5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upfitter Switches

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does the tow and traction buttons still work on this replacement? As I understand, the switch assy is a computer module that outputs low voltage commands, at probably far less amps than lights need? I'm just trying to get the switches back to the dash out of the way.

HawkUH60

Reaction score
Receaved this from ram.

"Dear John

Thanks for raising a request for 'Upfitter switches in a ram 1500' with Ram commercial team for body builder's guide. Our engineers have analyzed the request and provided the solution below.

Request Id: 7671
Request Subject:Upfitter switches in a ram 1500

Request Description:I want to know if its posable to put OEM upfitter switches in my 21 ram 1500. i want to keep the clean look of the truck with OEM parts but would like the functiality of having switches for basic things like cab lights or other lights.

Response:Unfortunately, the factory aux switches cannot be added aftermarket.

The aux switch system is totally integrated into the vehicles electronics. The switch bank has a small computer in it. The button on the dash signals the processor in the switch bank. The processor takes the switch signal and based on data sent from the cluster via the data bus, decides which relay to fire in the aux PDC and when to fire it.
If the vehicle was not built with aux switches, the rest of the electronics in the vehicle will not be configured properly. The programming menu in the cluster will not be there and the messages that the switch needs to do its job won’t be there either.

There are also some diagnostics issues. If the wrong switch is plugged into the vehicle, fault codes will be set and depending on the trim level of the vehicle, some of the other electronic components (heated steering wheel and seats to name a few) will not function properly.

There is no way to change the electronic configurations after build.

All of the above said, it appears that some aftermarket companies may have options.

Thank you."

kc9umr

Reaction score
could the AlphaOBD tool enable the software?

The question is still then the missing accessory fuse panel...

Nukegm426

Reaction score
It’s not just a fuse panel missing... there is a control
Module for the switches as well as the associated wiring.

kc9umr

Reaction score
I've seen a number of posts where it looks like they've enabled the buttons in the head unit, and then they work to turn signals at the back of the switch panel on and off. From there, it takes some custom wiring to take the button outputs through a homebrew harness off to a fuse panel (4thgen electronics had it). A "Y" cable could do it if one can find the connectors (and those are out there, if you know where to look).

I'm considering experimenting with it, but I have to find which panel contains Traction control, FT/RR assist, and Tow/Haul buttons on the top. Tasca's site kindof sucks in that regard - there's a bunch of models with photos missing. I'd even settle for the traction control symbol being wrong if i had the function.

If one put the panel in to start with, the basic truck functionality should stay the same.

Then it becomes a matter of the Y harness - a relay coil only takes 200 mA, so it's not a crazy amount of current to switch them on and off. A smaller 6 conductor cable could easily be used for this purpose as an add-in.

kc9umr

Reaction score
Given the 4th Gen setup and switch configuration, their response is actually interesting (I read it earlier, and just re-read it). Might have to watch the u-wrench-it type places for a rig with that panel.

HawkUH60

Reaction score
Really? I'd like to know what companies and options those are?
They were not forthcoming with information. Switch pros seems to have a easy to use Bluetooth kit but the switches are not the best looking.

kc9umr

Reaction score
switches.JPG
Here's a model number decoder for the switch panels. 68376640 is the one shown in the FCA docs (traction/tow-haul/front and rear parking and 6 aux switchs)

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’s not just a fuse panel missing... there is a control
Module for the switches as well as the associated wiring.

I don't believe there's a "control module" for AUX switches in the HD. All the HD trucks* are capable of having them added.

This is a common DIY add-on to HD trucks. The Aux switches do need to be enabled with AlfaOBD, some wires pinned, and if it's not a diesel truck that already has the AUX PDC under the hood, an AUX PDC installed and wiring installed. The Aux switches just complete a ground connection. Once set in the BCM, the options for setting them up (BAT vs IGN, Latching vs momentary, etc.) are in the EVIC. Whether there's an existing AUX PDC (diesel) or not, all the AUX wiring has to be installed as it's not present in the factory harness (left dash harness) form the plant unless ordered with AUX switches.

* It can't be done on the PW because the panel switch wiring that could be used is already take by the axle lockers and sway disco switches.

Can't say of it can be done on a 1500, @Jimmy07 would be the most likely to know. It's probably a limitation on the BCM existing circuits being used for something else.

Even those HD owners looking to do it, many just use S-Pod or SwitchPro. Switchpro has a setup that goes right below the headlight switch on the HD trucks. Not sure what they offer for 1500.

