5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vararam Air Grabber intake installed

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Photos that might help

Air through the grille, hits the shield, goes up and sucked into filter. And the mopar one.

Attachments

• 43FE44E2-81D6-4F1E-B256-C681E5653666.jpeg
    43FE44E2-81D6-4F1E-B256-C681E5653666.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 1,156
  • 897C6C65-14AD-49BF-BB14-83721142CCDE.png
    897C6C65-14AD-49BF-BB14-83721142CCDE.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,142
  • CE5500AC-68E3-4718-90C0-1BB0513116E4.jpeg
    CE5500AC-68E3-4718-90C0-1BB0513116E4.jpeg
    465.3 KB · Views: 1,101

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After looking at the original photos from OP, it looks like the shroud might need to be cut back more to allow the air to actually go up the “ramp” shield. The little heat shield there directs the air up from the grille, before the radiator, and into filter. Even with it off, the radiator isn’t hot enough to effect the air temps going into the filter. Especially at speed.

But I wonder how the active grille shutters effect the air flow to this

SupremeWill

Reaction score
Yea I would Never expect any power gains lol. I was more interested for looks and sound. And just to buy parts if we are being homest lol.

It’s basically a ram air through the grille vs the traditional through the hood. Even mopar has a kit that’s basically the same, so I saw on google images. There’s is just enclosed vs open on the filter.

And the whole “hot air” thing is kind of bs, yes cold air makes more power but realistically on ANY of these intakes you are just drawing ambient air temps and they aren’t going to change the performance on something like this by much at all.

Look at the procharger kits, they draw air right off the headers on a lot of their kits. Doesn’t stop them from making power. And moving the filter to a “colder” area doesn’t really do much for them.

The only place where the “cold air” kits really shine is in the PDB market, but also kind of a scam because it’s more about filter size and air volume than temp there.

My butt Dyno says it's good for at least 25 horsepower!!
And my wife even notice it has a little bit more growl with this

syddog 2000

Reaction score
I decided to cut less and install rubber spacers to allow for air flow. I like the RAM on the shroud. BTW, Tis is the Vararam which I had installed on my 2015 trade. Fitment was the same.

Attachments

• IMG_4821.jpg
    IMG_4821.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 985

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
now that is a good idea! I might have to steal that once I finally decide to pull the trigger on this thing. I'm just trying to space out my mods a little but this is next!

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea I would Never expect any power gains lol. I was more interested for looks and sound. And just to buy parts if we are being homest lol.

It’s basically a ram air through the grille vs the traditional through the hood. Even mopar has a kit that’s basically the same, so I saw on google images. There’s is just enclosed vs open on the filter.

And the whole “hot air” thing is kind of bs, yes cold air makes more power but realistically on ANY of these intakes you are just drawing ambient air temps and they aren’t going to change the performance on something like this by much at all.

Look at the procharger kits, they draw air right off the headers on a lot of their kits. Doesn’t stop them from making power. And moving the filter to a “colder” area doesn’t really do much for them.

The only place where the “cold air” kits really shine is in the PDB market, but also kind of a scam because it’s more about filter size and air volume than temp there.
Hood open and external fan running on a dyno'd vehicle with under hood induction is good for 3-5 hp. That's 2-3% of RWHP vs a stationary vehicle with closed hood which is a worst case scenario. Not a huge gain but IAT makes a "little" difference. That difference is usually all an intake system will make anyways.

Sound and looks seem to be the biggest benefits.

Last edited:

gcscott

Reaction score
This is the All New Vararam Kit for the 2019 Ram, updated 2019 Kit & instructions, Product Code: VR-HEMI-5G . I installed a Vararam Air Grabber Ram Air Induction System for the 2019 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi trucks. To start off, the Vararam air box has an insulated bottom under the air filter box and the engine cover stays in place over the engine and both of these keep the engine heat away from the air filter intake. The hood forms the top cover for the Vararam air box and the Vararam air box has a nice high rubber seal all around its edge. I didn't need to cut or modify the radiator shroud. I put a spacer in the center of the radiator shroud to hold it up and it made a tunnel to direct the cold air to come up from the grille and directly into the air filter (Forced Cold Air Induction). No hot air will enter the air filter and throttle body from the radiator as I removed most of the Active Grille Shutters (AGS). I removed the top 3 louvers and the 5th louver. I left the 4th and 6th louvers so I didn't get a error code from the grille shutter motor. I didn't want to do a complete (AGS) delete. The cold air enters through the entire grille, passes through the removed (AGS) and is directed straight up into the Vararam air box. The hardest part of this install was removing the grille to get to the (AGS). I spent about 2 hours removing the OEM air box and installing the Vararam Air Grabber System. Don't forget to remove the negative battery cable for 30 minutes to reset the computer per the instructions. This Vararam air filter has a defiant increase in intake sound. Did horsepower and MPG. increase? My butt-dyno feels like there's more horsepower. Could this Vararam Intake be considered a Forced Cold Air Ram Induction Intake (Forced CAI) ??? :) Maybe.

