5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vararam Air Grabber intake installed

jamesfg

Reaction score
Install was easy as can be. Took all of 45 minutes including cutting the shroud. Vararam 's install directions show leaving the shroud off but to my OCD, it doesn't look "right". Haven't really driven it to give any feedback on performance yet.
20190126_110308.jpg 20190126_110317.jpg 20190126_110326.jpg

syddog 2000

Reaction score
With mine, intake air rush was much more prevalent. To the point where I have no need for an exhaust upgrade.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Doesn't the front lip of the hood have a weather seal on it? If so, then I think the reason they recommend leaving the shroud off is to allow air flow to the intake. As it is right now I don't really see a clear path for air to travel, other than the small hole where the hood release latch is. Either way I think it looks awesome, even better than the ram intake we've been waiting months for.

Last edited:

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree hood seals up pretty good. The only thing I see this doing is sucking hot air post radiator through hood latch area.
Am I missing something here?

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree hood seals up pretty good. The only thing I see this doing is sucking hot air post radiator through hood latch area.
Am I missing something here?

It is being sold as a 'ram' intake, not a 'cold air' intake...

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is being sold as a 'ram' intake, not a 'cold air' intake...
It should be both. Ramming hot air into the motor causes a power loss.

Perhaps trimming the hood seal wherever it blocks the intake would help ram cold air into the intake.

pber1

Reaction score

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Glad to see those who have installed theirs found there to be an easy job. :)

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Might want to check it out...

http://www.vararam.com/air-grabber/air-grabber.html

Just saying....
I did. It looks like hot air from the radiater gets directed up that ramp if the shroud is left off in the front unless I'm missing something. Cutting the shroud could block that depending on how it's trimmed....but then it seems the hood seal on the front would block air. I gotta go look under my hood to see how this all fits.

Btw...30hp, -0.5 ET, and 3 mpg from an intake is pretty optimistic! I'd love to see the proof of that! That would be better than any tested intake ever!

Also, where is the eTorque motor....under the shroud? The eTorque is air cooled. OP's pics don't show it but his truck is an eTorque Hemi.

I'm intrigued. It looks great. I'll keep reading and see what develops.

Last edited:

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea I would Never expect any power gains lol. I was more interested for looks and sound. And just to buy parts if we are being homest lol.

It’s basically a ram air through the grille vs the traditional through the hood. Even mopar has a kit that’s basically the same, so I saw on google images. There’s is just enclosed vs open on the filter.

And the whole “hot air” thing is kind of bs, yes cold air makes more power but realistically on ANY of these intakes you are just drawing ambient air temps and they aren’t going to change the performance on something like this by much at all.

Look at the procharger kits, they draw air right off the headers on a lot of their kits. Doesn’t stop them from making power. And moving the filter to a “colder” area doesn’t really do much for them.

The only place where the “cold air” kits really shine is in the PDB market, but also kind of a scam because it’s more about filter size and air volume than temp there.

Users who are viewing this thread