5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vararam Air Grabber intake installed

kmblackbear

Reaction score
So I ordered a 2nd Plastic radiator shroud today. Going to keep the one that came with the truck in case I don't like it. Nice to see someone was able to cut it and leave the RAM lettering but looks like it might hinder the airflow and cut down on any performance gains to be had as opposed to cutting the shroud more aggressively freeing up the airflow. I'm going to try it and see if I can leave the letting on, see what kind of difference I get from it and still keep it looking clean.

Thinking I'll probably paint the air filter cover to match the truck. Will post some pics when I get it done.

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
Thinking I'll probably paint the air filter cover to match the truck. Will post some pics when I get it done.
[/QUOTE]

I painted mine to match and added a Ram logo to the cover. Found the decal at Amazon.

Elkhunter149

Reaction score
This is the All New Vararam Kit for the 2019 Ram, updated 2019 Kit & instructions, Product Code: VR-HEMI-5G . I installed a Vararam Air Grabber Ram Air Induction System for the 2019 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi trucks. To start off, the Vararam air box has an insulated bottom under the air filter box and the engine cover stays in place over the engine and both of these keep the engine heat away from the air filter intake. The hood forms the top cover for the Vararam air box and the Vararam air box has a nice high rubber seal all around its edge. I didn't need to cut or modify the radiator shroud. I put a spacer in the center of the radiator shroud to hold it up and it made a tunnel to direct the cold air to come up from the grille and directly into the air filter (Forced Cold Air Induction). No hot air will enter the air filter and throttle body from the radiator as I removed most of the Active Grille Shutters (AGS). I removed the top 3 louvers and the 5th louver. I left the 4th and 6th louvers so I didn't get a error code from the grille shutter motor. I didn't want to do a complete (AGS) delete. The cold air enters through the entire grille, passes through the removed (AGS) and is directed straight up into the Vararam air box. The hardest part of this install was removing the grille to get to the (AGS). I spent about 2 hours removing the OEM air box and installing the Vararam Air Grabber System. Don't forget to remove the negative battery cable for 30 minutes to reset the computer per the instructions. This Vararam air filter has a defiant increase in intake sound. Did horsepower and MPG. increase? My butt-dyno feels like there's more horsepower. Could this Vararam Intake be considered a Forced Cold Air Ram Induction Intake (Forced CAI) ??? :) Maybe.

The cost was $344 from Moe's Performance delivered and I think (JMO) it is a very good (CAI) with my installation mods (lots of cold air) compared to a (CAI) installed in the engine compartment where the OEM air box, filter and air tube is replaced and using the same air entry point for cold air as before. JMO.

. View attachment 24729 View attachment 24824 View attachment 24821 View attachment 24823 View attachment 24740 View attachment 24741

broman66

Reaction score
Were the AGS shutters hitting the shroud? I'm not sure why you removed them if the air is coming through the grill >then through the AGS>then up the shroud>through the filter. The air was tapped before the radiator, do you think heat was still trickling into the airflow?
Very curious, as I am interested in getting it especially with the 'normal' easy installation.
Thank you. I value your thoughts.

popcenator

Reaction score
Were the AGS shutters hitting the shroud? I'm not sure why you removed them if the air is coming through the grill >then through the AGS>then up the shroud>through the filter. The air was tapped before the radiator, do you think heat was still trickling into the airflow?
Very curious, as I am interested in getting it especially with the 'normal' easy installation.
Thank you. I value your thoughts.
I removed mine as well. The scoop comes down behind the grill/shutters, so when they close, you're not getting the cool air being pushed through like you would without them. I noticed a pretty big difference when I removed mine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Scooter74820

Reaction score
Is there a difference between the 4G & 5g? I ordered a 4G yesterday for my 2019 bighorn. It said it was for the 2013-2020 1500. Hope I didn't order the wrong one

UnclJim

Reaction score
I belonged to another Ram forum a few yrs back when I had my '13 Outdoorsman. a couple guys did some dyno comparisons and it was proven aftermarket air intakes were mostly bling on the Gen 4's. I personally had this on my truck knowing it was mostly show. you need to be alert in snowy areas snow does build up in the intake.

Vintage Rebel

Reaction score
I notice the catch can is this to replace the oil breather? What brand is it and model number?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I notice the catch can is this to replace the oil breather? What brand is it and model number?
It goes in between the PCV valve and intake manifold. Helps prevent oil/fuel vapors from going back through intake manifold and into cylinders. His looks like a BilletTech model, but you can buy the same one without a brand off Amazon for ~$60

This is the one I'm running
Black Oil Catch Can Tank Compatible with 2009-2019 Dodge RAM Trucks 1500 2500 5.7L 6.2L 6.4L https://a.co/d/8kv0K9n

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I belonged to another Ram forum a few yrs back when I had my '13 Outdoorsman. a couple guys did some dyno comparisons and it was proven aftermarket air intakes were mostly bling on the Gen 4's. I personally had this on my truck knowing it was mostly show. you need to be alert in snowy areas snow does build up in the intake.
I k ow this is an old post, but I haven't had any issues with snow building up in mine, and it stays dry in the rain as well

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had snow buildup in my Gen 4 with it, cant speak for Gen 5's
I think with the AGS in 5th gens it's probably not an issue.

And for those who think the AGS blocks airflow to the intakez the AGS doesn't cover the whole radiator and air still gets through, so you are still getting "cold" air from in front of radiator. It just has to come from below the AGS shutters.

Users who are viewing this thread