5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Update: DO NOT BUY RAM WITH RAMBOX - Warping and Alignment Issue with 2019 Rams

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not going to hold my breath on this one. Maybe if is was a more popular option they'd be more interested in fixing it. But I can see it being more cost effective for them to stop offering the option and ignore the complaints. Hell, at this point I'd gladly pay for an aftermarket part to fix this. I'm happy with the rambox option, I would be even happier with it if the lids aligned correctly.

That's what we need - a third party to start offering replacement metal lids for the DT RamBox models. How about paint to match options? Aluminum diamond plate Might look amazing or dreadful)? Maybe a reinforcement plate that uses your existing parts?

Someone with metal fab experience could run with the ball here and show Ram how it's done.

Niu45

Reaction score
So after a delay due to not wanting to worry about the dumb rambox lids during a global pandemic I took the truck back in to the dealer for recall repairs and advised my FCA executive referrals contact that the truck was going back in and I wanted an update on status of the rambox fix. Dealer came back the next day and said they are going to get replacement lids and paint them in house. He also stated there was no guarantee that it will fix the issue... That was almost a month ago and still waiting on the parts to come in. Oh yeah and last week my rear window started leaking on my kid during a thunderstorm. Assuming this is due to another crappy seal on the third brake light. I thought they were supposed to have fixed that on the 5th gen? I had the same issue on my 4th gen. Anyways with working from home not ending anytime soon It will just continue to sit in the garage collecting dust.

Last edited:

Rototerrier

Reaction score
It think you are nuts to let them touch the boxes. 1) The paint match might be horrible. 2) The paint job might be horrible 3) They might break something in the process 4) Will probably get overspray everywhere 5) It might come out exactly the same 6) It might warp after a few months or even warp worse. 7) Any and all of these.

There's always the off chance that they get everything perfect AND fix the problem.....but I find that laughably implausible.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It think you are nuts to let them touch the boxes. 1) The paint match might be horrible. 2) The paint job might be horrible 3) They might break something in the process 4) Will probably get overspray everywhere 5) It might come out exactly the same 6) It might warp after a few months or even warp worse. 7) Any and all of these.

There's always the off chance that they get everything perfect AND fix the problem.....but I find that laughably implausible.

This is exactly right. The issue is with the design, and they haven’t changed it. Swapping new parts and going through all of that effort isn’t solving the issue... but opens you to potential of new issues.

My alignment and warpage are about as bad as anyone I’ve seen... but I’m still happy I chose to purchase the Rambox and not losing any sleep over this. The utility of these boxes is what I was after and I use them daily.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I may let them have a go at mine. I’m hoping that enough issues being raised to them cause them to do something different. Isn’t it also true that if you have an issue with something under warranty and the same part causes issues past warranty then the repair could be covered again since there under warranty fix didn’t work?

Kxlexus

Reaction score
I really wish Ram would improve the design of the Rambox. It’s the only flaw on my truck. I am still glad I bought them but they were just as bad when I bought the truck new a year ago as they are now. I use them a lot.
I don’t see the point in having mine fixed until/if they improve the design. I don’t see that happening until the 6th gen or at the earliest, whenever the mid-cycle refresh is. To do it any earlier opens them up to repairing thousands under warranty.

R.A. Fish.

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Longhorn Laramie 4 x 4 2500 6 ft bed with the ram box. I do not have an alignment issue the lids sit perfectly. But what I do have is the covers (aka metal skin) on the ram box is loose on both the passenger and driver side it is only on the front section before locks of the skin that's coming loose. It's as if the adhesive (or no ADHESIVE) is not sticking I can push on it and it goes back into place but doesn't stay in place long. I have only had this truck a month and will be taking it to the dealer this weekend to see what they say or will do about it.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a 2020 Longhorn Laramie 4 x 4 2500 6 ft bed with the ram box. I do not have an alignment issue the lids sit perfectly. But what I do have is the covers (aka metal skin) on the ram box is loose on both the passenger and driver side it is only on the front section before locks of the skin that's coming loose. It's as if the adhesive (or no ADHESIVE) is not sticking I can push on it and it goes back into place but doesn't stay in place long. I have only had this truck a month and will be taking it to the dealer this weekend to see what they say or will do about it.
I would take this to the dealer to fix. The 2500's still use the 4th gen sheet metal, and rambox lids, which do not have the same issues as the 5th gens. Sometimes I wish I would have just bought a 2500 LOL...but then I remember how much nicer the 1500's ride and drive.

