5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect 5 Box requires service . . .

mattee

Reaction score
I have an appointment on the 23rd with another dealer who says they have had success with these errors. We'll see how it goes.🤞

U

User_3336

I have an appointment on the 23rd with another dealer who says they have had success with these errors. We'll see how it goes.🤞
Keep us updated! Did you you show the dealer the PDF of the TSB? Did the other dealer state what they've done to fix the issue?

mattee

Reaction score
He just said they've had some success with the problem. He did say they have to take the dash apart i'm guessing to get to the telematics box. He said sometimes it's as simple as a bad connection but that they have replaced the box/antenna module/and cables at times. I don't know how they determine what to replace I'm hoping they can figure it out. fortunately mine doesn't give the error all the time. it goes in spurts, it will do it at every startup for a few days then it won't do it for a couple weeks or a month, then it starts again.

U

User_3336

He just said they've had some success with the problem. He did say they have to take the dash apart i'm guessing to get to the telematics box. He said sometimes it's as simple as a bad connection but that they have replaced the box/antenna module/and cables at times. I don't know how they determine what to replace I'm hoping they can figure it out. fortunately mine doesn't give the error all the time. it goes in spurts, it will do it at every startup for a few days then it won't do it for a couple weeks or a month, then it starts again.
Ironically, mine is just the error. Originally, I didn't have the error on startup. THEN, the "uconnect box" did an OTA update. That's what screwed it up, and made that error.
All the functions work fine, including the call button at the top. I can call customer service, roadside service, and ram connect all fine, however, the buttons on the top are always RED (not green).
So, at this point, I think mine is just a software glitch.

Question. Have you tried pushing the blue button on the top and see if it actually works (calls RAM)?
Are your buttons red? Are there any parts of your UCONNECT that do not work?

s8er01z

Reaction score
Hmmmm. just the antenna and the cable? No telematics box replacement required? It would be interesting to see your service order in detail. Can you post it (with personal information redacted)?
I had the radio and tbm replaced prior to this with no change. Hopefully this is what you were after on the service order. IMG_0228.jpeg

mattee

Reaction score
Ironically, mine is just the error. Originally, I didn't have the error on startup. THEN, the "uconnect box" did an OTA update. That's what screwed it up, and made that error.
All the functions work fine, including the call button at the top. I can call customer service, roadside service, and ram connect all fine, however, the buttons on the top are always RED (not green).
So, at this point, I think mine is just a software glitch.

Question. Have you tried pushing the blue button on the top and see if it actually works (calls RAM)?
Are your buttons red? Are there any parts of your UCONNECT that do not work?
When I get the error my buttons at the top are red the whole time I'm driving. I did push the call button and it starts to connect the call but I canceled it. Also when I get the error I noticed that the voice command feature does not work. It will listen but does not execute the command. When I don't have the error my buttons are not lit at all, no red or green.

s8er01z

Reaction score
Good to have as documentation! :) thanks!
Agreed. I know the vehicles are different but the issue seems to present the same and the fix may end up all being the same in the end. I hope they can get it fixed for you guys who are suffering. I’ve had the problem for nearly a year and they are just now replacing parts after months of “there is an update coming” nonsense. 😞

s8er01z

Reaction score
Just wanted to bump this, no more errors since the fix they did. Nearly a month now without the error and I had a dozen a day minimum before. Hopefully some of you guys are seeing some success with this on your end as well. 🍻

Shlippery

Reaction score
Hi MidnightExpre$$,
Sorry to hear about this! Are you able to close out of the message? Feel free to send us a PM with your VIN. We'd be happy to assist further with this.

Sarah
Ram Cares
Hi. I know this is an old thread but I am getting this same error every start on a new to me 2022 Ram 1500. Would we be able to look into this over PM?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hi. I know this is an old thread but I am getting this same error every start on a new to me 2022 Ram 1500. Would we be able to look into this over PM?
Ramcares doesn't provide technical support, they are only customer "service" and will say to go to the dealership.
There is a rechargeable lithium ion battery (like used in LED flashlights) inside of a black box that is likely just getting low.
It powers the device that passes through GPS, and provides cell\connected services.
Could check the firmware on the head unit to make sure it's the current version, everything else involves that black box behind the glovebox, unless you are good with taking your truck apart and can solder a new battery onto the leeds, or want to remove connected services (the entire box) and just keep XM and GPS you would want to take it to the dealership.

MidnightExpre$$

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't know if your issue is the same as the problem I had. With that said, I would send a direct message to Ram Cares. They checked into my issue and saw that an update was going to be pushed out over the air. It corrected my problem - I never had to visit a service department for it.

Shlippery

Reaction score
Ramcares doesn't provide technical support, they are only customer "service" and will say to go to the dealership.
There is a rechargeable lithium ion battery (like used in LED flashlights) inside of a black box that is likely just getting low.
It powers the device that passes through GPS, and provides cell\connected services.
Could check the firmware on the head unit to make sure it's the current version, everything else involves that black box behind the glovebox, unless you are good with taking your truck apart and can solder a new battery onto the leeds, or want to remove connected services (the entire box) and just keep XM and GPS you would want to take it to the dealership.

I have an appointment Friday at the dealer for an inspection so I will have them look at it. Only comes up when I use remote start from keyfob or randomly while driving every so often.

Shlippery

Reaction score
I don't know if your issue is the same as the problem I had. With that said, I would send a direct message to Ram Cares. They checked into my issue and saw that an update was going to be pushed out over the air. It corrected my problem - I never had to visit a service department for it.

I sent them a PM. I checked my VIN on UConnects site and there weren’t any available updates according to them.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I sent them a PM. I checked my VIN on UConnects site and there weren’t any available updates according to them.
The website always says that.
What firmware version of the radio itself are you on?

This is the picture of the uConnect box for reference, along with an illegal warranty void if removed sticker I yanked off.
1713478401968.jpeg

Shlippery

Reaction score
The website always says that.
What firmware version of the radio itself are you on?

This is the picture of the uConnect box for reference, along with an illegal warranty void if removed sticker I yanked off.
View attachment 181400

I can check when I get the truck back tomorrow. The dealer basically said that he had an update he installed but it didn’t resolve it and to wait to see if a new update is released eventually. I am pretty versed in soldering so if I end up having to I am not against replacing the battery to see if it helps. Is that an 18650?

Shlippery

Reaction score
This is the error mine gets. Now every start. Was yours the same? IMG_0893.png

Users who are viewing this thread