5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Update: DO NOT BUY RAM WITH RAMBOX - Warping and Alignment Issue with 2019 Rams

Spinar

Reaction score
Had mine replaced by my dealership Lakeridge Crysler ( best dealership in Ontario!!!) fit is excellent now. Yes was a bit of a wait for parts but was supplied a loaner while truck was in shop.
so no worries of getting to work. They might warp again but truck is under warranty for 7 yrs. Back it will go till i flip it on next one. I will post pics for proof on weekend.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bought my 2020 new on the lot with warpage, so it doesn’t seem to be due to time, nor have they fixed the issue in 2020. I’m not so sensitive to this concern, as it seemed most trucks on the lot showed the issue and both sides still seal against water ingress. The rambox feature for me was critical in my purchase decision and I decided I can live with this fault for the added function.

c79beadfb3ad1e2e7436d61f0c909a4e.jpg

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's a great picture, and shows what I think causes the warping. The plastic piece on top warps, which pulls up and causes the painted section (which is also plastic) to warp as well. You can see there is a larger gap between the end of the plastic top and the painted section. And from this angle you can see it curves up from end to end. Compare this to a 4th gen and you'll see there is a huge difference. 4th gens also used a single latch point, so I'm not convinced that's the root cause for this on 5th gens. I don't know why the top piece warps, but I suspect they changed the composition of the plastic for the 5th gen redesign. If you can prevent the top piece from warping you'll cure the problem IMO.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That's a great picture, and shows what I think causes the warping. The plastic piece on top warps, which pulls up and causes the painted section (which is also plastic) to warp as well. You can see there is a larger gap between the end of the plastic top and the painted section. And from this angle you can see it curves up from end to end. Compare this to a 4th gen and you'll see there is a huge difference. 4th gens also used a single latch point, so I'm not convinced that's the root cause for this on 5th gens. I don't know why the top piece warps, but I suspect they changed the composition of the plastic for the 5th gen redesign. If you can prevent the top piece from warping you'll cure the problem IMO.
I heard the 4th gen lids were metal instead of plastic

BugGuy

Reaction score

MIne pretty much looks just like the picture. The cap is warped more than the lid. Wonder if it's only the cap that's warped and if removed, the lid would return to normal?? Not that I would EVER try it, but I wonder if the use of heat could remove the warping??

ppowell1983

Reaction score
Bought my 2020 new on the lot with warpage, so it doesn’t seem to be due to time, nor have they fixed the issue in 2020. I’m not so sensitive to this concern, as it seemed most trucks on the lot showed the issue and both sides still seal against water ingress. The rambox feature for me was critical in my purchase decision and I decided I can live with this fault for the added function.

c79beadfb3ad1e2e7436d61f0c909a4e.jpg

I have the same thoughts you do, I noticed it and determined the benefits outweighed the warping issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BugGuy

Reaction score
Something I found on another forum that makes a lot of sense:

"The lid is warped of course, but nothing can be done about that, it’s a long piece of plastic being held down in the center and pushed up on the edges by a spring. "

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Beautiful! That looks really great. Hope that holds up for you, you should be really happy with that fitment.

RAMpage

Reaction score
Well had mine replaced last week finally and they look perfect now all around. How long will it last? Who knows. Now that they know exactly how to fix it though, shouldn't be as much trouble next time.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
You'd think as long as Rambox has been around, it'd be ironed out by now.

This is only a 5th gen issue and was not an issue on the 4th gens. I read somewhere that Ram changed vendors for the rambox. I don't know if that's true or not but would make sense. I'm a little disappointed with mine, especially the drivers side. It seems to have gotten a little worse in the six months I've owned this truck.

Cravenfan

Reaction score
No issue with mine...fingers crossed. The functionality is outstanding...

Msgtowens

Reaction score
Had mine replaced 2 months ago and they are warping again. Less than 7500 miles. I have a 2015 and no issues because they have some small amount of metal in them. Used a magnet on 2015 and somewhat sticks. On 2019 doesn't do anything.

Users who are viewing this thread