5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect 8.4 nav no sound

Crowmag

Reaction score
Are you guys pulling F12 in the "Internal Power Distribution Center" for the no sound issue?

Griff007

Reaction score
I am glad to see there is a forum for this issue my wife just had this issue happen to her. Her truck is a 2018 ram with less the 9000 km and the only thing that have happened so far is the XM wasn't working the other week and now the muted radio while connected to usb. I was reading the other forums and supposedly they released a fix for this in late November. We had just bought the truck in January and they installed an update when they we doing the pre purchase cleaning and thing. So if that was the update it did not seem to help the issue I will get her to try the steering wheel fix and let you know if I find out anymore info.

Midnight1

Reaction score
I had this issue on the way to work this morning, no radio when I started the truck but finally came on as got was almost to work. I was messing with the buttons and when hit the button on the back of the steering wheel that changes between XM/FM/SAT it finally came on. I did switch between all these options first on the screen and navigation and no sound on anything.

I tried this and it worked!!
Next would've been the amp fuse pull.

NHREBEL2

Reaction score
I had this issue on the way to work this morning, no radio when I started the truck but finally came on as got was almost to work. I was messing with the buttons and when hit the button on the back of the steering wheel that changes between XM/FM/SAT it finally came on. I did switch between all these options first on the screen and navigation and no sound on anything.

Had black 8" screen this AM. No sound, no stations, no nav, no CarPlay, not even compass or station on the ****pit screen either. Heater worked but couldn't tell what temp was set too. Tried all the dials and buttons on the console, nothing.

Was going to detach the battery terminal when I found this. 10 seconds after using the steering wheel controls everything came back on.

BTW, before all this crap, I had started the truck remotely, then entered and hit the start button. Got out with the FOB in my pocket to clean the snow off. Key FOB warning when I got back in then screen went black FWIW.

It seems these trucks don't like it when the FOB leaves the vehicle while running.

tacoma96

Reaction score
My 2019 Bighorn Lonestar has less than 3000 miles on it and I have had the backup camera stop working from time to time, the volume on the radio for all functions go out and my steering tighten up or loss power assist for very brief moments while in turns or slight corrections in turns. My feeling is I have no plans on disconnecting the battery or pulling fuses nor can I waste my time running back and forth to dealers with what is obviously shoddy design and attention to details in software development. I didn't sell my old 2001 Tundra with 201,000 miles on it and buy a new truck with an MSRP of $52K to go through this nonsense. I chose the new Ram because of the other brand offerings and after the typical brief test drives I liked it the most. It was very quiet, smooth and comfortable and with the Hemi had terrific power. If these gremlins persist I will just take the beating and trade it in on a new Tundra

Last edited:

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
My 2019 Bighorn Lonestar has less than 3000 miles on it and I have had the backup camera stop working from time to time, the volume on the radio for all functions go out and my steering tighten up or loss power assist for very brief moments while in turns or slight corrections in turns. My feeling is I have no plans on disconnecting the battery or pulling fuses nor can I waste my time running back and forth to dealers with what is obviously shoddy design and attention to details in software development. I didn't sell my old 2001 Tundra with 201,000 miles on it and buy a new truck with an MSRP of $52K to go through this nonsense. I chose the new Ram because of the other brand offerings and after the typical brief test drives I liked it the most. It was very quiet, smooth and comfortable and with the Hemi had terrific power. If these gremlins persist I will just take the beating and trade it in on a new Tundra

I totally agree. I traded in my 2011 4Runner, with absolutely no issues with 123,000KMs, for this $70K truck. I decided on the RAM over the F150 because of the technical specs and features it offered. I looked at other manufacturers, but they were obviously no match in terms of bang for the buck.

I guess I should have considered that TRD PRO Tundra. At least I know it would work without a thought, retain value more than this, and not give me any issues from its intended design.

C'mon FCA, get it together. I'm taking this as a learning lesson, I should never consider a vehicle from a manufacturer that claimed bankruptcy less than 10 years ago, or consider a vehicle that's built in a city that's falling apart (financially and physically).

tacoma96

Reaction score
Well this morning I lost the backup camera again in my new Ram and even after several starts and stops it has not come back on - just a black screen. This is so disappointing that a feature offered on the some of the least expensive models from many manufacturers for over a decade and worked flawlessly FCA can't get right. We also bought a 2018 Dodge Charger GT AWD this summer - I had convinced my wife to trade in her 2016 Subaru CrossTrek which never saw the dealer except for oil changes for the Charger which was larger, loaded and offered much better performance and this FCA vehicle as well has nearly the same electronic gremlins. Many days I come home to see her display fully active with the maps and radio as well as the display between the gauge illuminated and it just won't turn off. Also both vehicles constantly display weather alerts for weather not in my area and you can't turn them off. Sorry for venting but the reason for driving newer vehicles is more about not needing repairs or service visits and making payments for that peace of mind than not making payments and paying for repairs and spending time at service visits. Today folks are so busy working and with family that owning a problematic vehicle is just not acceptable or possible. I guess we will see how it goes and see if at some point we need to just cry uncle and jettison the 2 FCA vehicles for a brand that does their homework and invest in quality design and testing before releasing their products to an unsuspecting public for them to trouble shoot.

