5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upfitter Switches

TravisH

Reaction score
I have the 8.4 non-nav and alfaobd windows. I could try this in a little while. No switches though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick57

Reaction score
So believing for a sec that we get this to work, do you think the ALT Trailer Height button would operate my airride suspension?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So believing for a sec that we get this to work, do you think the ALT Trailer Height button would operate my airride suspension?

No.

It's for the HD trucks to lower the rear bags 1" to a level stance and requires a load ~500-600lbs in the bed to activate.

Nick57

Reaction score
ok so basically even if we to get this to work it won't work with the DT's that have the airride...

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
ok so basically even if we to get this to work it won't work with the DT's that have the airride...

For air ride control? Not likely.

As far as the Aux switch settings, assuming one can get the switch to work on the defaults and still can't get the CSM to show up in the radio, there are settings in AlfaOBD for the Switch Type, Power, and Holding that may work.

Nick57

Reaction score
For air ride control? Not likely.

As far as the Aux switch settings, assuming one can get the switch to work on the defaults and still can't get the CSM to show up in the radio, there are settings in AlfaOBD for the Switch Type, Power, and Holding that may work.
<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/KeTVw7VjcTJok" width="480" height="480" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="
">via GIPHY</a></p>

This is how I feel knowing this won't work the way I want it to... lol

kc9umr

Reaction score
Jimmy - might need your help. Or I might need someone with AlphaOBD in Iowa.

Plugged the new module in.

Backlights worked. Truck knew there was a problem with parking sensors when I unplugged it.

Buttons did NOT work (park sense, Tow/Haul, Traction).
Aux Buttons did nothing.

I did notice that on the original panel, cable plugs in locking tab UP. On the new module, the cable plugs in locking tab DOWN.

Jimmy, this is where you mgiht be able to help (you seem to know all things electrical here) - are the connector pinouts the same? If they are (at least for the truck control switches), then i think it's just an AlphaOBD issue....

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Jimmy - might need your help. Or I might need someone with AlphaOBD in Iowa.

Plugged the new module in.

Backlights worked. Truck knew there was a problem with parking sensors when I unplugged it.

Buttons did NOT work (park sense, Tow/Haul, Traction).
Aux Buttons did nothing.

I did notice that on the original panel, cable plugs in locking tab UP. On the new module, the cable plugs in locking tab DOWN.

Jimmy, this is where you mgiht be able to help (you seem to know all things electrical here) - are the connector pinouts the same? If they are (at least for the truck control switches), then i think it's just an AlphaOBD issue....
The pinouts are the same for that connector on all Ram trucks- power, ground, and linbus. If the aux buttons were to work, the six missing aux output wires don’t even need to be present on that connector. The connector port is upside down on the aux button equipped switch bank vs the piano key style switches on both HD and DT trucks. The linbus messages for the button features, such as traction control, tow/haul, and park sense, are the same between HD and DT Rams. We know this because some of the applicable piano key style switch bank part numbers are the same between HDs and DTs. Therefore, the traction control, tow/haul, and park sense buttons on any HD switch bank part number *should* work on a DT truck.
To start with, if you plug your original switch bank back in, without doing anything with AlfaOBD, does everything immediately start working again?

kc9umr

Reaction score
Yes, plugging the originals back in results in things working. This one DOES have the "extra" button (trailer height adj?) that my truck doesnt support...

One thing i need to try is disabling the tazer aux switch settings and possibly removing the tazer....

kc9umr

Reaction score
OK. Removed the tazer - no dice.

Is there maybe an enable line (ground or high) to cause the vehicle to talk to the "soft keys") (as compared to the piano keys)? It doesn't look like it, based o the pinout Jimmy provided, but the truck also backlights the buttons, which looks to be controlled by the dimmer?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
OK. Removed the tazer - no dice.