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Yes but the discussion here is adding them to the 1500’s which do not have any of the modules or wiring for it.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes but the discussion here is adding them to the 1500’s which do not have any of the modules or wiring for it.
There’s no “modules” for it. It’s literally the switch bank, and a fuse/relay box wired up like any other switch on a relay with an accessory (with the aux switch output wires completing the ground circuit on the relay coil). An HD switch bank will definitely plug right into a DT truck, fit perfect, and your existing switches will work. It’s just a matter of will the aux switches work- I believe so. It’s a gamble someone is going to have to be the first to try. You might possibly be able to determine without having to buy the switch bank first by finding out if the DT EVIC supports commercial settings (this is where the settings for the switches are). If you have AlfaOBD, enable these settings, and see if the commercial settings menu shows up in the EVIC (you might need the windows version to access some of these):
CBC Features: Configuration Aux Switches PTO- SIX SWITCHES
LIN & Misc: ASBM Present- YES
CustSetMenu 1: Auxiliary Switches- 3-6 OPTION
If it works out, and you can get the aux switches to light up when you press them, then it’s a cake walk after that- add the six missing wires into the connector that plugs into the the switch bank, $15 fuse box, fuses and relays, output connectors, and wire up the box and mount in the engine bay somewhere.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
*ADD TO ABOVE *-
If commercial settings menu shows up in the EVIC, 0000 will be the PIN to be able to enter the menu.

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Don’t know what to tell you bud, the above mentioned email from ram states it’s not that simple, and when I looked into it last year I dug up a diagram showing the pic under the hood and another control module for it under the dash as well as the switch panel. Yes the physics switch panel would bolt on but nothing I’ve seen says anything more than that is doable without a lot of modifications. If it was easy why hasn’t anyone done it?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Don’t know what to tell you bud, the above mentioned email from ram states it’s not that simple, and when I looked into it last year I dug up a diagram showing the pic under the hood and another control module for it under the dash as well as the switch panel. Yes the physics switch panel would bolt on but nothing I’ve seen says anything more than that is doable without a lot of modifications. If it was easy why hasn’t anyone done it?
Ram engineering will NEVER tell you that any system can be added to the truck after the fact (unless it’s a kit they offer such as remote start), so you can’t go by what they say. I’ve been involved with adding pretty much every factory option onto FCA vehicles that didn’t come with that you can think of, and definitely every one that ram engineering says isn’t possible. I’ve even added factory options onto vehicles that didn’t even exist as options for that model (such as blind spot monitoring with cross path detection on 2013-2018 Rams, which didn’t exist until 2019MY, and it operates like factory). I can assure you, there are no other modules needed for the aux switches. You must be referring to the VSIM (vehicle system interface module), which is a separate system that deals with upfitter options, such as wigwag lights, etc.
Nobody has probably tried it yet because, a) everyone wants to wait until somebody ELSE tries it, and, b) whenever someone asks about it, someone else comes along and says “why don’t you just get an aftermarket option”, and the thread shifts in that direction.
I would try it out for you guys, but I don’t have access to a DT truck. Heck, if anybody has AlfaOBD for windows, and wants to try it, I have a spare aux switch bank I’ll send them to plug in and test. It’s got tow/haul, traction control, and rear park sense on the top row.
Either way, anybody that wants to give it a shot, I’ve outlined what needs to be done to see if they’ll work on a DT, which is the exact same process for adding them to an HD truck that didn’t come with them.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

You should know that Jimmy is THE resident source of truth for all these DIY sales code add-ons on several (many) forums across the interwebz. He's rarely, if ever, wrong about any of this stuff. Like he said, he (and many of us) have added countless sales codes that RAM said couldn't be done. In their eyes, if they don't sell a kit, it can't be done. All it takes is some knowledge, an AlfaOBD setup, and maybe pinning some wires.

RAM says you can't add a VSIM outside the plant order, yet it's been done and Jimmy was the one that supplied all the details and built the wiring harness for those that did it. He was also instrumental in figuring out how to add Trailer TPMS to trucks that it wasn't offered on and built jumper pigtails for that as well.

P.S. calling him "bud" is pretty insulting too, but especially amusing coming from someone that doesn't have anywhere near the same level of knowledge.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have been making these Switch Panels to replace the overhead Sunglass Cubby.

Fresh Print of my Switch Panel with PSI Display:

SwitchPrint.jpg

Switch Panel Wiring:
Red Fused Battery Wire goes to the Power Switch for the BED. So it works with out the truck being on for camping.
Orange ACC 12V power to the rest of the Switches, the constant LEDs, and the PSI Guage.
Black Ground Wire goes to two connections on each Switch and to the PSI Guage.
The Red/Black/Green wires go to the Pressure Sensor
Gray Wire goes to the AUX Fuel Xfer Pump
Green Wire Goes to the Front LED Driving Lights Relay
White wire goes to the Reverse LED Pod Lights/Relay
Yellow Wire Goes to the Bed/Cap Relay
Blue Wire goes to the Air Compressor Relay
Violet Wire goes to the Air Horn Selenoid

IMG_20210521_075016818.jpg

Mounted in Overhead Console on Desk:

IMG_20210521_075255081.jpg

Mounted in Truck:

IMG_20210521_170328155.jpg

The Power Switch to the Bed/Cap I still need to order in the Contura III
square type. I still want to paint it with a light coat of Black. Then I just have to
do all the rest of the wiring runs.

Malodave

This is another members here that did a Carbon Fiber Vinyl Wrap to his. This one does not have the PSI Display like mine does.

image-jpg.94605

Malodave

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think, what we want to do here is ADD the OEM switch bank to the DT, so it looks OEM. There are hundreds of options out there to get additional switches to work for what ever you want. This is not the objective of this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread