5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upfitter Switches

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There’s no “modules” for it. It’s literally the switch bank, and a fuse/relay box wired up like any other switch on a relay with an accessory (with the aux switch output wires completing the ground circuit on the relay coil). An HD switch bank will definitely plug right into a DT truck, fit perfect, and your existing switches will work. It’s just a matter of will the aux switches work- I believe so. It’s a gamble someone is going to have to be the first to try. You might possibly be able to determine without having to buy the switch bank first by finding out if the DT EVIC supports commercial settings (this is where the settings for the switches are). If you have AlfaOBD, enable these settings, and see if the commercial settings menu shows up in the EVIC (you might need the windows version to access some of these):
CBC Features: Configuration Aux Switches PTO- SIX SWITCHES
LIN & Misc: ASBM Present- YES
CustSetMenu 1: Auxiliary Switches- 3-6 OPTION
If it works out, and you can get the aux switches to light up when you press them, then it’s a cake walk after that- add the six missing wires into the connector that plugs into the the switch bank, $15 fuse box, fuses and relays, output connectors, and wire up the box and mount in the engine bay somewhere.
Just tried it for the heck of it, but there is nothing showing up in the EVIC under commercial settings.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
There’s no “modules” for it. It’s literally the switch bank, and a fuse/relay box wired up like any other switch on a relay with an accessory (with the aux switch output wires completing the ground circuit on the relay coil). An HD switch bank will definitely plug right into a DT truck, fit perfect, and your existing switches will work. It’s just a matter of will the aux switches work- I believe so. It’s a gamble someone is going to have to be the first to try. You might possibly be able to determine without having to buy the switch bank first by finding out if the DT EVIC supports commercial settings (this is where the settings for the switches are). If you have AlfaOBD, enable these settings, and see if the commercial settings menu shows up in the EVIC (you might need the windows version to access some of these):
If it works out, and you can get the aux switches to light up when you press them, then it’s a cake walk after that- add the six missing wires into the connector that plugs into the the switch bank, $15 fuse box, fuses and relays, output connectors, and wire up the box and mount in the engine bay somewhere.
I got those 3 menus to show on the Android version of AlfaOBD. I'll change them in the morning and see if it pops up in the EVIC. If it does I'll order the switch bank and give it a whirl. Thanks for your continued knowledge in adding mods to these trucks.
Screenshot_20210526-205416.png Screenshot_20210526-205619.png Screenshot_20210526-205804.png

Swicago

Reaction score
Just tried as well. 2020 DT laramie. Enabled the 3 menu points as specified, but no Commercial Menu showed up. Even power cycled a few times and waited up to 5 minutes.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's possible it won't show due to the vehicle type.

I've had a few 2500 off road features I haven't been able to enable on my 3500 with air assist rear.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just tried it for the heck of it, but there is nothing showing up in the EVIC under commercial settings.

I got those 3 menus to show on the Android version of AlfaOBD. I'll change them in the morning and see if it pops up in the EVIC. If it does I'll order the switch bank and give it a whirl. Thanks for your continued knowledge in adding mods to these trucks.
View attachment 94721 View attachment 94722 View attachment 94723

Just tried as well. 2020 DT laramie. Enabled the 3 menu points as specified, but no Commercial Menu showed up. Even power cycled a few times and waited up to 5 minutes.
Alright, thanks guys. This still leaves two unknowns: Does the LIN Bus need to see the aux switches in order to tell the EVIC to populate the menu? Or, are those settings just currently not programmed to work on a DT, even though the changes are successfully being made?
I reached out to the HD owners over on HDRams that do not have the switches, to make those same changes, and report if the commercial menu shows up for them. That will answer question number one.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

View attachment 94721 View attachment 94722 View attachment 94723

So, someone with an HD Ram enabled the settings in AlfaOBD, and the commercial menu showed up, so the hardware is not needed to see if it’s possible. The TRX is a DT, and is available with the same 6 switch bank as the HDs, so this should be possible. Just possibly those settings are set to not programmed. Also, looking through the TRX owner’s manual, it describes the switch settings as programmable through the Uconnect settings, so maybe check in the radio settings to see if they might have shown up there.

