5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's fairly low mpg's considering I have a very similar set up. The difference must be in your tires. I'm guessing you have LT tires that weigh close to 70lbs each??
My tires are 56lb each (from the Toyo site). Ups had a total weight of 83lbs for each tire/wheel. I am now completely ignoring the mpg estimator (says 14’s) and relying on pen and paper. The last tank through pen and paper was 16.1 and I REALLY babied it during that tank. I think if I don’t just stop worrying about it and accept it, I’ll drive myself nuts.

Sort of related, has anyone seen where a taller tire will show the correct speed limit within 1 mph, but the mpg estimates are way off? I’m wondering if I should do a speedo correction or not.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Back in high school, did the same to a 80 Honda Prelude with a Weber carb. My sisters would get pissed cuz I kept stealing their stockings! Mom grounded me because of all the money they were spending on them. Seemed just easier to put the air filter back, but damn that car sounded cool!😝🤦🏻‍♂️ Back then, 15 HP, tops!!!!
Lol, I did it also when I was broke as a joke.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My tires are 56lb each (from the Toyo site). Ups had a total weight of 83lbs for each tire/wheel. I am now completely ignoring the mpg estimator (says 14’s) and relying on pen and paper. The last tank through pen and paper was 16.1 and I REALLY babied it during that tank. I think if I don’t just stop worrying about it and accept it, I’ll drive myself nuts.

Sort of related, has anyone seen where a taller tire will show the correct speed limit within 1 mph, but the mpg estimates are way off? I’m wondering if I should do a speedo correction or not.

With my 33 LT tires, my mpg goes down a bit. But the miles an hour are within .5 of my gps.

They are also a bit wider as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
With my 33 LT tires, my mpg goes down a bit. But the miles an hour are within .5 of my gps.

They are also a bit wider as well.

I think I pretty much have the same thing going on

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
I do prefer how they look/ride. The truck feels less squishy with them in.

But with 20x10 wheels that’s also not helping weight.

Idahoktm

Reaction score

My tires are 49lbs each. I don't think 7lbs would make much of a difference.

You will have to correct the speedo to get accurate numbers. My speedo was off by 1-2 mph with 33's.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I told you it’s good, I’d be lying. Last 2 tanks were low 16’s with mostly highway and me driving gently. I was consistently 20 mpg before. In the grand scheme of things, it’s not much more money for the new mpg, but I don’t want it to get any worse. Even if I have the money, I hate paying for gas. You probably already knew that with all my electric truck talk though, lol.
Wonder if it would have been better if you would have went with 275/60R20's? That's the route I want to go with. I'm really thinking about upgrading tires before I go to Aspen in 3 weeks.

I feel you about the electric truck or even the eco diesel trucks. Still on my mind lol

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My tires are 49lbs each. I don't think 7lbs would make much of a difference.

You will have to correct the speedo to get accurate numbers. My speedo was off by 1-2 mph with 33's.
That’s what’s confusing me a lot. I tend to trust Waze with its GPS because it matched the truck when it was stock, and it still matches. When I check all the tire calculators though, I should be about 2 miles an hour off at 70 miles an hour, and as far as I can tell, it’s dead on within less than 1 mile an hour.

Do you think I should try to do a correction anyway? I’m not sure how much sense that makes, but maybe it would make a difference?

The other thing was I was doing pen and paper method on the last two tanks it was still getting crappy mpgs. Doing a correction though might make me feel better when I scroll through the menu though, lol

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wonder if it would have been better if you would have went with 275/60R20's? That's the route I want to go with. I'm really thinking about upgrading tires before I go to Aspen in 3 weeks.

It would have been, but I really wanted either 22s or 24s. I got what I wanted and am paying the price I guess.

I think you’ll probably be happy with the lightest tire you can find in that size.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s what’s confusing me a lot. I tend to trust Waze with its GPS because it matched the truck when it was stock, and it still matches. When I check all the tire calculators though, I should be about 2 miles an hour off at 70 miles an hour, and as far as I can tell, it’s dead on within less than 1 mile an hour.

Do you think I should try to do a correction anyway? I’m not sure how much sense that makes, but maybe it would make a difference?

The other thing was I was doing pen and paper method on the last two tanks it was still getting crappy mpgs. Doing a correction though might make me feel better when I scroll through the menu though, lol
I think it might be the width of the tires too. My thought has always been, wider tires = more contact patch which will = more rolling resistance. not sure if that's true, but I feel like it could be.

Also you said you don't have it aligned yet so your truck can be toed in or out causing some rolling resistance.

lelshaddai

Reaction score
When I upgraded to 285 6520s my Speedometer now is 7% off. When the speedometer says 70 I’m actually doing 75. When the speedometer says 42 I’m going about 45.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Before I start, is this the best oil to use? I heard redline was but my local dollar general didn’t have any.

Also can I mix my oil filter and air filter brands? Because some people say you can’t, and I don’t wanna loose the 30hp I gained with my CAI.

THANKS.
99ff3d443ff6e7849a5ec696cee1fb98.jpg

I joke, but the hemi tick is less than when I started the truck with 2 miles on it when I bought it.

I changed the oil with 4k on the truck.

And with the $15 rebate this oil change cost me $35 including filter.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think it might be the width of the tires too. My thought has always been, wider tires = more contact patch which will = more rolling resistance. not sure if that's true, but I feel like it could be.

Also you said you don't have it aligned yet so your truck can be toed in or out causing some rolling resistance.
Oh yeah, for sure. I’m very good with everything related to vehicles with two exceptions: widow tint and alignments. I can’t for the life of me set toe by eye enough for our scuff gauge to even register the angle. My dad and the guy who’s doing my alignment tomorrow can both eyeball it and get toe within a couple tenths of a degree. The truck is definitely toed in but I don’t know how much.

Yep, the contact patch does increase for a 275/60/20 vs a 275/55/20. Rolling resistance also plays a big factor like you mentioned.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You guys are killing me…

33 gallon tank, most of my drive is up and down a mountain 2 lane freeway, 44 mile round trip, 3.21 gears, and I AVG. 15.8🤦🏻‍♂️ On stock Falken.
I really don’t lean in to it much…well, I try not to as much, lol.

And, in a week, will be putting on some 33x12.5-22 Toyo At-3’s with new wheels, with a Bilstein 5100 shock upgrade, front and back.
and, we just hit $4.07 for 92 on island at Sam’s.
Thank goodness I still got my City…I’m never driving my truck again, lol.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
That’s a deal! We are close to $4.50 for the good stuff in pa. Luckily my bike fuel tank is smaller than my trucks.

Idahoktm

Reaction score

Hmmm... maybe width plays a small role, but my tires are a 1/2" wider and 1/4" taller and I'm getting 1.5 mpg better with the majority of my driving in town.

I can't imagine 33's not being off by 1+ mph. If I remember correctly, I gained about 1-2 mpg after I calibrated my speedo.

Last edited:

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Replaced my tri-fold Lomax (OEM for Weathertech) with an American Roll Cover. From what I could find this was the only cover which fits on a Rambox-equipped truck and includes Yakima-compatible rails for adding racks.

View attachment 109752

View attachment 109753
That is the best looking cover that I have seen on a Ram Box. (y) 🇺🇸

Would you mind sharing the model number and where you purchased.

Users who are viewing this thread