5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB and CarPlay doesn’t work when hot outside.

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ran into this exact problem today here in Memphis. I think it's a skrillion degrees outside and my USBs are definitely not working today.

This was my response from FCA. I emailed her back less than 10 minutes after she sent this and no follow up.

Hi, I just wanted to advise you that I have gotten a response from my internal tech team. I have a few more questions for you. They want to confirm if your able to play media from other sources, like a USB connected to the media hub, when you feel the heat is preventing Carplay from functioning. You might be able to alleviate the issue by running the hvac to cool the cabin temp to prevent the issue if you believe that is occurring (the resister tripping and not resetting until it is cooler) if this is actually the root cause of the concern. Thanks Tiffanie.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
This was my response from FCA. I emailed her back less than 10 minutes after she sent this and no follow up.

Hi, I just wanted to advise you that I have gotten a response from my internal tech team. I have a few more questions for you. They want to confirm if your able to play media from other sources, like a USB connected to the media hub, when you feel the heat is preventing Carplay from functioning. You might be able to alleviate the issue by running the hvac to cool the cabin temp to prevent the issue if you believe that is occurring (the resister tripping and not resetting until it is cooler) if this is actually the root cause of the concern. Thanks Tiffanie.
I got the same message. Copied and pasted to both of us.

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
I got the same message. Copied and pasted to both of us.

It’s insulting to us that they act like it’s not a problem they know about and then suggest running the AC to fix it.

I own one truck and have the issue everyday, I can’t imagine how many people actually have this problem and have no idea what the issue is.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
It’s insulting to us that they act like it’s not a problem they know about and then suggest running the AC to fix it.

I own one truck and have the issue everyday, I can’t imagine how many people actually have this problem and have no idea what the issue is.
I know right. It’s probably a diversion attempt hoping the customer will accept this as a resolution. I advised that it doesn’t work even after 30 min of driving, and the cabin temp is comfortable. Also asked about the new revision to see if it works better. Now awaiting a response.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score

Haven’t heard from her again 🤷🏻‍♂️

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
To be fair I expect them to do nothing. I also can’t use the WiFi hotspot in my truck. Evidently no one has been able to sign up since like last November. Only response from FCA is that they are working on a resolution and will let me know when it’s available. AT&T says it’s a Chrysler problem and affecting a lot of vehicles. But functionally it works so obviously a contract dispute. But why just keep people hanging. Tell the truth and let’s move on with our lives.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Called Tiffany for an update. She said she sent my message to the tech sept, but hasn’t heard back from them. She’s just a go between, but hopefully they will want to help.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am originally from Iowa. I was the guy that was wearing tee shirts in the winter when I moved here and laughing at the people wearing parkas. Almost 20 years later and I am the parka guy now when it drops below 60°. You definitely get accustomed to the heat. I tell my friends back home, at least I’ve never had to shovel heat off my driveway.
Yep, it took me 4 years to adjust from IL to AZ. Now, it hits the 70's and I'm declaring it long-sleeve weather. I agree - we don't have to shovel sunshine.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting thread. My truck is parked outside in Phoenix and I haven't experienced any issues with CarPlay yet but I've only had it for a few months. The only thing I do have is the non-working USBs. I could insert a USB stick with MP3s in my Charger that had UConnect 4 and it worked perfectly. Now it won't recognize the same USB stick (and at least 4 others I've tried). I haven't had it back to the dealer for it yet. I'm going to try disconnecting/reconnecting the battery since I've heard that works. Separate issue I know, but there is a known issue with the USB hub, which may or may not tie into the USB hub/Carplay issue.

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Interesting thread. My truck is parked outside in Phoenix and I haven't experienced any issues with CarPlay yet but I've only had it for a few months. The only thing I do have is the non-working USBs. I could insert a USB stick with MP3s in my Charger that had UConnect 4 and it worked perfectly. Now it won't recognize the same USB stick (and at least 4 others I've tried). I haven't had it back to the dealer for it yet. I'm going to try disconnecting/reconnecting the battery since I've heard that works. Separate issue I know, but there is a known issue with the USB hub, which may or may not tie into the USB hub/Carplay issue.

Does it ever work?

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
@Dmalonecentral aNy news from tiffanie?

On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 1:09 PM US Customer Care wrote:
Hi, I am being advised that the next steps would be is to make an appointment at the dealership for further diagnoses. They will be able to reach out to their STAR Master Techs for guidance and troubleshooting steps. Thanks Tiffanie.

My snarky response:
Ok. This went exactly where I thought it would go. The dealership has already documented the issue, reproduced the issue, and replaced the media hub twice. I don’t think the dealership is equipped to diagnose circuit level components and it will just unnecessarily tie up my vehicle with no actual permanent solution. Thanks anyway for trying to help but I did not actually expect a resolution as Ram engineers either really have no idea what’s going on or for liability reasons are unwilling to acknowledge it.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hi, I am being advised that the next steps would be is to make an appointment at the dealership for further diagnoses. They will be able to reach out to their STAR Master Techs for guidance and troubleshooting steps. Thanks Tiffanie.

My snarky response:
Ok. This went exactly where I thought it would go. The dealership has already documented the issue, reproduced the issue, and replaced the media hub twice. I don’t think the dealership is equipped to diagnose circuit level components and it will just unnecessarily tie up my vehicle with no actual permanent solution. Thanks anyway for trying to help but I did not actually expect a resolution as Ram engineers either really have no idea what’s going on or for liability reasons are unwilling to acknowledge it.
Wow. Yea same ol song and dance it seems. I am not under bumper to bumper warranty any more. Not sure how this will go. I’ll see if she responded to me.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

My snarky response:
FWIW, Ramcares is basically just an advocate to help with dealer service issues. They aren't going to put you in contact with factory engineer or troubleshoot your problem. They will always tell you that you need to take the vehicle to the dealer for troubleshooting. If your dealer has never opened a star case with Ram, then they are just throwing parts at it and not trying to actually figure out the issue

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
FWIW, Ramcares is basically just an advocate to help with dealer service issues. They aren't going to put you in contact with factory engineer or troubleshoot your problem. They will always tell you that you need to take the vehicle to the dealer for troubleshooting. If your dealer has never opened a star case with Ram, then they are just throwing parts at it and not trying to actually figure out the issue
We have both been in contact with a Uconnect case manager from Stellantis. It’s not ramcares that has been emailing us.

Users who are viewing this thread