5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water leak - Found Mold - 500 Miles

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I hate to ask a rhetorical question but is there really no adhesive on these grommets to hold them in place? Seriously? I haven’t even checked mine yet but I will probably put some silicone on all of them regardless. Cheap insurance. Doesn’t look like Ram is stepping up to do it so we might as well be proactive.

klail

Reaction score
I hate to ask a rhetorical question but is there really no adhesive on these grommets to hold them in place? Seriously? I haven’t even checked mine yet but I will probably put some silicone on all of them regardless. Cheap insurance. Doesn’t look like Ram is stepping up to do it so we might as well be proactive.
And it’s not like these are popping out after a couple thousand miles. I have 350 miles on mine. They just weren’t installed correctly to begin with.

Limited_Ram

Reaction score
Looking at mine, looks to be the same problem. What do you think? Look to be incorrectly installed?
It is definitely not seated properly. The round part (grommet) should be sitting flush with the cab. Basically the back portion of the grommet should go in the hole, creating a seal. I was able to reach up from underneath the truck and correct it.

klail

Reaction score
It is definitely not seated properly. The round part (grommet) should be sitting flush with the cab. Basically the back portion of the grommet should go in the hole, creating a seal. I was able to reach up from underneath the truck and correct it.
Thanks! I agree. It kind of looks like it was installed backwards.

clotagames

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. Checked my month old Limited and they are seated perfect.

TERRY YONTS

Reaction score
Well, mine has been in the shop three times this month and has to go back again. Water leaks, electrical problems, and recalls. First time was a water leak. Second time was the same leak. Third time was same water leak, license tag lights wouldn't go off, rear park assist inoperative, and two recalls. A total of 16 days. I picked it up Saturday and now the park assist is inoperative again so it has to go back for the forth time this month. I'm disgusted.

JayMann

Reaction score
Well, mine has been in the shop three times this month and has to go back again. Water leaks, electrical problems, and recalls. First time was a water leak. Second time was the same leak. Third time was same water leak, license tag lights wouldn't go off, rear park assist inoperative, and two recalls. A total of 16 days. I picked it up Saturday and now the park assist is inoperative again so it has to go back for the forth time this month. I'm disgusted.
yikes

this sounds like lemon law/buy back territory

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Could you please give us more detail on what caused the leaks and how the leaks were fixed.

J4U

Reaction score
With finding a solution for the brake issues I've been fighting decided to check in here as well. Built 8/18 - picked up 10/15 and just now checked...yup, both grommets are out. Was able to put drivers side back in but passenger side tube is pushed too far out and grommet won't slide on tube to put back in. Going to check under seats for dampness/rust/etc. Auughhh...guess I'll peek in on all the threads here.

EDIT: Checked for water behind both seats and no water damage...whew. Attempted to pull the carpet off and get sub out (that's the side that won't go back in) but don't have a lot of time. Put everything back together and let them do it when I get my brakes fixed in a few weeks.

I did notice on the driver's side back seat that they broke a piece of plastic on the side when they were fixing that 40 side. It wouldn't recline. Don't think I'll be taking it back to the OG dealership again if this other one treats me right on brakes and drain tubes and whatever else I find before then. Pass rear door seams misaligned and hear wind noise, on to the next checkpoint.

Last edited:

wayneli

Reaction score
Did you just take out two bolts to put the subwoofer down? Mine has subwoofer so I can't see the drain tube...

Thanks for the instructions on how to get my backseats folded I just finished fixing the passenger side on my truck that I bought back in December and thank God nothing was wet or anything. Thanks again now I know where that subwoofer is and how to take it out if I ever want to replace it
5ccbb5d629eb08ae8e08d44378467047.jpg
65f71963631db0e37f99aa7a7a7dd4f5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you just take out two bolts to put the subwoofer down? Mine has subwoofer so I can't see the drain tube...

The factory sub has four bolts. Two at the top and two at the bottom that wrap forward into the cab. You'd need to pull the rear wall carpet up to get to them if you're not removing the seats.

wayneli

Reaction score
The factory sub has four bolts. Two at the top and two at the bottom that wrap forward into the cab. You'd need to pull the rear wall carpet up to get to them if you're not removing the seats.

Thanks. A little bit difficult to access. But at least I know where to check if it leaks.

Mine is not popped it's just not flush. I am planning to use roof sealant to seal outside anyway.

M. Scarn

Reaction score
What really sucks - I pulled up my rubber floor mats to clean them off with a hose since getting the truck Aug 2018 and guess what? Drivers side floor was wet. Seems like back and passenger side is dry. Was probably like this the whole time. And so the process begins.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
What really sucks - I pulled up my rubber floor mats to clean them off with a hose since getting the truck Aug 2018 and guess what? Drivers side floor was wet. Seems like back and passenger side is dry. Was probably like this the whole time. And so the process begins.

That sucks. I hope you get it figured out and corrected. Did you mean this is the first time since getting the truck in August 2018 that you removed the mats to clean them? When was the last time you checked that area to clean or whatever. Helps to know how long this has been happening and under what circumstances. Either way needs to be fixed obviously.

brewdad

Reaction score
After my Army retirement, I worked at a CDJR dealership as service advisor then warranty administrator for 17 years; your service advisor should order replacement carpet and pads. Not once was one of my warranty claims for carpet/pad replacement rejected by Chrysler and the wet carpet was designated to the "scrap list" I printed out the next day---warranty parts are either scrapped or returned to the engineers to find out what went wrong. There was never any request to return wet interior items; as for noisy brakes, find the thread on this forum about squeaking brakes and note the Star Case number and give the number to your service people--they will be directed to order improved pads and calipers which will correct the issue; they can also order you a new seat cover, but may have to take picture of it and send to FCA for prior approval.
Here is my Jan 2019 comments again for those who did not read this entire thread; wet carpet/pads are covered 3 years/36,000 mile warranty.

M. Scarn

Reaction score
That sucks. I hope you get it figured out and corrected. Did you mean this is the first time since getting the truck in August 2018 that you removed the mats to clean them? When was the last time you checked that area to clean or whatever. Helps to know how long this has been happening and under what circumstances. Either way needs to be fixed obviously.

Yeah I have the weather-tech style RAM mats, not the fabric ones. This was the first time I took them out of the truck to give them a good scrubbing and a rinse off. So yeah almost a year has gone by before finally noticing it. I would recommend anyone else do the same, you would never know it's wet under there. I hope for the best, I have a very good dealer and rapport with the service department. I've done a lot of work on the truck in a year too (rolling aluminum tonneau cover , debadging, ceramic coating, new black rams head logo on tailgate and black RAM grill letters, new all black sport hood, added side step bars, tinted side windows (this is not the cause of leak - tinting today does not required the door to be taken apart). So it does sicken me that this is the beginning of unsolvable problem.

Users who are viewing this thread