5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wattage for USBC?

Cattail cruncher

Reaction score
Did some research I read 20volts 5 amp equals 100 watts hope I got that right, if so those are kicking out some power. They charge my I phone very fast.

Cattail cruncher

Reaction score
Lap tops use 50-85 watts so seems like the device would be the limiting factor how much it can suck up.

Cattail cruncher

Reaction score
Fast charge your iPhone X, iPhone 8, or iPhone 8 Plus
Use fast charge to recharge iPhone up to 50 percent battery in 30 minutes.*

Fast charging gives you a quick and convenient way to recharge your iPhone X, iPhone 8, or iPhone 8 Plus. Your iPhone fast charges up to 50 percent in 30 minutes when you use an Apple USB-C to Lightning cable and one of these adapters:
  • Apple 29W, 30W, 61W, or 87W USB-C Power Adapter
  • A comparable third-party USB-C power adapter that supports USB Power Delivery (USB-PD)
If you're not sure which Apple Power Adapter you have, check the wattage on the bottom of the adapter:

Ram brought it’s A game here for sure IF my info is correct.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Fast charge your iPhone X, iPhone 8, or iPhone 8 Plus
Use fast charge to recharge iPhone up to 50 percent battery in 30 minutes.*

Fast charging gives you a quick and convenient way to recharge your iPhone X, iPhone 8, or iPhone 8 Plus. Your iPhone fast charges up to 50 percent in 30 minutes when you use an Apple USB-C to Lightning cable and one of these adapters:
  • Apple 29W, 30W, 61W, or 87W USB-C Power Adapter
  • A comparable third-party USB-C power adapter that supports USB Power Delivery (USB-PD)
If you're not sure which Apple Power Adapter you have, check the wattage on the bottom of the adapter:

Ram brought it’s A game here for sure IF my info is correct.

iPhones are only going to fast charge through USB C with a proper cable, AND, if the RAM supports USB Power Delivery. I doubt that it does, but I will try to test it out if I remember. Unfortunately there's several variants of fast charging with USB C. Standard is 5V/3A=15W of power which pretty much any Android phone with USB C should be able to take advantage of. Then you have Qualcomm QC which can also be sent over USB C. And finally USB PD.

Phiefer

Reaction score
Did some research I read 20volts 5 amp equals 100 watts hope I got that right, if so those are kicking out some power. They charge my I phone very fast.
You are correct in your definition of how to calculate power, however I doubt you have 20 volts at the connector, so i would doubt 100 watts of electrical power capacity. I may have misunderstood the original question, but if you are talking about a USB port, I think these are 5 volt that may be 1 amp (5 x 1) would be 5 watts. I think this is what a iPhone wall charger produces.

I should add 3 amps could be possible, but not 100 watts on a UBS jack. That would require 20 amps at 5 volts.

Last edited:

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not saying the truck has this, but usb c has a max mode of 20V at 5 amps.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hopefully I can eliminate some the confusion. USB-A (old rectangular USB ports) and USB-C (smaller oval ports) have two very different power outputs.

USB-A uses 5V and Ram supports 2.5A for 12.5W. Most modern smartphones charge nicely with this amount of capable power but do not like the older .5A or 1A - they just can't charge fast enough and that degrades batteries over time.

USB-C uses power delivery (charging) profiles so they can support a wide range of devices from phones to full-size notebooks. Per the USB Implementers Forum (USB.org):
  • Profile 1 - 5-1.5W: 5V @ .1-3A
  • Profile 2 - 15-27W: 5V @ 3A or 9V @ 1.7-3A
  • Profile 3 - 27-45W: 5V @ 3A or 9V @ 3A or 15V @ 1.8-3A
  • Profile 4 - 45-60W: 5V @ 3A or 9V @ 3A or 15V @ 3A or 20V @2.25-3A
  • Profile 5 - 60-100W: 5V @ 3A or 9V @ 3A or 15V @ 3A or 20V @3-5A

For a device to charge, it must "handshake" with the power delivery charger and they both must use the same profile. If a profile doesn't exist on either end, it cannot be used and this is far more common in today's USB-C devices/chargers than you'd think.