Swicago

Reaction score
So, someone with an HD Ram enabled the settings in AlfaOBD, and the commercial menu showed up, so the hardware is not needed to see if it’s possible. The TRX is a DT, and is available with the same 6 switch bank as the HDs, so this should be possible. Just possibly those settings are set to not programmed. Also, looking through the TRX owner’s manual, it describes the switch settings as programmable through the Uconnect settings, so maybe check in the radio settings to see if they might have shown up there.
I just tried it again (2020 DT laramie) and checked on the Uconnect. Nothing under settings or as an extra menu(like climate) or as a uconnect app. I guess someone may have to buy the module and see if it works.

SOWARDCUSTOMS

Reaction score
I just tried it again (2020 DT laramie) and checked on the Uconnect. Nothing under settings or as an extra menu(like climate) or as a uconnect app. I guess someone may have to buy the module and see if it works.
Ive made changes on alpha that havent shown up till the next day.. Added ventilated seats..

Nick57

Reaction score
So to bring up and old thread... Are there any updates on this? I'm going to be getting the tazer dt and it looks like you can add the AUX switches in it. I still would highly prefer to have the "factory" switch panel. Has anyone tried it with the tazer dt yet????

kc9umr

Reaction score
So to bring up and old thread... Are there any updates on this? I'm going to be getting the tazer dt and it looks like you can add the AUX switches in it. I still would highly prefer to have the "factory" switch panel. Has anyone tried it with the tazer dt yet????
a bit late... I have the Tazer, have enabled "AUX SWITCHES" in the menu, and no "new" menus have shown up on the radio. I don't have the switch bank, though. I'm looking to buy one (moparparts is sold out), and then experiment a little. If the original functions all work, then it might be time to try tinkering with an arduino to control an external relay box, if the switch logic can be accessed...

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
a bit late... I have the Tazer, have enabled "AUX SWITCHES" in the menu, and no "new" menus have shown up on the radio. I don't have the switch bank, though. I'm looking to buy one (moparparts is sold out), and then experiment a little. If the original functions all work, then it might be time to try tinkering with an arduino to control an external relay box, if the switch logic can be accessed...
The tazer is going to give you a false negative because the aux switches setting they use is carried over from the 4th gen. 4th gens used 5 switches, and CustSetMenu 1: Auxiliary Switches CSM Present is set to “switch 2-5 option”, whereas the 5th gen uses six switches, and that setting needs to be set at “switch 3-6 option”.
If you have AlfaOBD you can re-try with it. I now have a few TRX BCM configurations, and one setting is different for the aux switches than I posted earlier in the thread:
On HD trucks, CBC Features: Configuration Aux Switches PTO is set to “SIX SWITCHES”.
On the DT trucks, that setting is set to “No AUX Switches are used”
LIN & Misc: ASBM Present gets set to “YES”
CustSetMenu 1: Auxiliary Switches CSM Present gets set to “switch 3-6 option”
If you have a pre-2021 truck, and those settings don’t do it, then those values are probably in a “not programmed” status in the BCM, and you would need something something like arduino to change that.

kc9umr

Reaction score
so, i might need to get AlphaOBD. luckily, i still have a balance on the giftcard i got.

I had to buy 68376641 which also comes with trailer levelling. I don't have air suspension, so i suspect that switch won't do anything. the other option was 68376647 which has the right vehicle control switches, but has PTO instead of AUX-6. I'm wondering if setting it to 6 switches, even with the PTO panel, would make it act like it had 6 switches.

I've got a 2020 Rebel.

Step 1 will be just plugging the new panel in. If vehicle controls (FT/RR sensors, traction, and tow/haul) work, that's a small victory.

Then I'll try the Tazer menu setting to see what happens (with a reboot). If I get a dash menu setting, cool. I'm 1/2 way there. I'm not hopeful there - so step 2.5 will be seeing what I can do with AlphaOBD.

The final challenge will be pulling signals to drive relays, if i can get the switch settings working and LEDs to light on and off. That might require a custom harness or something(?). Did I miss anything in the thread where anyone's tried to figure out the wiring for the relay box?

kc9umr

Reaction score
...and using an arduino to look for some logic signal and then respond appropriately to drive a relay - well, that's a lot easier to program than it will be to use the logic analyzer or scope to see what all the different wires are doing at any given time. hopefully there's a pin assigned to each function....