The cost was $344 from Moe's Performance delivered and I think (JMO) it is a very good (CAI) with my installation mods (lots of cold air) compared to a (CAI) installed in the engine compartment where the OEM air box, filter and air tube is replaced and using the same air entry point for cold air as before. JMO.

. 0509191222a.jpg mod1A.jpg mod 2B.jpg mod3b.jpg mod4.jpg 0509191244.jpg

Last edited:

RC_Racer88

Reaction score
This is the All New Vararam Kit for the 2019 Ram, updated 2019 Kit & instructions, Product Code: VR-HEMI-5G . I installed a Vararam Air Grabber Ram Air Induction System for the 2019 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi trucks. To start off, the Vararam air box has an insulated bottom under the air filter box and the engine cover stays in place over the engine and both of these keep the engine heat away from the air filter intake. The hood forms the top cover for the Vararam air box and the Vararam air box has a nice high rubber seal all around its edge. I didn't need to cut or modify the radiator shroud. I put a spacer in the center of the radiator shroud to hold it up and it made a tunnel to direct the cold air to come up from the grille and directly into the air filter (Forced Cold Air Induction). No hot air will enter the air filter and throttle body from the radiator as I removed most of the Active Grille Shutters (AGS). I removed the top 3 louvers and the 5th louver. I left the 4th and 6th louvers so I didn't get a error code from the grille shutter motor. I didn't want to do a complete (AGS) delete. The cold air enters through the entire grille, passes through the removed (AGS) and is directed straight up into the Vararam air box. The hardest part of this install was removing the grille to get to the (AGS). I spent about 2 hours removing the OEM air box and installing the Vararam Air Grabber System. Don't forget to remove the negative battery cable for 30 minutes to reset the computer per the instructions. This Vararam air filter has a defiant increase in intake sound. Did horsepower and MPG. increase? My butt-dyno feels like there's more horsepower. Could this Vararam Intake be considered a Forced Cold Air Ram Induction Intake (Forced CAI) ??? :) Maybe.

The cost was $344 from Moe's Performance delivered and I think (JMO) it is a very good (CAI) with my installation mods (lots of cold air) compared to a (CAI) installed in the engine compartment where the OEM air box, filter and air tube is replaced and using the same air entry point for cold air as before. JMO.

. View attachment 24729 View attachment 24824 View attachment 24821 View attachment 24823 View attachment 24740 View attachment 24741

GCScott, how are you liking you Vararam? I just ordered mine and it will be here Friday. Is it a must to remove the shutters? Thanks

jonnyt

Reaction score
This looks like a much cheaper (like 600 cheaper) option I might have to look at over the mopar piece

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone done any real world 0-60 or 1/4 mile ET before and after? Just wondering if it is just a cool peice of plastic or if it has a well documented performance gain, even if that's small. Sound preferences and seat of the pants testimonies don't count.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

. View attachment 24729 View attachment 24824 View attachment 24821 View attachment 24823 View attachment 24740 View attachment 24741
Off topic, but I like the little "MOPAR" badge.

Hockeygod1225

Reaction score
I have to say I installed this morning and I am unimpressed. It may be that my expectations were too high. I didn't expect even a single hp increase but I was hoping for more induction noise. There may be an increase but with my flowmaster outlaw I can't tell the difference.

chainsaw

Reaction score
I just received mine yesterday. Installed it last night. I go to use remote start today, to cool it off, and it doesn't work. Throws an engine code. I disconnect the battery for an hour, it goes away. Then remote start again, throws a code. Anyone else have this issue?

chainsaw

Reaction score
I just received mine yesterday. Installed it last night. I go to use remote start today, to cool it off, and it doesn't work. Throws an engine code. I disconnect the battery for an hour, it goes away. Then remote start again, throws a code. Anyone else have this issue?
So, i figured it out... the mass air flow sensor wasn't snapped all the way in. Problem solved! How I wish there weren't soo many electronics on new vehicles...

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/