5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water leaks!

ac1dd

Reaction score
I think the instructions from the factory manual states before you begin you must remove the windshield first.

Maybe it can be done by removing the front seats/center console instead?

Many times the techs in the trenches will find more efficient ways to deal with these things that allow them to
make shortcuts. It's being going on for almost as long as there have been repair manuals written. :giggle:

ramhead

Reaction score
July 2019; purchased in October without any apparent issues. Even drove through a little rain off the lot and didn’t see anything dripping. Not really heavy on using the sunroof, so not sure what failed to compromise the integrity of the waterproofing.

Well, that's concerning being a late build......did you see other posts on here about the drain tubes being bent/stopped up where they exit the rear of cab.? I know some guys with sunroofs were having that issue....the tubes would be kinked or compressed and water would back up and leak into cab. Don't have a sunroof on mine but that may be a place to investigate.

Last edited:

J.forteza

Reaction score
...about the drain tubes being bent/stopped up where they exit the rear of cab.? I know some guys with sunroofs were having that issue.

I remember reading that. I checked the drain tubes near the driver door when I had my first leak. I forgot about the rear tubes with this second leak. Dealership called today and said they suspect the third brake light, but of course until I bring it it they won’t know for sure. Conveniently, they can’t order the part until I drop off the truck . Thanks for mentioning the rear drain

whetrick1

Reaction score
I remember reading that. I checked the drain tubes near the driver door when I had my first leak. I forgot about the rear tubes with this second leak. Dealership called today and said they suspect the third brake light, but of course until I bring it it they won’t know for sure. Conveniently, they can’t order the part until I drop off the truck . Thanks for mentioning the rear drain

Yeah I dropped mine off and they pulled the headliner down and saw that the frame on the rear widow was cracked after they changed the 3rd brake light out. Now they have to replace the rear window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J.forteza

Reaction score
saw that the frame on the rear widow was cracked after they changed the 3rd brake light out. Now they have to replace the rear window

Holy cow, no kidding. Cracked from the factory? When did you get it? Limited trim?

whetrick1

Reaction score
Holy cow, no kidding. Cracked from the factory? When did you get it? Limited trim?

I've had it over a year now. I started noticing a drip at about 17,000 miles. They replace the 3rd brake light and it still dripped. Then they pulled the head liner down and saw the water leaking between the glass and frame. I asked them if it was body frame and they told me that there's a metal frame mounted to the glass. I told them I wanted to see the old rear window when I come and get my truck. And I told them that I wanted everything documented on paper.

whetrick1

Reaction score
I guess it regular trim it doesn't have leather because I don't like leather seats. But it does have the sliding back glass window. Going to insist that they replace the back seat also since it's been soaked so many times.

2020RamSport

Reaction score
I kinda want to know now if it’s possible to get it out without removing the windshield or rear window

I've had the headliner out of my 2005 twice without removing any windows. The seats need to be reclined all the way back, and it's pulled through one of the front door openings. You have to be careful, but it can be done.

whetrick1

Reaction score
I've had the headliner out of my 2005 twice without removing any windows. The seats need to be reclined all the way back, and it's pulled through one of the front door openings. You have to be careful, but it can be done.

Yeah that's what the mechanic told me today. It's like taking a couch through the front the of your house lol.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sure hope that’s still the case with my pano roofed 2019

Jim L

Reaction score
Judging by what I read on several FB forums and here sure seems the problem is out of control concerning sliding rear windows leaks!

whetrick1

Reaction score
Judging by what I read on several FB forums and here sure seems the problem is out of control concerning sliding rear windows leaks!

Yeah I think all your trucks are having problems with them. At least the big 3 American companies

J.forteza

Reaction score
Update (02JAN2020): Truck has been at the dealership for three days, getting soaked up and down trying to get it to leak. Today, a solid drip developed at the front grab handle again leaving the seat and floor soaked.

We saw the water again penetrating through the sunroof seal, following the drain tract and somehow dumping into the cabin. I have a suspicion that this is how the water entered on the second occasion as well, but it accumulated and when I hit the gas it all sloshed to the rear of the cabin and dropped on the seats via the dome light and speaker.

Not sure if this is simply a bad sunroof seal, clogged drain line or what but after a trip to the body shop already they haven’t been able to identify or obviously fix the issue.

Will update.

gseroka1

Reaction score
Hey all,

Seen similar threads in this issue, but the more complaints, the more likely FCA will actually do something about it.

My 2019 2500 limited has been plagued by water leaks. First, through the sun roof catching the metal and not sealing properly. That caused water to leak through the overhead console (light switches and sunroof control) and through the left driver grab handle. I took it to the dealership, was given a rental truck, and a week later told the issue was fixed. Fast forward two weeks.

Consistent rain finally came, was happy to see the normal leak spots weren’t an issue anymore. Left the truck overnight, parked slightly up-hill on my driveway and found the next morning a waterfall from the rear dome light and rear left speaker. The seats were soaked, wavy, and the floor was of course drenched.

For a brand new truck, in 2019, for as much as FCA wants for these vehicles, this is unacceptable. I doubt my seats will ever be back to their former glory after this, not to mention the headliner and the countless hours dealing with this issue. I’m bringing it back to the dealership after the holiday.

I’ll keep y’all posted. Anyone else have issues?
[/QUOT
have the dealership check the rear draintube, the leak up front is from the moonroof glass it actually leaks and have them replace the 3rd brake lt. its more than likely the rear draintube because it comes off by the speaker. will be worse when parked downhill because all of the water will wrong backwards. the dealership can detail the stains out of the headliner

J.forteza

Reaction score
I’ve seen issues with those. You mean the drain tube that exits on the passenger side between the cab and the bed? I pointed that out to the dealership; he was sure it was only because of the sunroof leaking.

Is it just not properly connected or clogged?

Thanks for the input!

gseroka1

Reaction score
I’ve seen issues with those. You mean the drain tube that exits on the passenger side between the cab and the bed? I pointed that out to the dealership; he was sure it was only because of the sunroof leaking.

Is it just not properly connected or clogged?

Thanks for the input!
probably missing or not connected from the factory. theres 4 draintubes on every moon roof one in each corner

Users who are viewing this thread