Is there maybe an enable line (ground or high) to cause the vehicle to talk to the "soft keys") (as compared to the piano keys)? It doesn't look like it, based o the pinout Jimmy provided, but the truck also backlights the buttons, which looks to be controlled by the dimmer?
There’s no setting other than Lin & Misc: ASBM Present, which would be for the aux buttons. You might need a switch bank that doesn’t have the HD air suspension button, since a DT BCM doesn’t know what that is. Can you scan each module for faults and see what codes you may have?

kc9umr

Reaction score
I'll see what i can find. would those be "normal" OBD2 codes, or do i need something more "invasive" like Alpha?

I might contact the guy I bought this form and see if i can't swap it for the non-air suspension, but WITH PTO. PTO would never work, but that would be OK, too. I also wonder if there's some PCB differences. Realistically, there's probably a chip resistor for each button that, if removed, identifies it differently. not willing to do surgery without schematics, though.

Thank you for your patience and help!

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'll see what i can find. would those be "normal" OBD2 codes, or do i need something more "invasive" like Alpha?

I might contact the guy I bought this form and see if i can't swap it for the non-air suspension, but WITH PTO. PTO would never work, but that would be OK, too. I also wonder if there's some PCB differences. Realistically, there's probably a chip resistor for each button that, if removed, identifies it differently. not willing to do surgery without schematics, though.

Thank you for your patience and help!
You need to use AlfaOBD, because you want to get the faults that are stored in each individual module. All the regular scan tools, like the ones they use to scan your vehicle at the parts stores, are only capable of reading faults in the engine module.

Aardvarkeng

Reaction score
I have an 2019 1500 with 8.4C. On the oem switches I have tow/haul, frt & rear park assist and traction control. I would like to get this working also. I programmed with Alfa and I can see the aux switch settings. But when I try to change the type (momentary,etc) it changes right back to how it was. It does this for all 6 aux switches.
I do not have the ASBM physically installed as I have not bought yet. I plan on getting the 68376647 unit. Do you think the reason that the settings don’t stay is that when the module is queried it does not respond?

I’m trying to figure out if it would work before I bite the bullet and buy the new switch bank.
Thanks!

TravisH

Reaction score
I have an 2019 1500 with 8.4C. On the oem switches I have tow/haul, frt & rear park assist and traction control. I would like to get this working also. I programmed with Alfa and I can see the aux switch settings. But when I try to change the type (momentary,etc) it changes right back to how it was. It does this for all 6 aux switches.
I do not have the ASBM physically installed as I have not bought yet. I plan on getting the 68376647 unit. Do you think the reason that the settings don’t stay is that when the module is queried it does not respond?

I’m trying to figure out if it would work before I bite the bullet and buy the new switch bank.
Thanks!

What did you change in Alfa? Getting them to show up in a 2019 with 8.4” is a good sign.

I think you are going to want 68376640ae. It looks like 683766477 has PTO instead instead of AUX6.

Last edited:

Aardvarkeng

Reaction score
What did you change in Alfa? Getting them to show up in a 2019 with 8.4” is a good sign.

I think you are going to want 68376640ae. It looks like 683766477 has PTO instead instead of AUX6.

Thanks for replying- the part number I selected was not more than me putting together what options I have and the part number selector posted in the forums here so thanks for the tip on that.
As for the Alfa parameters that I modded, I can’t remember 100%, but I know the ASBM enabled and I believe the selection for 6 aux switches. I will go online with the truck and see what looks different. I do know I changed the values that were listed in this forum by (I believe) Jimmy07.

I installed a reverse beeper but don’t want it on all the time. Going to work at 5am I’m sure the neighbors wouldn’t like it. So I also installed a RF relay inline with the reverse signal. I operate by one of the homelink buttons. It works great except that sometimes it just turns on by itself. So I would rather have physical switches.

There are always things to turn on that I haven’t thought of yet, I’m sure.

TravisH

Reaction score
I set:
Lin & Misc: ASBM Present to Yes
CustSetMenu1: Auxiliary Switches CSM Present: 3-6 Option

I had a menu under settings show up for aux switches but it only had 1-4. I used Tazer to do a “full reboot” which usually helps me get applied changes to take effect right away. After that I lost the aux settings menu and can’t get it back.

TravisH

Reaction score
I ordered 68376640AE today. I guess we’ll see :)

Still need to figure out my aux settings disappeared.

Users who are viewing this thread