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The final challenge will be pulling signals to drive relays, if i can get the switch settings working and LEDs to light on and off. That might require a custom harness or something(?). Did I miss anything in the thread where anyone's tried to figure out the wiring for the relay box?
Here’s the positions of the six aux switch signal wires in the connector that is plugged into the switch bank-
7688557F-4A07-4F74-9C86-DA076C3D5798.jpeg
The terminals for that connector are TE Connectivity 1393365-2
For each relay:
The aux switch signal wire goes to pin 86, and completes ground, NOT power.
Use constant battery power for pins 85 and 30.Do not use switched power, as that is what the aux switch settings are for- to set each switch as battery or ignition power, etc.
Pin 87 is the aux output.
Here’s one of the relay boxes that people use in the engine bay when adding the factory aux switches to the HDs-

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are lot of people who would pay for optional factory installed programable AUX Switches like Jeep has on the Wrangler.

If I was King of the world there would be wired pigtails under the hood, under the dash, and under the bed.

Additional options would be powered when:

(1) Interior dome light is illuminated
(2) Cargo lamp is illuminated
(3) Low beam headlights are illuminated
(4) High beam headlights are illuminated

kc9umr

Reaction score
AV8OR- We're a heck of a lot closer than we were.... or at least I am.

Jimmy seems to have a wealth of information we haven't had before. If we can get the switches ACTIVATED (i.e., they light up when you push a button, and they send voltages to the pins he called out above), then we just need to get the wires to the relay panel under the hood.

I am thinking of putting an Ethernet RJ45 jack on the back of the panel, and putting connections in parallel to the harness shown above - there's space, and it would keep me from needing to either mod the existing harness, or build a Y.

Then again, if the vehicle harness pins are unpopulated, i could populate them and still feed them to an RJ45 (which would take all of the signals I need to the panel in a simple, easy to route, cable (with a shield if I opted for cat6)

I wonder if we could get Tazer to switch the aux switch menu setting to match what Jimmy hinted at in the alpha OBD setup. if not, well, arduino might be able to handle it. My switch panel will arrive in a week or so. I can install it and check those pins with an oscope and see what happens.

Jimmy- any idea what the output would be for the trailer levelling switch? (Does it drive a discrete pin, or create CANbus commands?)

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
AV8OR- We're a heck of a lot closer than we were.... or at least I am.

Jimmy seems to have a wealth of information we haven't had before. If we can get the switches ACTIVATED (i.e., they light up when you push a button, and they send voltages to the pins he called out above), then we just need to get the wires to the relay panel under the hood.

I am thinking of putting an Ethernet RJ45 jack on the back of the panel, and putting connections in parallel to the harness shown above - there's space, and it would keep me from needing to either mod the existing harness, or build a Y.

Then again, if the vehicle harness pins are unpopulated, i could populate them and still feed them to an RJ45 (which would take all of the signals I need to the panel in a simple, easy to route, cable (with a shield if I opted for cat6)

I wonder if we could get Tazer to switch the aux switch menu setting to match what Jimmy hinted at in the alpha OBD setup. if not, well, arduino might be able to handle it. My switch panel will arrive in a week or so. I can install it and check those pins with an oscope and see what happens.

Jimmy- any idea what the output would be for the trailer levelling switch? (Does it drive a discrete pin, or create CANbus commands?)
I think you might be over complicating things with adding the signal wires. They are currently no populated on the switch bank connector, so just grab the terminals listed above, crimp them on the wires, and insert them into the connector. Run those six wires to pin 86 on each of the six relays using the terminals supplied with the relay box kit.
I’m sure tazer could make it so the CSM is set for the 3-6 switch option, but they should also do one for the 1-4 switch option for those with the switch bank that has the trailer reverse steering knob. Even so, who knows when they would even implement it. I’d forget about the tazer, and just get AlfaOBD. It’s a much more powerful tool. The switches on the switch bank send messages via LINbus. Changing the setting LIN & Misc: ASBM Present (Auxiliary Switch Bank Module) to YES *should* activate the aux switches to where they will work in their default mode- 1&2 are battery, 3-6 are ignition, and all are latching. So, that setting should tell the BCM to start acknowledging the messages from the aux switch section of the switch bank. CustSetMenu 1: Auxiliary Switches CSM Present is the setting that puts the aux switch settings in the radio (not in the EVIC like the HD Rams). One other thing to consider on why the settings menu might not show up in the radio- as far as I know, the aux switches are only available on 2021 DT Rams with the 12” radio. That could mean you might have to have a 12” radio that has 39.xx software version, as previous versions might not be capable of that setting menu.

