5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UConnect Nav Guidance Volume setting

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd love to have him check it. But when I was there Friday, he seemed to not be interested in checking. I was a bit late for my original appointment so perhaps they were annoyed with me and that's why? But he kept saying that the has no easy way to get reports back to FCA of a problem and I'd have much better luck doing it myself, but he didn't offer any method to do that other than "keep an eye out for the satisfaction survey" that I may receive soon.

I guess I'll have to slam dealer service and some software bugs in the survey. LOL
Maybe go into UConnect and "Reset" the system. Its definitely hanging up somewhere.

Rich

Reaction score
I'm usually pretty good with this sort of stuff, but I don't think I've seen the reset yet, care to give me a hint?

Lots of people have been complaining about the default 15 setting, but I haven't found a fix yet.

grinch72

Reaction score
I've been trying to track down this major annoyance.

I went to the dealer, they are no help. They say that they checked and all vehicles do this, so it's not a problem with my BigHorn. Yes of course, it's a firmware/software problem in all units! LOL I guess their mindset is that if my truck is the same as others, then it's ok and working properly! LOL But this is a separate issue as this dealer doesn't seem to want to look into issues of this type (I have a list of several things like this).

When I first got my truck in January. and up until approximately two days ago (plus or minus, as I don't check this every day) the Nav Guidance Volume level setting would always default to 15. This is MUCH too loud! If you try to set it to a lower volume level (I find that 4 to be about right with the windows closed, it's not to soft, but loud enough to be heard over traffic and music), the setting would not hold. After starting the truck after it sat a while with the power off (about an hour, or over night), the Nav Guidance Volume level would reset itself to 15 again.

Now as of a couple days ago to talk about how it's working now: The Navigation Guidance volume setting is holding at my choice of 4! I don't know why it's holding now. but it is (with limited testing). Perhaps we received a blind software/firmware update to the UConnect or system over the air? I have no way of knowing as I wasn't tracking the software versions.

But with the Nav Guidance Volume setting sticking at my chosen level of 4, BUT it's still not functioning correctly!

This is strange to notice and test. It seems to be using the volume level at the old default 15 loudness, even though the display is showing 4! It's quite loud and easy to hear. But then if you go into the Nav settings menu, choose Nav Guidance and set the volume up one click to 5 (or down one click to 3) and then back to 4 again, now the loudness of the Nav guidance is at the proper softer volume level. So it seems the actual volume of the Nav guidance voice is always very loud until you change the Nav Guidance volume level. This is hard to test as you need to notice the volume level of the guidance sound, and then click it up/down (or down/up) and then notice the change in volume.

So it's unknown to me why the Nav Guidance volume level is working differently than in the first month of me owning the truck, but it's still not implemented correctly, in that you will be startled by the volume of the Nav Guidance.

I test it by setting the Speed Limit warning on. You can set to give a warning at or above/below the posted speed limit. Under normal use, I keep this speed limit warning set to +10 MPH over the speed limit, but during testing you can lower this and cause the Nav unit to talk almost on demand by speeding up or down. LOL

I have the 8.4 display with Nav and the standard 6 speaker 'radio' (NOT Alpine nor HK) on the Bighorn.

Sorry for the long post, I'm trying to provide as much info as I can on this frustrating issue.

Is anyone else seeing this?
You must not play your radio that loud!! 4 would never cut it for me. I have it set to 18! I must be deaf. Hah

Rich

Reaction score
You must not play your radio that loud!! 4 would never cut it for me. I have it set to 18! I must be deaf. Hah

It's cold here so the windows are always closed. Music is played loud when I'm alone. LOL

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm usually pretty good with this sort of stuff, but I don't think I've seen the reset yet, care to give me a hint?

Lots of people have been complaining about the default 15 setting, but I haven't found a fix yet.
On the bottom of the 2nd screen under system...I think...there is a reset ICON/APP. It will reset the system. Also, My brother has a 14 Longhorn and his system started to cycle on/off repeatedly. He found a procedure online to access the maintenance screens. He performed a Maintenance reset from there that rebooted everything and has not had the issue again. I imagine that the reset we can access is a soft reset, while that maintenance reset is a hard reboot.

Rich

Reaction score
On the bottom of the 2nd screen under system...I think...there is a reset ICON/APP. It will reset the system. Also, My brother has a 14 Longhorn and his system started to cycle on/off repeatedly. He found a procedure online to access the maintenance screens. He performed a Maintenance reset from there that rebooted everything and has not had the issue again. I imagine that the reset we can access is a soft reset, while that maintenance reset is a hard reboot.

I know there are selections under the reset to clear my personal data, and to clear my Icons and system selections to default values, but no 'system reset'.

Are you talking about the 'clear personal data' and reset options to 'default'?

rhill

Reaction score
I think my navigation guidance will stay at whatever level I set it, but the speed limit warning always goes back to loud after the truck is turned off. It is like the speed limit warning is not controlled by the navigation voice setting.

Rich

Reaction score
I think my navigation guidance will stay at whatever level I set it, but the speed limit warning always goes back to loud after the truck is turned off. It is like the speed limit warning is not controlled by the navigation voice setting.

On my truck, the speed limit warning is controlled by the nav guidance volume. I'm have the 8.4 radio base 6 speaker version with Nav.

