5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uneven Tire Wear

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm having the Dynapro AT2s in 305/45/22 put on today, at the suggestion of the Discount Tire guys. I had planned on the continental AT, but they really hyped the ride and quiet on these. Hoping I'm not disappointed, but if they are too loud I can switch them to some Michelins
They are pretty quiet for the first 3,000 miles (like ALL new tires are) then they let their presence be known, but really only if your driving in total silence, no radio.
Pretty much all new A/T tires are quiet for the first couple thousand miles. It's when they get 10k or so on them they ALL get kind of noisy due to the rubber compound hardening as the tires heat cycle over and over hundreds/thousands of times.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They are pretty quiet for the first 3,000 miles (like ALL new tires are) then they let their presence be known, but really only if your driving in total silence, no radio.
Pretty much all new A/T tires are quiet for the first couple thousand miles. It's when they get 10k or so on them they ALL get kind of noisy due to the rubber compound hardening as the tires heat cycle over and over hundreds/thousands of times.

I'll have to touch back in a year or two and give an update. A little noise that I can't hear with radio on won't bother me. I'm hoping the ride quality stays as good as it is right now, or close to it.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
You have to decide what's more important, looks or quiet. The Hankook's aren't excessively loud, they're just not dead quiet like the Bridgestones.
If your priority is more quiet than looks, just get the Michelin LTX and be done.
LOVED my Michelin Defender tires...highly recommend!

TLOC

Reaction score
Ran across this post looking for tire pressure for my new Toyo OC ATIII's, on a '19 Laramie 4x4. Just wanted to add that they were installed at 15100 miles I rotated the Goodyears at 10k, totally amazing to me they looked like they had another 15k in them and evenly wore, go figure...🤙

Barqs

Reaction score
Ran across this post looking for tire pressure for my new Toyo OC ATIII's, on a '19 Laramie 4x4. Just wanted to add that they were installed at 15100 miles I rotated the Goodyears at 10k, totally amazing to me they looked like they had another 15k in them and evenly wore, go figure...🤙
How are your OC ATIII's in the rain? I had a set of ATII's on my daughter's Cherokee TH and they were decent for about 15k miles but then the wet weather traction fell off drastically to the point where they were scary to drive. My wife drove back from the Gulf Coast last weekend in the rain and told me to immediately replace them, even though they appeared to have about 80% tread left. I believe we had 20-25k miles on them in total, but had them less than two years. I have been told the III's are night and day better than the II's, but I am still shying away from Toyo's now and went with a set of Falken A/T Trails this time.

TLOC

Reaction score
How are your OC ATIII's in the rain? I had a set of ATII's on my daughter's Cherokee TH and they were decent for about 15k miles but then the wet weather traction fell off drastically to the point where they were scary to drive. My wife drove back from the Gulf Coast last weekend in the rain and told me to immediately replace them, even though they appeared to have about 80% tread left. I believe we had 20-25k miles on them in total, but had them less than two years. I have been told the III's are night and day better than the II's, but I am still shying away from Toyo's now and went with a set of Falken A/T Trails this time.
Well, sorry to say I got them last weekend drove to the house and there it sits in the garage with about 2.5 miles on them. Traveling this weekend so I'll give full review shortly, I heard the ATII's were horrible in the rain but thought Toyo got the compound right for the III's...🙏

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mine is wearing on the outside edge of both front tires, stock GY's.
I don't believe this is a geometry issue, I believe it's a tire not really suitable for the truck in terms of soft side wall and soft tread compound and nose weight all compounded by me taking corners as if I were in my Z06.
I intentionally hit the apex of corners of every corner I can and carry as much speed through the turn as I can sometimes hearing the tires saying no-mas pappi but definitely hear them gripping the pavement so I know where my issue is.

I suspect some are going through corners much more agressive than they believe they are.

Blue Streak Ram

Reaction score
After reading this, here’s my story. Had an alignment done at the dealer around the time I started having high speed vibrations. Can’t be sure if the vibration started before or after the alignment. Had the OEM Bridgestone’s balanced to see if it’s the tires. Slight improvement but still there. (28k miles by the way.) I figured it may just be the tires and they were close to being worn so I replaced them with Toyo AT3’s. Still have the vibration so I have an appointment next week with my dealer again.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After reading this, here’s my story. Had an alignment done at the dealer around the time I started having high speed vibrations. Can’t be sure if the vibration started before or after the alignment. Had the OEM Bridgestone’s balanced to see if it’s the tires. Slight improvement but still there. (28k miles by the way.) I figured it may just be the tires and they were close to being worn so I replaced them with Toyo AT3’s. Still have the vibration so I have an appointment next week with my dealer again.
Your lucky you made to it 28000 miles mine had issues from day 1😩