What we don't know is what profiles Ram supports. We can assume they support at least profile 1 and fuse F48 is a 10A for rear USB charge only and a few other items. Without someone testing a 1500 we just won't know how high up the stack they support. If they get up to at least 45W then you can use these USB-C ports to recharge a notebook.

In any case, any smartphone should be easily supported.

RT70808

Reaction score
Hopefully I can eliminate some the confusion. USB-A (old rectangular USB ports) and USB-C (smaller oval ports) have two very different power outputs.

USB-A uses 5V and Ram supports 2.5A for 12.5W. Most modern smartphones charge nicely with this amount of capable power but do not like the older .5A or 1A - they just can't charge fast enough and that degrades batteries over time.

USB-C uses power delivery (charging) profiles so they can support a wide range of devices from phones to full-size notebooks. Per the USB Implementers Forum (USB.org):
  • Profile 1 - 5-1.5W: 5V @ .1-3A
  • Profile 2 - 15-27W: 5V @ 3A or 9V @ 1.7-3A
  • Profile 3 - 27-45W: 5V @ 3A or 9V @ 3A or 15V @ 1.8-3A
  • Profile 4 - 45-60W: 5V @ 3A or 9V @ 3A or 15V @ 3A or 20V @2.25-3A
  • Profile 5 - 60-100W: 5V @ 3A or 9V @ 3A or 15V @ 3A or 20V @3-5A

For a device to charge, it must "handshake" with the power delivery charger and they both must use the same profile. If a profile doesn't exist on either end, it cannot be used and this is far more common in today's USB-C devices/chargers than you'd think.

What we don't know is what profiles Ram supports. We can assume they support at least profile 1 and fuse F48 is a 10A for rear USB charge only and a few other items. Without someone testing a 1500 we just won't know how high up the stack they support. If they get up to at least 45W then you can use these USB-C ports to recharge a notebook.

In any case, any smartphone should be easily supported.
This thread is going to make me go plug in my dell ultra book and my MacBook Pro to see if they charge via usb c. I’ll post my finding later.

Cattail cruncher

Reaction score
Yes that is the max for usb c 20v 5 amps so we still dont know what those ports put out, I would like to know.

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Be aware, not all usb c cables will work at 100 watts.

Cattail cruncher

Reaction score
The apple one l bought is good to 87 watts, I am thinking that the usb c ports are not 100W in the truck. I have been looking around an all I read was fast charging that dose not mean squat in my book.

Phiefer

Reaction score
Wow, learned something. I see the Ram sales booklet says on one page they use USB ports with 2.5A for the UConnect. But on another page they say two sets of USB /Type C USB ports enabling charging up to 4 times faster than standard USB outlets. Type C also can supply a max data rate of 10 Gbps. This was found on same page as the wireless charging is explained. Sweet! Must keep in mind that this does not ensure the hardware is going to support the max speed/voltage/current, but it is a step up from USB 2.0 or 3.0. Sorry if I mislead anyone.

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There are competing specifications, usb fast charge Vs usb PD

And of course, Apple does its own thing

Cattail cruncher

Reaction score
Did some testing on my 12v wall chargers and wa la 2536 mA /charge I pad pro 1% and looks like the usb c ports come in at the same 2536 mA to charge I pad pro 1% while truck is running, so I am guessing 12V.

Cattail cruncher

Reaction score
I know I am geeking out 5 volt wall charger 882 mA so its not 4 times faster than the slowist I phone charger. Hmmmm!

namhoang22

Reaction score
The USB-C port in my 2019 Ram 1500 only output 5V ~2.8A. I tested with my HP EliteBook.

Users who are viewing this thread