5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wattage for USBC?

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The USB-C in the 19 ram allows for output up to 20V and 5 amps or 100 watts.
Source? Certainly didn't seem to fast charge my iPhone, which would require Power Delivery, which is the only way USB-C is getting to 100W of output.

The USB-C port in my 2019 Ram 1500 only output 5V ~2.8A. I tested with my HP EliteBook.
That's still great for cellphones though. Just plug your laptop into the AC power outlet.

namhoang22

Reaction score
My HP Laptop can still charge at 5V. :)...the USB-C port in the car, I don't think it will allow to do more than 5V. If Ram does that my laptop should take that power profile (PDO). Since it's doesn't do 100W (20V@5A) so my laptop only do 5V. Seem like the USB-C port can provide ~15W. That's would be plenty of power for phone already :)

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So what was the word on this? Does the usb-c to lightning charge the same as the usb to lightning under the 12” screen? What about the wireless charger?

Attachments

• 56DA7527-6B8A-446F-8D5C-391B21633141.jpeg
    56DA7527-6B8A-446F-8D5C-391B21633141.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 92

Willie_nelsun

Reaction score
Here is a screenshot from the owners manual. Looks like 5v at 2.5a for the USBs. Makes sense based on observed charging speeds. Capture+_2019-04-06-08-06-51.png

Kewlkarz911

Reaction score
Anyone know how many watts the USBC ports crank out?

I officially know mine doesn't have the juice to run a wireless charger. Powers on and off all the time have used three different wireless charger with the same result tried both USB and USB c. Ended up having to use a plug in charger... This is stupid... They almost did a good job.

nicktisdale

Reaction score
I tested my iPhone X with a USB-A to Lightning cable and found it only charged at 2.23W @ 446mA. This was with listening to music through CarPlay ... then tested without anything running in the background and found it charged at 2.73W @ 546mA. This was not fast charging to my dismay :(

Then I tested a USB-C to Lightning charger and it charged much faster: 8.29W @ 1.6A all this according to an app called "Amperes 3". I'd suggest investing in a couple USB-C to lightning chargers for $15: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S3DXG6C/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_qF9iDb6CSD778
fullsizeoutput_a183.jpeg fullsizeoutput_a184.jpeg fullsizeoutput_a187.jpeg

Cattail cruncher

Reaction score
I have 2 usb c lightning cables and the do charge faster for sure not as fast as my 33W block but it is an improvement. I phone XS can take advantage of the 33W wall chargers.

AE0MT

Reaction score
I picked up a USB-C power tester, and a USB-c to lightning cable, and while charging my iPhone XR, it provides 7.5w. 1.5A at 5v.

bigoldthor

Reaction score
I picked up a USB-C power tester, and a USB-c to lightning cable, and while charging my iPhone XR, it provides 7.5w. 1.5A at 5v.
Resurrecting an old thread. As the newer iPhones are only rated to charge at 7.5w, this is what I would expect to see.

What I HAVEN'T seen is anything definitive that tells us exactly what the power output potential is of the USB-A and USB-C ports. I would really like to know how many amps I can get from each port and whether or not there are any advantages to using a USB-C to Lightning cable for both power and data delivery (e.g. for CarPlay performance). I do use a USB-C to Lightning cable, but I would like to know if there would be a dropoff in power or data if I had to switch to USB-A to Lightning.

@RamCares, can you provide this information? I've looked through the owner's manual and the UConnect manual, and there is nothing in either that provides power/data rates. TIA

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Hi @bigoldthor - I was able to receive a follow up on this so I wanted to share those answers with you.

Power output potential of the USB-A and USB-C ports: USB Type A is 5v 2.5 amps USB Type C is 5v 3 Amps
How many amps I can get from each port? USB Type A is 5v 2.5 amps USB Type C is 5v 3 Amps
Is there any advantages to using a USB-C to Lightning cable for both power and data delivery (e.g. for CarPlay performance)? Yes as USB Type C will charge up to 4x faster then the traditional USB type a port. Please note that the device model and device usage at the time of charging may affect the charging time.
Would there be a drop off in power or data when switching from a USB-C to Lightning cable, to a USB-A to Lightning cable? No change in USB 2.0 media however USB type C has the capability of charging faster.

Mark
RamCares

bigoldthor

Reaction score
Hi @bigoldthor - I was able to receive a follow up on this so I wanted to share those answers with you.

Power output potential of the USB-A and USB-C ports: USB Type A is 5v 2.5 amps USB Type C is 5v 3 Amps
How many amps I can get from each port? USB Type A is 5v 2.5 amps USB Type C is 5v 3 Amps
Is there any advantages to using a USB-C to Lightning cable for both power and data delivery (e.g. for CarPlay performance)? Yes as USB Type C will charge up to 4x faster then the traditional USB type a port. Please note that the device model and device usage at the time of charging may affect the charging time.
Would there be a drop off in power or data when switching from a USB-C to Lightning cable, to a USB-A to Lightning cable? No change in USB 2.0 media however USB type C has the capability of charging faster.

Mark
RamCares
Perfect...thank you! It's odd that they don't provide this information elsewhere in any of the vehicle documentation. Regardless, I really appreciate your finding this out...kudos! (y)

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Perfect...thank you! It's odd that they don't provide this information elsewhere in any of the vehicle documentation. Regardless, I really appreciate your finding this out...kudos! (y)

I understand your sentiments, however that's why you have us! ;) We are always here to provide the additional support and do all that we can to keep you in the know. If you are ever in need of any additional support down the road, please do not hesitate to tag us or reach out privately.

Mark
RamCares

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I understand your sentiments, however that's why you have us! ;) We are always here to provide the additional support and do all that we can to keep you in the know. If you are ever in need of any additional support down the road, please do not hesitate to tag us or reach out privately.

Mark
RamCares
What does the phone charger pad put out? It seems unreasonably slow.

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
Resurrecting an old thread….. I have this Quadlock iPhone case on my phone as I use it on my motorcycle with a wireless charging head, I’ve found the ‘ram charger’ to be useless as I’ve got to have my phone ‘just right’ for it to charge.

so like any good consumer, I bought an additional charging head for the truck…. Exactly like the one on my motorcycle and guess what ? The USB ports are not powerful enough to make it work. It just cycles continuously trying to work. How is this even right ? My Indian motorcycle has a USB port that works flawlessly with the charging head while my 80k truck with its 7 USB port won’t !!!

according to the posts in this thread the USB ports should be able to charge the wireless head…… am I reading this wrong, can anyone shed some light on this ?

and the ports are working fine for direct wired charging, I tested them on a few different phones and wires.

Attachments

• AE543200-188C-43D4-9F4A-EDF65D0A541B.jpeg
    AE543200-188C-43D4-9F4A-EDF65D0A541B.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 25
  • E08A35A9-8E32-469E-8104-843CBAAEAFB7.jpeg
    E08A35A9-8E32-469E-8104-843CBAAEAFB7.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 22

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/