Ramajammer

Reaction score
It's a geometry setting up front that's causing this. The relationship between camber, caster and toe from the factory are not neutral on these Rams..
For some reason Ram sets the front end geometry up strange, probably to combat a bigger issue than tire wear.
Buz I think your on to the cause of the real problem, its not the brand of tire that's causing wear, its a geometry and alignment issue. I have a 2019 RAM 1500 Limited with air suspension it's currently at the Dealer with 17,400 Miles with excessive wear on the Front RH Outside Shoulder of the tire all others seem to be wearing at a similar rate. It drives and tracks straight and the Tire Pressures have always been maintained at 36 psi. I'm interested to hear what my dealer finds or has to say.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Buz I think your on to the cause of the real problem, its not the brand of tire that's causing wear, its a geometry and alignment issue. I have a 2019 RAM 1500 Limited with air suspension it's currently at the Dealer with 17,400 Miles with excessive wear on the Front RH Outside Shoulder of the tire all others seem to be wearing at a similar rate. It drives and tracks straight and the Tire Pressures have always been maintained at 36 psi. I'm interested to hear what my dealer finds or has to say.
Good luck my 19 lemon and my 21 both under 8000 miles with tires being rotated at 4500 miles and balanced all have bad shoulder wear with tires being at 36 psi always! Several dealers have told me it’s normal on these heavy new rams and the tires are cheap, but I call BS as I’ve had the same tires on another truck with over 30,000 miles that were not worn like these are at 5,000 miles, then they had the nerve to say it’s driving habits😩not! I say it’s in the design of the truck!

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good luck my 19 lemon and my 21 both under 8000 miles with tires being rotated at 4500 miles and balanced all have bad shoulder wear with tires being at 36 psi always! Several dealers have told me it’s normal on these heavy new rams and the tires are cheap, but I call BS as I’ve had the same tires on another truck with over 30,000 miles that were not worn like these are at 5,000 miles, then they had the nerve to say it’s driving habits😩not! I say it’s in the design of the truck!
I better look out, I’ll be blocked, I’ve been accused of just being negative on here🤷🏻‍♂️

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If it was the design of the truck then every single Ram on the road would have the issue. My 2020 BTS had almost 20K miles on it with only rotating the tires once, before I put larger tires on it, and the factory tires had no uneven wear

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't forget, those of us with air suspension have additional 'demons' to deal with on the front end geometry.
There is roughly a 3/4" tolerance in height of the front end at any given time. Combine that with the fact that in 'areo' mode the truck is lowering almost 3/4" at highway speed. The front end geometry in this scenario can never be perfect with the constant movement up and down.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it was the design of the truck then every single Ram on the road would have the issue. My 2020 BTS had almost 20K miles on it with only rotating the tires once, before I put larger tires on it, and the factory tires had no uneven wear
Same, my brother's truck is almost at 30k with his '20 ORG and my '21 BTS is at 15...no uneven wear issues between us.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Don't forget, those of us with air suspension have additional 'demons' to deal with on the front end geometry.
There is roughly a 3/4" tolerance in height of the front end at any given time. Combine that with the fact that in 'areo' mode the truck is lowering almost 3/4" at highway speed. The front end geometry in this scenario can never be perfect with the constant movement up and down.
That’s why I chose not to get air suspension. I’ve dealt with that in the past on tires that were $1k a piece and have no desire to do that again, even with my $500 a piece tires.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 19 was not air ride and the 21 is, they both had the same issue, but you could be right!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So maybe more of an issue with the air suspension equipped trucks than anyone else. Would be interesting to see how many without air suspension have the issue.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would say air ride and the geometry changes they can make high or low would definitely be a tire wear item to look at. Alignment on high level and aero are differently different

kooz21

Reaction score
Add me to the list. 2021 with air suspension, Bridgestone Dueller tires, outside edge of the front passenger side tire was excessively worn. Got a rotation and alignment at 6700 miles hoping that would fix it. At 13k miles, the tire on that same wheel (which was perfectly fine at 6700 miles) is completely &!*#ed, totally bald on the outside edge. Ram told me alignment is only under warranty for 12k miles, so nothing they could do. But leave it with us for 5 days and we’ll check it out!

Took it back to where I got the alignment (not the dealership) and they were kind enough to give me a “buy two, get two” on tires. Alignment was only slightly out of spec, so I’m worried that the new tires are going to have the same fate.

One more thing. If you have air suspension, be sure the tech knows to put it in wheel alignment mode before doing the alignment. I thought that he would surely know, but he didn’t. He actually redid the alignment after I showed him. Maybe this wasn’t done at my first alignment and was part of the problem, but who knows.

In any case, I’m rocking a new set of Michelin Defenders and will be watching the wear patterns closely.

Users who are viewing this thread