I’m not sure what you mean by “trailer leveling switch” in your last question.

kc9umr

Reaction score
I think you might be over complicating things with adding the signal wires. They are currently no populated on the switch bank connector, so just grab the terminals listed above, crimp them on the wires, and insert them into the connector. Run those six wires to pin 86 on each of the six relays using the terminals supplied with the relay box kit.
I’m sure tazer could make it so the CSM is set for the 3-6 switch option, but they should also do one for the 1-4 switch option for those with the switch bank that has the trailer reverse steering knob. Even so, who knows when they would even implement it. I’d forget about the tazer, and just get AlfaOBD. It’s a much more powerful tool. The switches on the switch bank send messages via LINbus. Changing the setting LIN & Misc: ASBM Present (Auxiliary Switch Bank Module) to YES *should* activate the aux switches to where they will work in their default mode- 1&2 are battery, 3-6 are ignition, and all are latching. So, that setting should tell the BCM to start acknowledging the messages from the aux switch section of the switch bank. CustSetMenu 1: Auxiliary Switches CSM Present is the setting that puts the aux switch settings in the radio (not in the EVIC like the HD Rams). One other thing to consider on why the settings menu might not show up in the radio- as far as I know, the aux switches are only available on 2021 DT Rams with the 12” radio. That could mean you might have to have a 12” radio that has 39.xx software version, as previous versions might not be capable of that setting menu.

I’m not sure what you mean by “trailer leveling switch” in your last question.

This is the panel I ordered.

I suspect the "ALT Trailer Height" button will either throw a code, or just not do anything, since I don't have that option. If it causes issues, cutting traces on the PCB is easy enough.

What OBD interface do you use? I see a bunch that Alpha says do work under some circumstances.... I was thinking about just buying the USB version and then running the PC version, although bluetooth would be much nicer for "on the fly" things. I think I can leave the tazer in to work as a security bypass.... i hope...

I don't have the 12" stereo (have the non-HD Radio 8.4), so hopefully that's not a deal breaker for getting this working. I LIKE the 12" stereos, but the upgrade costs aren't worth it for the time being....

I REALLY appreciate your help on this. 1633783542707.png

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is the panel I ordered.

I suspect the "ALT Trailer Height" button will either throw a code, or just not do anything, since I don't have that option. If it causes issues, cutting traces on the PCB is easy enough.

What OBD interface do you use? I see a bunch that Alpha says do work under some circumstances.... I was thinking about just buying the USB version and then running the PC version, although bluetooth would be much nicer for "on the fly" things. I think I can leave the tazer in to work as a security bypass.... i hope...

I don't have the 12" stereo (have the non-HD Radio 8.4), so hopefully that's not a deal breaker for getting this working. I LIKE the 12" stereos, but the upgrade costs aren't worth it for the time being....

I REALLY appreciate your help on this. View attachment 107628
Ok, now I see what you’re saying about the alt trailer height switch. It’ll be fine, it just won’t do anything. There won’t be any faults stored by having it.
I definitely recommend the windows version over the android version, and in this case, you probably must use the windows version in case the ASBM Present setting doesn’t populate for your BCM variant. I will always recommend the OBDLINK MX+ because it can connect to every module without the blue adapter, and I know for a fact it is capable of making every setting change. If you get a USB interface, go with the OBDLINK EX.

kc9umr

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice!! I may put a drop of glue and some black paint on the "unuseable" button, since it won't have any function, and can't be repurposed. we'll see.

I will try and document as I go on this one. Seems like there's been a lot of interest, but noone's taken it to the end of the road to make it happen yet. Now I just need to figure out what I want the switches to do.... I have a light bar for the front, so that's obviously one (ignition).... but with only 5 to chose from....

Now, IF I remember right, *IF* the menu ever showed up on the head unit - I could, in theory, chose battery / ignition and momentary/latching for all of them, right?

Users who are viewing this thread