Rich

Reaction score
OK this still is a big problem! LOL

I tried resetting the radio via all three functions available. I had to then reset all my defaults and stations, but I thought I'd give it a try.

The Nav Guidance Volume still resets itself to 15! Damn it's annoying!

It's strange in that it seems to reset itself the first time it needs to speak. I've been checking it every time I get in my truck to try to understand when it changes the setting.

I get in the truck and start it. Go to Nav Settings and Guidance volume and check the setting. Sometimes it remembers my last setting of 4, and other times it's reset itself to 15. If it's not at 4, I change it so it is at 4.

I then drive away. The first time it speaks a speed limit warning the Nav Guidance Volume is at 15! Even though I checked it before I started driving. This leads me to believe that it changes the setting the first time it needs to speak. It's pretty annoying considering that sometimes I had just preset it to 4 before I started my drive!

After a readjustment, I stopped for lunch (less than an hour) and came back, drove away and it was back to 15 again! So this confirms that it doesn't need to sit over night nor for an extended period of time to reset the volume to 15.

To recap, I have the 8.4 w/Nav radio and the base 6 speaker system. I use the speed limit warning and have it set to announce when 10 MPH over the speed limit.

Can anyone figure out specifically when the unit resets the Nav Guidance Volume? And is anyone's volume holding after the truck is shut off?

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like your truck has Gremlins. Seeing that your defrost and Nav seem to be acting up. My Nav volume only changes when I change it. It does not reset after shut off, overnight, or any other time. It has held my set volume for almost 5000 miles. Think you are dealer bound.

Rich

Reaction score
Looks like your truck has Gremlins. Seeing that your defrost and Nav seem to be acting up. My Nav volume only changes when I change it. It does not reset after shut off, overnight, or any other time. It has held my set volume for almost 5000 miles. Think you are dealer bound.

I agree! Can you tell me your screen size (12 or 8.4) and perhaps show the software versions you have? I'll try to list what I have.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree! Can you tell me your screen size (12 or 8.4) and perhaps show the software versions you have? I'll try to list what I have.
I have the 12” in a Limited. I do not know where to find my version.

Rich

Reaction score
I'll look that up I think the dealer more keys?

Can you try the following? Turn on the speed limit warning, and drive around until it tells you are over the limit. Set it to 0 over or -5 if you prefer.

Then after it speaks the over limit one or twice, then go check the nav guidance volume to see it it changed? If not, this could be a difference between the 8 and 12 inch systems?

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll look that up I think the dealer more keys?

Can you try the following? Turn on the speed limit warning, and drive around until it tells you are over the limit. Set it to 0 over or -5 if you prefer.

Then after it speaks the over limit one or twice, then go check the nav guidance volume to see it it changed? If not, this could be a difference between the 8 and 12 inch systems?
Just set the warning in my truck going to dinner. Shut Truck down. Got back in, speed warning is at the volume I left it on. As I have told you before, yours has an issue that mine does not. I think an update to your UConnect will resolve your issue.

Rich

Reaction score
Thanks! Let's see if it sticks forever! :) I wonder if the 12 inch radio is ok here!

Chrisdp23

Reaction score
Rich,

So i barley use my Truck and the navigation even less, with that said, the last time I did use the Navigation, back in January, it had reset back to 15 ( which it had done every other time also) from 4 which was set on Christmas. I have not use the navigation since, but when I went out to check this morning it was set at 3 which is where I had last set it. All I did was start it up and check the number I didn't actually drive it any where. I also have never used the speed warning so I can't give any insight on that. I got into the dealer mode and the version showing for system info Software version was 18.07.37 no that is for UConnect, when I hit the navigation tab it didn't give me a version.

Rich

Reaction score
Rich,

So i barley use my Truck and the navigation even less, with that said, the last time I did use the Navigation, back in January, it had reset back to 15 ( which it had done every other time also) from 4 which was set on Christmas. I have not use the navigation since, but when I went out to check this morning it was set at 3 which is where I had last set it. All I did was start it up and check the number I didn't actually drive it any where. I also have never used the speed warning so I can't give any insight on that. I got into the dealer mode and the version showing for system info Software version was 18.07.37 no that is for UConnect, when I hit the navigation tab it didn't give me a version.

Thanks for the report. Is your the 8 or 12 inch display?

Mine was showing the lower setting for a while, but then seemed to start changing again. That's when I discovered that it seems to change the setting the first time it speaks. So perhaps the few days it seemed to hold the setting was simply me not going 10 over the speed limit? Lol

I like the speed limit warning and thought it was a nice feature, but this volume issue is too painful!

I'll get my software version.

Chrisdp23

Reaction score
Thanks for the report. Is your the 8 or 12 inch display?

Mine was showing the lower setting for a while, but then seemed to start changing again. That's when I discovered that it seems to change the setting the first time it speaks. So perhaps the few days it seemed to hold the setting was simply me not going 10 over the speed limit? Lol

I like the speed limit warning and thought it was a nice feature, but this volume issue is too painful!

I'll get my software version.

I have the 8" screen. We are expecting 6" inches of snow in MD tomorrow so I wont be going out (it's miserable driving on a clear day here in the DC Metro area, add snow and all bets are off) once its clears up i'll take the truck out and see what the nav volume does and respond back.

Users who are viewing this thread