laramie4x4

Reaction score
this thread convinced me not to get the rambox. Along with another thread on sunroof, i think if i spend some more time on this forum i might not but a Ram at all LOL

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
this thread convinced me not to get the rambox. Along with another thread on sunroof, i think if i spend some more time on this forum i might not but a Ram at all LOL

Yep, also two of my favorite options... “issues” aside. If you spend enough time online and take all reviews to heart, you’ll lose enjoyment in just about any product design out there.

I still use my Ramboxes on nearly a daily basis. Absolute game-changer for my uses and I’d have a hard time buying another truck without them. Love the innovation, and my fitment might rival any bad picture I’ve seen here.

The panoramic sunroof is such a fun upgrade over solid roof for my family. A drive in the mountains, viewing Fall colors, or seeing airplanes/stars through it has brought a lot of enjoyment to our travels.

Xhumeka

Reaction score
That's the problem with online forums - it's common for folks to spend time to post complaints, but when things work well people don't have the same incentive to spend time posting about it.

I have only owned my truck since March, but I have the sunroof, ramboxes, and multi-function tailgate. All work flawlessly and no problems with leaky sunroof, misaligned rambox nor malfunctioning multifunctioning tailgate. Hope I don't jinx myself ;)

CJR28

Reaction score
Coming from a truck without Ramboxes to one with it really is a huge upgrade. They are really useful and it would be very hard to go back to a truck without them. I do have slight warping on my passenger side but it honestly doesnt bother me that much nor has it gotten worse in the 9-10 months ive had this truck. That issue aside, i highly recommend them, just give the truck you decide to build a once over and if its that bad dont get the truck.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yeah, you probably need to leave :D

Honestly, I'm more about function over form. The rambox storage and bed divider makes this the most versatile truck I've ever owned. My next truck will have the rambox option too. Now the sunroof is another story, lol

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, you probably need to leave :D

Honestly, I'm more about function over form. The rambox storage and bed divider makes this the most versatile truck I've ever owned. My next truck will have the rambox option too. Now the sunroof is another story, lol
Can't agree more, I'll take a slight misalignment /warping considering the use I get from the ram boxes. It's a pickup truck after all. What folks need to understand that all manufacturers have there issues, just go to Ford and chevy forums for instance.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

TBMSport

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had mind adjusted at the dealer, but it's still a bit tacky looking. I see that there have been 3 revisions of the part number 68402078A(A/B/C), I suspect FCA is quietly attempting to address the problem. Whether the latest part number will be the final solution will reveal itself in time. I think the ultimate problem is that the plastic material is too thin (or at least too thin in the center section where there is tension from the latch). We all must keep in mind that one of the pro's/con's to the RAM truck, unlike GM (and to some extent Ford), is that we can pretty much spec our trucks anyway we want without having to take "packages." But this also means that FCA has to walk a tight rope to meet gov't regulations on weight which impacts towing ratings and fuel economy certifications. A few ounces here, a few more there adds up an also changes vehicle performance/safety performance. Obviously no OEM makes all of their parts, so just like us, they have to rely on suppliers who say that they can make the part and meet a certain requirement.

At any rate, I believe that that the long term solution will be an internal aluminum brace that will also slightly bow the center section up. My dealer offered to replace mine and I may take them up on it now that I see a new part number and I have it documented on the service records; but for now I think my truck has spent enough time at the dealer in its first 2 months of ownership.

Arth

Reaction score
Picked up a 2021. No warping yet but I can see the design still looks the same to my eye. Time will tell.

NewRebelOwner

Reaction score
Has there been any official documentation from FCA or a dealership stating they are aware of this issue? Dropping my truck off to the dealership tomorrow and they are already stating that the warping in the paint comes from the factory that way and there is nothing that can be done...

Users who are viewing this thread