5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VIN decode doesnt match truck

Hertzya

Reaction score
Hi all, just bought my first RAM. It is a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie. I was trying to figure out if I had a quad or crew cab by decoding my VIN. It is a quad cab :) However, it says I have the 3.6L V6, under the hood is a 5.7L HEMI V8, hood says same. Any thoughts on why the difference? Is there a way to have this corrected?

anthgulla

Reaction score
Most importantly.. what did you pay for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hertzya

Reaction score
Well I believed I was paying for a hemi, all the paperwork just says Ram 1500 and the VIN

anthgulla

Reaction score
Well I believed I was paying for a hemi, all the paperwork just says Ram 1500 and the VIN

Do you have the window sticker?

This will look it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you're looking at the build sheet, make sure and look at optional equipment on the last page(s) too. Many times, it will list things on the first page(s) that are overridden by options on the last page(s). Same can be said for the window sticker (but obviously that is not multiple pages).

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi all, just bought my first RAM. It is a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie. I was trying to figure out if I had a quad or crew cab by decoding my VIN. It is a quad cab :) However, it says I have the 3.6L V6, under the hood is a 5.7L HEMI V8, hood says same. Any thoughts on why the difference? Is there a way to have this corrected?

Curious, where are you seeing the 3.6L on your vin? Is this the dealership paper work?

nburd

Reaction score
if You are using an online “VIN decoder” it may be inaccurate. Sign up on the Ram “owners site“ and you will get the actual Build sheets from ram (its free) and look up the window sticker if available, you can get that from the Owners site too. https://www.mopar.com/ramtrucks/en-us.html

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You definitely need to give us more info.

Did you just use the VIN decoder?

Did you just use the window sticker generator?

Did you use the build sheet generator?

If you do not mind...post your VIN or at least the information site you used.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You definitely need to give us more info.

Did you just use the VIN decoder?

Did you just use the window sticker generator?

Did you use the build sheet generator?

If you do not mind...post your VIN or at least the information site you used.

+1. You could even just post your build sheet or whatever you are looking at, if you don't feel comfortable posting your VIN.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The first thing I would recommend is that you check the actual VIN on the vehicle and compare it to your paperwork and registration.

Based on the information you've already supplied, your VIN should be: 1C6xRFDTxxxxxxxxx.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044927 miles.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have the same story, I haven't solved it yet. Did it work out for you?
Are you saying your VIN says you have a different engine than you actually have? Here are the engine codes (it is digit 8 of your VIN):
G - 3.6L V6 (Pentastar)
T - 5.7L V8 Hemi
M - 3.0L EcoDiesel
9 - 6.2L V8 Hemi (supercharged)

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Guys OP hasn't been back since he posted this back in 2021
Future replies are likely to never get read or answered.

You bought what you bought. If you don't know if you bought a V6 or V8 you got bigger problems then the vin decoder.

Users who are viewing this thread