5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vararam Air Grabber intake installed

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think I'd be inclined to want a bit of filtering to keep out insects and dirt, but it's probably pretty un-critical.
Mine is tucked under the plastic egine cover and not visible

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Mine is tucked under the plastic egine cover and not visible
Do you have etorque?
I wasn't able to get my cover back on.
I wasn't running with the engine cover anyways.

You have to look at how it's routes from the factory. The fitting is on the intake tube. At WOT, when there is no vacuum in the intake manifold and air is rushing past the fresh air fitting, which could create a slight vacuum in that line. Think of it like the crankcase evap systems that use exhaust gases flowing past a tube to suck vapors out of crank case. Replacing it with a separate breather doesnt do that.
I mean it's venting into the engine compartment or somewhere. If it was attached to the air intake it would have a slight vacuum but nothing crazy.
I guess i'm just not sure the purpose of a breather vs going into the intake, maybe a federal emissions requirement to eat it back up vs just spit it out?

This is what my install looks like in case anyone is curious.
I am going to cut the plastic RAM cover at some point when I get around to it and snap it back on.
Also going to move my catch can most likely, maybe see what I can do with that plastic bracket for the oil intake that says v6

1669676014185.jpeg
1669676035039.jpeg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have etorque?
I wasn't able to get my cover back on.
I wasn't running with the engine cover anyways.

I mean it's venting into the engine compartment or somewhere. If it was attached to the air intake it would have a slight vacuum but nothing crazy.
I guess i'm just not sure the purpose of a breather vs going into the intake, maybe a federal emissions requirement to eat it back up vs just spit it out?

This is what my install looks like in case anyone is curious.
I am going to cut the plastic RAM cover at some point when I get around to it and snap it back on.
Also going to move my catch can most likely, maybe see what I can do with that plastic bracket for the oil intake that says v6

View attachment 144832
View attachment 144833
I do not have etorque. I was confused when the instructions said to take off engine cover, because after I did and got the Vararam installed, I realized there was no need to even remove it. Took the Vararam back off, snapped engine cover back on, then re-installed the Vararam.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I do not have etorque. I was confused when the instructions said to take off engine cover, because after I did and got the Vararam installed, I realized there was no need to even remove it. Took the Vararam back off, snapped engine cover back on, then re-installed the Vararam.
I think the only reason I would of needed to remove the cover (if I didn't already have it removed) was to disconnect the air line and install the breather as it's under the cover. The cover should mount far enough back to clear the intake completely with etorque.

Not sure if it's the same on non-etorque but getting that cover back on is crazy hard. I gave up as I was going to put the cover back on before I finished the install but said screw it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think the only reason I would of needed to remove the cover (if I didn't already have it removed) was to disconnect the air line and install the breather as it's under the cover. The cover should mount far enough back to clear the intake completely with etorque.

Not sure if it's the same on non-etorque but getting that cover back on is crazy hard. I gave up as I was going to put the cover back on before I finished the install but said screw it.
It takes a bit to get it lined up. I just thi knit looks better under the hood with the cover on. Hides a lot of the lines. And I take it to car shows where looks matter

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
What am I suppose to use to seal the existing air intake.
The Vararam didn't come with what the Mopar unit comes with to seal it, they don't even include it in the instructions.

This video at 27 seconds in shows a part that inserts to seal the existing hole

The install instructions for the Mopar unit call it a inlet close out cover but doesn't provide a part number.

I'm wondering what the part number is to order it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Vararam didn't come with what the Mopar unit comes with to seal it, they don't even include it in the instructions.

This video at 27 seconds in shows a part that inserts to seal the existing hole

The install instructions for the Mopar unit call it a inlet close out cover but doesn't provide a part number.

I'm wondering what the part number is to order it.
Why do you need to seal it?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The handyman's secret weapon now comes in a variety of colors. ;)

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Why do you need to seal it?
I don't NEED to do anything. It's no different then a seal for any other air system. If it's sealed more air will be forced to come into the air intake and the rad.

I called a dealership and they had no idea what the part is. They said that performance parts can't always be ordered except as a kit. They said if i found a vin number of a GT truck (I had to tell them it comes standard on them) they might be able to find it. But I wonder if on the GT they don't include the tube from the factory to start with, vs capping it off.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't NEED to do anything. It's no different then a seal for any other air system. If it's sealed more air will be forced to come into the air intake and the rad.

I called a dealership and they had no idea what the part is. They said that performance parts can't always be ordered except as a kit. They said if i found a vin number of a GT truck (I had to tell them it comes standard on them) they might be able to find it. But I wonder if on the GT they don't include the tube from the factory to start with, vs capping it off.
The Vararam has been around far longer than the Ram air from Mopar. If it was an issue, I'm sure they would have addressed it.

Users who are viewing this thread