5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Update: DO NOT BUY RAM WITH RAMBOX - Warping and Alignment Issue with 2019 Rams

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Here are the "before" shots. I'll send the afters tomorrow. I am not sure where to get part numbers. Perhaps the body shop will send me a copy of the paperwork. All I did was sigh a paper when I dropped it off, and another when I picked it up.
0a30c9e470e19ad3dcaad199e7da525f.jpg
bc4bc773d75a95c63a75859f1b5ebfb6.jpg
50b709dfdc39e9ec45022ed8ee0d8e5d.jpg
e29e74ec9b88bdd47879a8f5690bc040.jpg
8c15daf73ca229e7077e667196efd4d6.jpg
0b8cab3717d35c538eb63fe4082442ff.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Yeah one of mine looks at least that bad so I’m definitely interested in this fix

natsb

Reaction score
Here are the "after" shots. I don't see any part numbers anywhere. Any particular shot you want to see?
a9168a716802746f066fee6794886fe2.jpg
d9705fc4a149a84cf8979dbe2eaf6516.jpg
0ca02de0d61648351a701a762e736182.jpg

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here are the "after" shots. I don't see any part numbers anywhere. Any particular shot you want to see?
a9168a716802746f066fee6794886fe2.jpg
d9705fc4a149a84cf8979dbe2eaf6516.jpg
0ca02de0d61648351a701a762e736182.jpg

Curious where the steel clamps and screws are located? Mine look identical to your pics on my 2020 Ram, which also has warped lids.
998d405bb9bdee9b52c8434156c4cc86.jpg

natsb

Reaction score
Curious where the steel clamps and screws are located? Mine look identical to your pics on my 2020 Ram, which also has warped lids.
998d405bb9bdee9b52c8434156c4cc86.jpg
Under the plastic maybe? I did take the truck back the day after I got it because the top corner was sticking out again. The technical came out with a screwdriver and wrench. He took about five minutes to get the corner back in. He said " This is a lot easier since they got rid of the tape and use clamps and screws now."

I tried to watch what he was doing, but was told to stay back six feet and put a mask on. I didn't have a mask, so I had to sit in the truck.

On a sad note, he said he fixes so many RamBoxes that he can do it blindfolded now.

Kxlexus

Reaction score
Be really nice if someone could find a FCA document or Star case we could point the service managers to and say;”do this” That’s about the only chance I have of getting mine fixed

Zeeya

Reaction score
Build date 5/19. Mine clip in as those do. One side replaced - just the top and painted panel. I had to loosen screws around lid on painted section, pull out and push in at top to get it to snap into clip. Lowered and tightened back up.
top plastic panel was already on, maybe something under there

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Under the plastic maybe? I did take the truck back the day after I got it because the top corner was sticking out again. The technical came out with a screwdriver and wrench. He took about five minutes to get the corner back in. He said " This is a lot easier since they got rid of the tape and use clamps and screws now."

I tried to watch what he was doing, but was told to stay back six feet and put a mask on. I didn't have a mask, so I had to sit in the truck.

On a sad note, he said he fixes so many RamBoxes that he can do it blindfolded now.

This thread has died without a resolution, so I'm bumping it. Do you have contact information for this tech or dealer he works for? You don't have any helpful information for us here and I'd really like to see if mine can be improved. My dealership is clueless about what to do to fix it.

Build date 5/19. Mine clip in as those do. One side replaced - just the top and painted panel. I had to loosen screws around lid on painted section, pull out and push in at top to get it to snap into clip. Lowered and tightened back up.
top plastic panel was already on, maybe something under there
Did this fix the fitment of your lids? I'm not really following what you're saying there. Did you replace anything?

Zeeya

Reaction score
This thread has died without a resolution, so I'm bumping it. Do you have contact information for this tech or dealer he works for? You don't have any helpful information for us here and I'd really like to see if mine can be improved. My dealership is clueless about what to do to fix it.

Did this fix the fitment of your lids? I'm not really following what you're saying there. Did you replace anything?
Dealership replaced the top section which is the hard plastic and frame of lid. They re-used the original painted section and clipped it onto the new upper part. It is (was) better, but it is warping as well. This is a before replacement and after replacement picture. Like I mentioned. The replacement is starting to warp now, but has not reached the level of first picture
IMG_8097.jpg IMG_9423.jpg

Bluesurf

Reaction score
I believe that FCA must fabricate an all steel or aluminum compartment door and accept their cost saving failure. If they scrap the all plastic doors there will be no warping.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I believe that FCA must fabricate an all steel or aluminum compartment door and accept their cost saving failure. If they scrap the all plastic doors there will be no warping.
Sounds right. Plastic just isn’t going to work well when beside a sheetmetal panel. Too dissimilar in materials and how they react to heat/elements.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Dealership replaced the top section which is the hard plastic and frame of lid. They re-used the original painted section and clipped it onto the new upper part. It is (was) better, but it is warping as well. This is a before replacement and after replacement picture. Like I mentioned. The replacement is starting to warp now, but has not reached the level of first picture

Thanks for the update. I'm sorry to hear they're starting to warp again, but if they just replaced with the same parts, the same thing is going to happen to the new parts. It's already been mentioned many times in this thread...bad design and no apparent concern to fix it the right way.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
My dealership said they weren't aware of any new fixes for this when I went in a couple weeks ago. Other than replacing the black section of the lid. Also said they're reluctant to even try to adjust anything because they don't want to exacerbate the problem. I said "no worries, I wouldn't let you anyway" LOL.

ywhat2002

Reaction score
My dealership said they weren't aware of any new fixes for this when I went in a couple weeks ago. Other than replacing the black section of the lid. Also said they're reluctant to even try to adjust anything because they don't want to exacerbate the problem. I said "no worries, I wouldn't let you anyway" LOL.
I was told if you remove box assembly there are shims that need to be removed under boxes. Some need one front or one rear shim removed to correct lid to body alignment.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
I was told if you remove box assembly there are shims that need to be removed under boxes. Some need one front or one rear shim removed to correct lid to body alignment.
I need at least one of mine fixed. I’ll definitely bring it up the next time I’m at the dealer.

Kxlexus

Reaction score
That won’t fix the problem of the warped tops. Has nothing whatsoever to do with the top part of the lids curling up on the ends and separating from the rest of the lid

MF2020

Reaction score
Agreed!! Although mine are not bad and certainly functional as is, it would be nice if they aligned better with the vehicle. This being said, it is still one of my all-time favorite features of this truck. Had them on my Ram 2011 and learned how valuable they are then. Now we have power and lights and auto locks, so really quite improved from the original design. But you have said it best here, time to take these things to the next level and get some kind of "metal" in these RamBox covers!!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Agreed!! Although mine are not bad and certainly functional as is, it would be nice if they aligned better with the vehicle. This being said, it is still one of my all-time favorite features of this truck. Had them on my Ram 2011 and learned how valuable they are then. Now we have power and lights and auto locks, so really quite improved from the original design. But you have said it best here, time to take these things to the next level and get some kind of "metal" in these RamBox covers!!
I'm not going to hold my breath on this one. Maybe if is was a more popular option they'd be more interested in fixing it. But I can see it being more cost effective for them to stop offering the option and ignore the complaints. Hell, at this point I'd gladly pay for an aftermarket part to fix this. I'm happy with the rambox option, I would be even happier with it if the lids aligned correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread