5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect 8.4 nav no sound

rahoho98

Reaction score
Right after buying my 2019 Laramie Longhorn with 66 miles on it, when the brakes began squealing. Was in the shop 3, last time for a month until they got the parts. A little of 3k miles on it and it hasn't made any noises. However, Yesterday was the longest time my radio went out. The first 4 or 5 times I thought I was a bit crazy, maybe a glitch because it seemed to fix itself if you turned it off and restarted it. NOT yesterday. I must have tried that about 4 times, at stop signs, lights, opened the door. I went to the doctor, came out, started it and it was there. I had called the dealer on the way to the doctor and he asked if I could bring it in. I know from the past experiences they won't find the issue. I asked if he had heard of this and he said not on the Rams but other 8.4's. It also feels like it bogs down a bit. I'm so extremely disappointed in this truck. It took the pure joy and happiness out of buying a new truck. I truly wish they'd buy it back.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This has happened to me twice. Both times it resolved itself. I haven’t taken it to the dealer as I’m sure they will have no idea as usual. Too many electronics

Bhill47

Reaction score
I have this same problem weekly. I've been disconnecting the negative cable every time. I had no idea you could just hit the button on the back of the steering wheel. Soon as I pushed it, the sound came back. Thanks for the help.

TheCloudX

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm glad it helped you out. Surprisingly the issue never came back, fingers crossed.

Happened again today. Was trying to remember what the fix was and the wife perked up and said wasn't it a steering wheel button lol - this is why we marry great women!

Zinger

Reaction score
I just had this issue hit me for the first time in 6 months of ownership. Thank goodness for this thread. The steering wheel button was the fix. This truck is eerily quiet with no audio.

Rknapp

Reaction score
This! Created an account just to thank you for this. Our month old Bighorn had no sound today. Ironically the wife and I didn't notice there was no music until we were parking and the sensors weren't beeping. Tried numerous restarts and all buttons on the radio itself. The steering wheel button did the trick.

I've also had the no backup camera bug that self fixed itself after a hour. I complained about that one to the dealership and was told Ram is aware of multiple issues with the 8.4nav and that there should be a fix coming in the spring via a software push.
I have exactly the same problem with my 2019 black edition. No sound from radio, navigation system, no sound from safety equivalent (blind spot, front and back sensors) no SOS or Uconnect assist) it happened 4 times. (In summary, no sound from anything). The first time I took to the dealer, they removed the negative and reset the system. The dealer has NO SOLUTION for this issue. I contacted the FCA and although some staff are very responsive, my case manager is just not human. This is a safety issue and NO ONE at FCA is working on this. i actually offered my car for them to disassemble and nope. they want me to take it to the dealership every time it happen. BTW every time I take It to the dealer, the service manager salutes me and immediate say “we still don’t have a fix for it”. 8k miles on it.

Steve F.

Reaction score
I just had this issue hit me for the first time in 6 months of ownership. Thank goodness for this thread. The steering wheel button was the fix. This truck is eerily quiet with no audio.
Well it just happened to me today as well. About a month of ownership. 8.4 inch screen with NAV. Jumped in truck....fired it up.....no music....no beeps....no nothing. Was about to pull the negative terminal on the battery, but came in the house and found this thread. Thank heavens. Back button on right side of steering wheel did the trick with one click. This thread has been going for a good while....can't believe there's not a fix for this.

BluesFan1985

Reaction score
Does anyone know if an update has come out to fix this? I have had it happen more frequently the past month or so. If anyone has heard of a recall to fix this issue let me know so I can take it to the dealer. Super annoying to have to hit the steering wheel control, I'm assuming at some point this will stop being a work around.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone know if an update has come out to fix this? I have had it happen more frequently the past month or so. If anyone has heard of a recall to fix this issue let me know so I can take it to the dealer. Super annoying to have to hit the steering wheel control, I'm assuming at some point this will stop being a work around.

I have not heard of a fix yet, would not be a recall as those are for safety issues. It would come in the form of a TSB, I've had all the updates done but I still get this issue once every other month or so it will happen.

reconshaun

Reaction score
Every time I have addressed these issues with my dealer, they have stated that there is a massive update due some time this quarter to address all of these issues. They have also said the FCA will not allow them to replace any units until this update comes out due to the amount of issues.

TiffanyMason

Reaction score
I bought a 2019 Bighorn last week and the sound has gone out. I took it to the dealer for them to obviously have no clue what was going on. They installed the newest update, no fix. So they’ve ordered a new system that should be here by the end of the week. Hopefully this fixes the issue. I only have sound about every 5th time I crank my truck up and I’m not a girl that can ride with no radio. I need music!

EGD

Reaction score
yup, hit the button on back of wheel is the 'fix' for now. Someday over the rainbow.... That is a song.

1200GS

Reaction score
I had this issue on the way to work this morning, no radio when I started the truck but finally came on as got was almost to work. I was messing with the buttons and when hit the button on the back of the steering wheel that changes between XM/FM/SAT it finally came on.
This just totally worked for me, thank you!!!

Phdusuka

Reaction score
2019 Ram Rebel. I've owned it for 3 months now. Uconnect was buggy almost every time and now the sound is not working. I've tried the button on the back of the steering wheel, turning it off then on, disconnecting the negative battery terminal, ...all of it. I have an appointment at the dealership tomorrow, but I'm about to cancel it because they aren't going to know nearly as much as i have learned on here. Apparently, Uconnect is garbage

UPDATE: Took it to a dealer service department in Crestview, FL, then ran tests and came to the conclusion that it is the Active Noise Cancelling Module (under the driver seat). They ordered the part. I will keep you guys posted

Last edited:

drsmitty74

Reaction score
I just had this happen to me today for the first time. My truck must turned 22K miles. Has now happened once yesterday and once today. Makes for a 5 hour drive back home pretty awful without a radio. I sure hope this gets fixed quick. The source button o the back of the steering wheel did not work for me. I had to let it sit for a couple hours before it started working again. I wont put up with this if it continues yes to happen. Called the dealer today and made an appt on Monday for this and for a THIRD brake pad change.

jasonkg

Reaction score
just bought my 2019 Laramie 5 days ago ,and on my way home from work today, all of a sudden no sound. Shut the truck off waited 10 minutes restarted truck and I have sound again.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My 4C Nav has acted up couple times. One was no sound or backup camera on the way to work in the morning, worked fine at lunch time.
Other time was audio pausing every 5 seconds or so on my drive home one evening. Dealer speculated that an over the air update might have bogged down the system... I almost tend to believe that.

Users who are viewing this thread