous house I lived in didn't have freezeless faucets. I put these on the faucets instead of shutting them off.

Screenshot_20230129_173618_Chrome.jpg

familywagon

Reaction score
You’re not alone on here. I’m planning on auctioning my custom Jeep soon to make funds for the Integra Type S when it’s released around summertime. Even the A-spec with Tech is an amazing vehicle.
Nice! My nicest JDM vehicles were a 12 STI, 02 RSX-S that I turbo‘d, 02 S2000 that had ITB’s and eventually ended up boosting it with a big 67/76 precision turbo. Also had a full Mugen GE8 Fit on TE37s as a daily.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Install the skeerdy cat catalytic converter anti theft skid plate. I think it will do the job,

Not bad especially for the price. I might wait a little longer and see if [mention]Shifts And Grins Fab [/mention]is going to come up with his own and even better if the skid plate doesn’t need to be modified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Correct, but the alteration was minor. And that 1st factory skid plate up front helps to make more secure IMO
I would probably would have done it differently. I'm interested in doing it, but might wait to see if they will tweak the design to work with factory skid plates

HemiDude

Reaction score
I never shut off the hose bibs. I have Woodford freezeless wall faucets. We already had one day get down to -12° and no frozen pipes.
What can you tell us about the Woodford faucets you mentioned? I’ve only had one pipe burst in 20 years, but it was one too many, so I shut the water off to my exterior faucets every year before the first freeze.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Spent a good chunk of the weekend adding passive entry to my rear doors. I have the rear passenger side complete and operational. The rear driver side is like 95% complete. Ran into a snag with wiring placement. There are several different wires that match the description of the wires I'm supposed to tap into, and I'd rather not play the guess and check game if I can avoid it. Hoping Jimmy07 can guide me in the right direction for the small portion remaining on this project.
544807F7-F8B1-4E41-B0CE-E84F9EDB782C.jpeg

During my downtime on the passive entry project, I decided to tackle a little DIY idea that I've had on the back-burner for awhile now. I bought a roll of EVA marine foam that is typically used on boat decks. I trimmed it down to size, and applied it to my AMP steps with the adhesive backing. I stole the idea from those companies that make custom foam mats for AMP steps. I wanted a clean, simple look and I think the pattern I chose offers that. I'm hopeful that this holds up long term, but will see with time. It was relatively cheap but the product has decent reviews. If made for a boating environment, I would think that it would hold up okay on the steps. If it doesn't, I'll probably end up redoing it with something a little higher end, but I think it looks great for now.
85EB453C-9416-430A-AA5A-B6C8FB26C7CD.jpeg

Last edited:

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I moved to AZ from IL, I thought it was crazy that the piping is run through the attic instead of under slab. The upside is it's way easier to repair anything while the downside is you don't have cold water in the summer.

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
HOSE BIB 101
I know it’s not what I did to my Ram today, but you’d be using your Ram to go get parts!

Being in the insurance restoration industry, I have probably repaired 100’s of basement developments that were flooded due to hose bib failures.

Woodford Hose Bibs are designed like any ”Frost-Free” hose bib to give you the advantage of shutting the water off within the warm side of the home. The “gate” or “shut-off valve” is at the rear of the hose bib and if installed properly, allows the shaft of the hose bib to drain and not freeze.
They are widely used in cold climates and work fantastic as long as….
1 - They are installed with the proper required slope to the front shut off. If they lean back, it will trap water at the gate and that water will freeze, expand and crack the shaft within the warm side of the residence. It won’t leak till you open the valve during first use in spring. When you water your grass, you’ll be watering your basement!
2 - It’s important to remove your garden hose at the first report of frost or freezing temperatures. If you leave it connected, you negate the advantage of the hose bib and will allow the water to freeze up and back into the hose bib and crack.
B612C5D3-D68B-4176-B2FE-22A5E9DDE058.jpeg
B4A461F4-B055-469F-822C-0CA701329757.jpeg
38B95B6F-CC14-4EEB-9E46-9BAAD7AD4F73.jpeg

Last edited:

HemiDude

Reaction score
HOSE BIB 101
I know it’s not what I did to my Ram today, but you’d be using your Ram to go get parts!

Being in the insurance restoration industry, I have probably repaired 100’s of basement developments that were flooded due to hose bib failures.

Woodford Hose Bibs are designed like any ”Frost-Free” hose bib to give you the advantage of shutting the water off within the warm side of the home. The “gate” or “shut-off valve” is at the rear of the hose bib and if installed properly, allows the shaft of the hose bib to drain and not freeze.
They are widely used in cold climates and work fantastic as long as….
1 - They are installed with the proper required slope to the front shut off. If they lean back, it will trap water at the gate and that water will freeze, expand and crack the shaft within the warm side of the residence. It won’t leak till you open the valve during first use in spring. When you water your grass, you’ll be watering your basement!
2 - It’s important to remove your garden hose at the first report of frost or freezing temperatures. If you leave it connected, you negate the advantage of the hose bib and will allow the water to freeze up and back into the hose bib and crack.
View attachment 150259
View attachment 150260
View attachment 150262
Hmmm, if the only thing special about those is a shutoff valve in the piping before the spicket I guess I already have that covered. Thanks for the explanation.

broman66

Reaction score
I play hockey six months out of the year and coach both my kids teams, ski when I can, try to get out in the woods and enjoy the snow, but I still hate it. I'm turning into all my dad's old friends complaining about it. I guess I just need to get super into snow blowers like you guys ha. :LOL:
View attachment 149822
What tires do you have on your truck? Do you like how they handle the snow? I'm pretty close to needing tires but want something that can handle traction in the snow.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Hmmm, if the only thing special about those is a shutoff valve in the piping before the spicket I guess I already have that covered. Thanks for the explanation.

If I didn't have the Woodford faucets, I would need to crawl under my house before every winter and shut off the water to the bibs and then again to turn them on in the spring. With them, I can use my outdoor faucets all winter long. If you have a basement, it's easier to access the shut off valves, but you do run the risk of forgetting to turn them off again if you use your outdoor faucets in the winter.

HemiDude

Reaction score
If I didn't have the Woodford faucets, I would need to crawl under my house before every winter and shut off the water to the bibs and then again to turn them on in the spring. With them, I can use my outdoor faucets all winter long. If you have a basement, it's easier to access the shut off valves, but you do run the risk of forgetting to turn them off again if you use your outdoor faucets in the winter.
Makes sense. I do have a basement, so I guess I don't have the same challenges you face.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use my outdoor faucets occasionally in the winter and never had issues, The only thing I do in winter is make sure to disconnect the hoses.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone ever had the simulated plastic vent pieces painted to match the truck? I have a white Laramie with it and think it would look pretty slick.

I did see and correspond with someone on here who had a black truck and painted them to match but I would still like to see them and other color trucks painted to match for sure!

Users who are viewing this thread