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
Well this morning I lost the backup camera again in my new Ram and even after several starts and stops it has not come back on - just a black screen. This is so disappointing that a feature offered on the some of the least expensive models from many manufacturers for over a decade and worked flawlessly FCA can't get right. We also bought a 2018 Dodge Charger GT AWD this summer - I had convinced my wife to trade in her 2016 Subaru CrossTrek which never saw the dealer except for oil changes for the Charger which was larger, loaded and offered much better performance and this FCA vehicle as well has nearly the same electronic gremlins. Many days I come home to see her display fully active with the maps and radio as well as the display between the gauge illuminated and it just won't turn off. Also both vehicles constantly display weather alerts for weather not in my area and you can't turn them off. Sorry for venting but the reason for driving newer vehicles is more about not needing repairs or service visits and making payments for that peace of mind than not making payments and paying for repairs and spending time at service visits. Today folks are so busy working and with family that owning a problematic vehicle is just not acceptable or possible. I guess we will see how it goes and see if at some point we need to just cry uncle and jettison the 2 FCA vehicles for a brand that does their homework and invest in quality design and testing before releasing their products to an unsuspecting public for them to trouble shoot.

Totally hear you on this. I'm not one to complain much on forums, because who is really listening? But seriously, this will probably be my first and last FCA product.

Looking at a TRD PRO Tacoma or Tundra...

tacoma96

Reaction score
I know but wanted to vent and yes sadly my last FCA product as well.

Fundsfordad

Reaction score
Okay, so a follow up to my last log. Took the car into Dodge and they ran a diagnostics and did a reset. The employee at dodge had said everything came back normal, and these cars are too new to diagnose anything (which makes sense). After the reset from Dodge, the radio worked fine for a few weeks, then the audio went out again. I messed with the buttons on the back side of the steering wheel and the audio started working again - it's a quick fix to a frustrating problem.
Just when I thought I had a solution to this radio problem something new happened - while backing into a parking spot my radio was playing SXM at level 10 volume. Then out of no where the volume blared to the max blowing out my ear drums! I immediately lowered the volume, thinking that would fix the problem but no change in the sound, until the volume hit 0, where there was no sound. I thought maybe it was the radio station that had problems, so I changed the station and increased the volume to 1, and the audio sounded like it was maxed out!! In volume 1! I shut the car off and have yet to start it up again, as I'm out at dinner. Wondering if anyone else had this same problem?
Good evening, I have 2 week old new body style 400 miles , I was leaving parking lot today my my SXM went to level 10 ! Blasting my ears as well ! They are still ringing ! No way to control it or turn it down , had to turn off ! This would seriously maybe cause a wreck ! It will scare the you know what out of you ! I turned it off , back on changed bands and channels , full blast volume ! A few miles later with radio off used my Siri to send text message and it turned my radio back on and it was full blast ! My ears seriously hurt ! And that’s no joke . They better get a handle on this soon ! It’s an accident waiting to happen ,when something like that happens on the interstate or to an elderly person who doesn’t know how to quickly shut it off . Two hours later back to normal ! For today anyways I’m sure it’ll reappear!

hunteragp

Reaction score
My issue is slightly different... Everything works perfectly until someone calls me (while connected to Android Auto) and my driver's side speakers stop working. I can't replicate the problem when playing music through bluetooth or AUX. I have to turn the truck off for about a minute then start it back on to get things back to normal. By reading through this thread I feel that taking it to the dealership will be a waste of time...

jfelderh

Reaction score
Had same issue just now and saw your fix. Worked. Hope they get an update out soon. Also got a brake squeal.

Jenks

Reaction score
2019 Ram Rebel purchased 4 weeks ago with 1058 miles currently. Started the truck this morning to go to work and backed out of the driveway. Once I got on the road the back up camera was displaying on the 12" screen and no sound was coming from the speakers. Turned it off and on a few times and the back up camera went away but still have no sound in any mode??? Frustrating. Have also had a few buggy things occur like freezing and buttons not working in the past.

EGD

Reaction score
Twice my 8.4 would go mute and did not matter which band, AM/FM/XM. after a bit it would start to play again. By chance it was at dealer twice and they 'could not replicate' issue. Guess I sit tight until it fails completely or there is a bug fix download.

Jenks

Reaction score
2019 Ram Rebel purchased 4 weeks ago with 1058 miles currently. Started the truck this morning to go to work and backed out of the driveway. Once I got on the road the back up camera was displaying on the 12" screen and no sound was coming from the speakers. Turned it off and on a few times and the back up camera went away but still have no sound in any mode??? Frustrating. Have also had a few buggy things occur like freezing and buttons not working in the past.

Turned it off before I shut the truck off. Got back in the truck for lunch and after starting the truck turned on the stereo and there is sound again?

dbum

Reaction score
I have a 2019 RAM Rebel (Uconnect 8.4 inch) and it has the same issue. About every 1 out of 10 times I start the vehicle there is no audio. If I turn off the car and wait over 30 min, the audio usually returns. If I pull out the fuse for the Uconnect system (F44), the system resets itself and the audio returns. To me, it seems like some kind of CAN bus issue between the Uconnect system and the amplifier. Typical Chrysler, but this is kind of BS on a truck that MSRPs at over $57K. Hopefully, enough people will complain so that Chrysler finally updates the Uconnect firmware to correct the issue.

zagsaddict

Reaction score
Thank you! I bought a Rebel last month and have had this issue twice now. Found this fix this morning, and it worked right away.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
According to my service manager, an update/TSB for the 8 4 was released May 4th... no idea if it will be pushed over the air or dealer/owner download.

EGD

Reaction score
According to my service manager, an update/TSB for the 8 4 was released May 4th... no idea if it will be pushed over the air or dealer/owner download.
If someone hears about how that will be implemented, please share.

joemosfet

Reaction score
My '19 Rebel has the same intermittent audio issues. I'm glad I found this thread, I'll try the steering wheel controls and see if that's a quick fix. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online